Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Asking 2 questions in 2 forums....

Discussion in 'Feedback | Site Announcements' started by ChevyCaGal, Sep 8, 2002.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Not that I have anything against helping people (I need tons myself)... but it seems people are starting to post questions they have in both the Garage and in the Main 4x4 forum (I've even seen a couple in 3 forums!). It's kind of confussing to help someone if someone else is already telling them stuff in the other forum and you didn't realize it and are spending time telling them what someone else just did. So what to do? Maybe make a sticky saying pick a forum any forum and then make the post there? I just think it makes things less confussing and easier for sure when helping someone is all...

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Only problem I see w/ the sticky option is that the 1st 2 pages of any forum would be nothing but sticky posts. The other board I go to has the sticky option but there is only 50-60 of us there, (and about 10 of us are from here)and its a fairly local site.

3. ChevyCaGal

I am saying make a sticky, like people making stickies for their questions. I am saying Steve telling folks pick a forum and post up the question there and not twice or three times. It simply makes it easier to help someone this way and doesn't push everyone elses questions down the page and off who have only posted up their question once....

4. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

A little redirect may be in order. the garage has become
    Q&A forum II. when first started up it was general shop talk, now it's the same as the main forum. Got lots of traffic here. May be need a Bloody Knuckle in the Garage.
    Take out or rename Off Topic, Garage or Bloody knuckle just to keep the topics in order. I like the members only deal, but I think we have one to many forums (at least) going on.
    We see multiple posts cause there are two high traffic general forums. Maybe time for Suspention, Driveline, & Body forums. Possibly a little shuffle and delete of forums.
    Maybe I should I should go back to my Captian Morgan Screw Driver & watch the Osbourns...
    Jim /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I agree with Jim...but it all comes down to what Steve thinks is best. I get a little annoyed posting help and then seeing the same post in another forum...

Rene

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Thats a good idea. The Chevelle site that I go to has that setup and it seems to work well.

7. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

I also agree with Jim and like his ideas.

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't think I have ever done it (and if I have sorry), but I think it is because some people don't go into certain forums, and people who have questions want as many people to see it as possible. My suggestion (and take it for what it's worth) is that if people feel they need to post in multiple forums (the same question), that they ask the question in one forum and post a link to that question in the other forum. For example post a question in the second gen forum and in the garage creating a post with the same subject and when you open the post, have a link to the post in the second gen forum. A slightly different version of the sticky note. Yes it does take up one more post on another forum, but it does prevent multiple posting of solutions. Now if somebody post the same tech question in the for sale section and in the feedback section and the test section ect. then we need to do something about THAT post/poster.

My $.02

I can make make change for that /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. ChevyCaGal

It's not a big deal... if they link the posts that'd be great. That's what I was thinking of the most. Because getting the most help is what it's all about. It'd possibly help from having contradicting advice or someone spending an hour typing out something and researching something when someone already beat them to it... what happened to me a few weeks ago... I didn't mind doing the work looking up the info but someone beat to to it... doh!