Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ask More Questions

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by VA-NC-SC, Jan 16, 2003.

1. VA-NC-SC

VA-NC-SC Registered Member

I like CB forums but this one seems to be dead, come on you guys develop some problems so that we can help you fix them :-) or at least ask questions ;-).

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

There isnt too much activity here thats for sure. Mainly a truck site. there is some though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Alright Rick.....I'll ask you a few!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I've got a new CB radio and Wilson Trucker 5000 antenna. I did some quick reading that said the antenna is the "key" to good reception....even more so than an expensive CB. As it turns out I bought a pretty expensive CB too (lots of pretty lights and knobs)

Anyway.....to the antenna and basic theory of operation:

The antenna uses a coaxial cable to connect to the CB itself. This to me suggests a power wire and return ground are inside the cable. However, I hear about needing to have metal contact for best "signal"....as if the mounting bracket is somehow carrying electrical grounding through the chassis??? Or is the metal surface near the antenna simple acting like the parabolic dish on satellite TV?.....you know, focusing the airborne energy into the actual antenna???

Is the antenna supposed to be electrically isolated from the bracket that holds it? I notice that there are rubber standoffs in the bracket kits which makes me even more confused. Another thing with the Wilson Trucker antenna, is that it has that huge "bulge" in the antenna itself. I was hoping to create a bumper mount for it, but I don't want that big plastic thing slapping my truck, so I was planning to create a bracket off the bedside (and above the bulge) to stabilize it....can I use metal for that or will it mess up my signal? Could I make the bracket out of something non-conductive (like plastic) to avoid messing up the signal?

BTW -> The CB is always the last thing on my mind when scrambling to get ready for a trail ride, so the last couple times I just did a "cheeseball" wiring job and mounting system for the antenna to at least have something....my CB barely worked at all, so I have a feeling that the antenna is more critical than simple "plug and play"......Ironically, when I borrowed one of those magnetic base 18" antennas, it worked BETTER than my fancy antenna!!!

See what happens, when you show up in "Audio" and tell me you know about CB stuff ???? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I would say a mirror mount would probley work good for your app. The buldge in the antennna is the load. And yeah, I wouldn't want it slapping the side of the K5 either. I would also try a ( quick release ) so you can pull the antenna if need be on the trail. There should be 2 set screws on the antenna so you can move the stinger up-n-down to adjust the SWR's. Try to get them as low as possible. Make sure the coax isn't coiled up anywhere also.

5. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

Durn Greg, you ask some toughies. First off they do need to be isolated that's why that rubber is in those mounts. Your "parabolic effect" would actually come from the vehicle body itself. That's why the antenna mounted in the smack middle of the roof is the best spot for transmitting and receiving. It makes it non-directional. If you look at a large set of base cb antennas they will point one way and have a set of "ground planes" behind the beams to act like reflectors. So in auto apps the vehicles metal body acts as your gound plane, ie. "parobolic reflector". If you mount it on your rear bumper it will be "aimed" more towards the rear.

The 5000 is a great antenna and capable of handling about any power that can be thrown at it. It won't be quite as receptive as some cheaper antennas due to it's better tuning. Kind of like sticking a coat hanger on a tv. It'll start picking up any crap because it's not selective.

That 5000 will probably work best on the fender. Get you a lip mount for it and put it in your hood, fender gap if it's the sw version. The sw version has a long shaft and short whip. If yours has the short shaft and long whip you probably need to put it on the mirror. With that short shaft your swr's are going to be higher since it transmits through the whip and it will be below your roof line. You want to try to get that load as close as possible to the roof line to help lower that swr ratio. You can pick up longer shafts if needed and I'm sure some kind of quick-connect setup has to be available. If not, just carry some vise-grips,lol.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    If you mount it on your rear bumper it will be "aimed" more towards the rear.

[/ QUOTE ] I thought that would aim the signal more forward. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. 502 4x4

502 4x4 1/2 ton status

Hey Greg
    I was pretty heavy into CB's in the 70's and 80's and was pretty up on the mobile and base equipment of the day. I still own a pretty extensive base station collection. Rather than type a couple page response to your CB antenna inquiry regarding mounting and signal radiation charcteristics, I've included a link to what I feel is a well written explanation of mobile antenna theory. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm sure this will add some clarity to the "mobile antenna mystique". /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Mobile CB Antennas
    Mike

8. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

Well it would if it was say on the rear of the roof but with the body blocking the signal it will be more rear directional. That's a good reference there 502.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've currently got a 102 mounted on my overhead light bar, but when I have the custom rear bumper made, I plan on mounting it on the swing-out tire carrier. The very bottom of the spring will be just above the top of the tailgate lip. I plan to hang the spare tire low enough that it won't block the view from the back window.

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've got a 5 foot firestick mounted high up and as far back as I could on the rear quarterpanel. It seems to work out pretty well for me.