Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*ASAP* Should I replace the fuel pump?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89GMCSuburban, Feb 28, 2002.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I have an intermittent problem with the fuel pump not turning on. It's happened twice. When it wasn't working, I know it had power to the connector right before the tank. Should i replace the fuel pump to be safe, or just let it go? Is it the fuel pump or something simple. Wires are good, ECM fuse isn't blown, Relay is brand new. Thanks for any help!!

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

If it had power going in but no fuel coming out then yeah I would change it. I wouldn't throw it away though, keep it as a spare, for you know it works sometimes.

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the <a target="_blank" href=http://mandydyer.tripod.com/55WillysWagon4x4.htm>damn thing</a>!!

3. Mobile_Mechanic

Mobile_Mechanic Registered Member

I had a fuel pump do that to me a bunch of years ago. Happened twice so I pulled it out and had it checked. The guy at the garage I went to said it was good so I put it back in (no money I was in college) . I was driving in the middle of nowhere and it finally died. 70 miles for the tow and $200 to have a new one replaced. I would replace it.

'84 K30, 6" suspension, 3"body, 350, 350, NP205
    D60, 14 FF W/Detroit, 4.56 Gears, 35" Ground Hawgs