Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

As much as I'd love a Z-16

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stickseler, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

There is no freakin way I'd pay this much.... For this :confused:

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Bidding up to $35k, and the freakin' reserve hasn't been hit yet...? What am I missing? I see people (apparently) willing to shell out $35k for a quite-rusty body & frame that look to me like a shoebox Nova... I must not understand the significance of a Z-16.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the Chevelle is a much more attractive, better designed machine than the Nova/Chevy II. its full framed, where the Nova/Chevy II has a subframe.

the significance of the Z16 is the fact that it was the first Chevelle offered with a 396 ci big block (or any big block for that matter). '64 and '65 cars are valuable anyways because they're so uncommon. add in the ultra limited run of 396ci cars, and you've got people with more money that brains, you end up with auctions like this.

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

OK, I guess that makes a bit more sense, but still... we're talking about a rusty body & frame. No drivetrain, and no 12B axle (apparently that's important - the seller answered some questions in his added text on the sale page). Even after a frame-off resto, this won't be a numbers-matching car.

Ahhh f**kit, it's not worth wasting my time over. I figured it when I first checked out the link, and you confirmed it - more money than brains.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I know where a 2 door 65 Chevelle with a tilt front end is sitting in a barn. No engine or transmission, but other then that, it's all there and in good condition. Believe it or not, it doesn't even have any surface rust. Belongs to a friend I've known sense I was a kid. Ronny isn't doing anything with it, and when I talked to him on the phone 10 mins ago, he said I can have it for $100.00 and he'll hold it for me till I get moved back down that way. It's not a Z-16, but does it matter ?? Think I'll have too buy it just for the heck of it once I get moved back down that way.

6. Stickseler

Only 201 total were built (1 was rumored a convertable)and I belive it was the first Chevy to get a BB. Even with all that I couldnt see spending more than 500 for that shell who cares if it was a Z16 now its just a rusting hulk of Chevelle :crazy:

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

first bb chevy?
    what about the 409?

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

The 348 came before the 409 but both are not in the same family as the Mark series of big blocks. There for the 396 was the first "true" big block. I'm not so sure that the Z16 was the first car off the line with the 396 since the Corvette was also offered with the 396 in 1965. So maybe a 396 Vett rolled out first!!!!!!!
    Anyways I would kill for a Z16 to Me that is the ultimate muscle car bar none. To bad the option was not offered in 1964 cause I focking dig the 64 Malibu SS. Oh and I am an idiot for selling My 64 SS 327/4 speed :mad: It's cool though cause some day I will have another.

9. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

so since you guys seem so to know so much about older cars...is my 64 impala ss 327 2 speed worth much of anything?

its in good condition interior and exterior interior only problem is a cracked dash ;/ exterior has only little rust and dented bumpers and the previous owner welded a hitch to the rear bumper i plan on redoing most of it when i get the money and grage to do it in

sorry for the hijack ;D

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

If it's a numbers matching car then yes it's worth money. It will not be worth what a 4 speed model would be worth though. Old Impalas like that have gone way up in value due to the fact that all the rap/hip hop stars are buying them up left and right to make into bling machines. I like old Impalas but only in stock form. Check out some Impala sites and You could probably get some better info.

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

my uncle has a 65 396 SS 3 speed. Maybe a 4 i cant remember... leather interior and power everything for its time. mostly factory origonal paint and all body panels/engine. told me about 10 years ago he would sell it to me for 10k.. wish i had taken it then....
    grant

12. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

ahh, the good ole days...

...when speedometers went to 160 and cars came STOCK with a big block.

:D

13. Stickseler

The Corvette rolled off after the Chevelle, and like you I keep kicking myself for selling my 65 SS 327 and I will get another. I actualy had to sell it because the drive from LeJeune to DC every other weekend @ 8 MPG was killing me plus the ride kinda hurt after a 5+ hour trip each way.

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

not a Chevelle, but a very close cousin, and also a '65... it was a freebie, and i cut it up and scrapped it. still have the VIN and title around here somewhere. factory 327/PG car, tore it down and found it was entirely too much work to save.

28606307weQLebvcsh_ph.jpg

15. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I like the 62 Impala....just an awesome looking car. Give me an all stock SS 409 in red and the only thing I would change? Put some 18" American Racing Torq Thrust II polished wheels on it so it can get traction.....damn, I'm drooling now...