Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Asking her parents permission tonight

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GEORGIA GABE, Nov 15, 2005.

1. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

(warning... this post was brought back from the dead from 2005. )

I am Going over to my girlfreinds house to ask for her hand in marrage tonight. I think I will be more nervous doing that then asking her!! I bought the ring this last weekend, and on saturday we will be in the florida keys so Im gonna do it then. any suggestions (besides dont do it) :D
    gabe

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Rock on. Make sure to do it in private though, every woman I've ever spoken to said they absolutely would not want to be proposed to in a public place.

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

ask for his blessing, not permission, i asked for my father inlaws permission to marry his daughter, he said i didnt need his permission, but his blessing. made since to me

4. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Asking her parents permission tonight -- i did that too and i am not that much older then you (1971)

1 i would just do it some place quite and just realise as soon as you pop the big ? you will get your ? and she will call her complete famly and every frend she has had :rolleyes:
    2 the wedding is only 1 day try to get her to understand it is not werth going in the poor house over
    3 you have herd the first year is the hardest well it is it just is all your good stuff gets a one way trip to the trash and her crap is in it's place. your truck gets a new name from the 4x4 she called it to the rust ball or junk truck :doah: but do it and good luck it will be the best thing you could do :D

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

How do you go about asking her parents. I am in the same boat, but am more nervous over her parents than her. (can't just say, "hey did you see the packers sunday? Oh BTW can I marry your daughter??")

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Congrats man, and good luck!

If you're pretty tight with the Dad, no suggestions needed. My wife's Dad and I are pretty tight, but when I asked him, all he cared about was that she wasn't marrying any of the previous idiots she had dated, and I was employed, stable and treated her well.

7. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

thats funny!!, I am going to their house to have dinner with her mother and father. we have been dating for 4 years and I have never been to their house without Heather. They know whats coming.... I think Im going to start off with....Heather and I have been dating for a long time. I plan on asking her to marry me this weekend and would like your blessing before I ask her..... from there I will have to wing it. Her father is really soft spoken but very smart. Her mother Is a Highschool principal and therefore used to being in charge....we have grown closer over the years but since I was the class clown ( who still out tested the nerds ) there is a little bit of friction there naturally. Heather was valadictorian, graduated with honors from college with a biochemestry degree, works currently for the CDC and is going to med school in a year or two. So here comes some redneck smartass who didnt even finish college, in a jacked up redneck truck to take their little girl away. I feel better about it now that I own my own buisness but still.

all advise will be greatly appreciated.
    gabe

8. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Just don't get to drunk

9. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

How comfortable is your relationship with her parents? In other words how do they feel about you and their daughter? Some parents are more accepting than others, some have high expectations and standards of the man, and how he plans on taking care of their daughter. Set a good example around their place too. Offer to cook,clean, help Dad do house work he has been putting off (probably needs another mans help). These sort of things make family realize you are their for the long haul and you actually care. I'm glad I didn't have to worry about this one, her parents adore me :D.

Good luck, you'll be fine.

Jesse

10. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

can't just say, "hey did you see the packers sunday? Oh BTW can I marry your daughter??")

Why not? If they know why you are their cut the BS and make the point just do it after you eat incase they say no less time for an awkward situation :D

11. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Good luck to ya.

12. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

That is a good way to do it. Congrats and good luck.

13. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Awesome news, brother!!! :thumb: It's good to see that romance is not dead.

I'm sure that her parents have been expecting this to eventually happen. If you've treated their daughter well(I'm sure you have), they shouldn't have a problem giving you their blessing.

If I could offer one piece of advice- quit feeling like you have to live up to certain standard for her folks. Having a college degree doesn't mean you'll make a better husband. Be proud of who you are and what you've accomplished!!!! What it all boils down to is that the two of you are in love and want to spend the rest of your lives together. If her parents truly love her, all they're gonna want is to see their baby girl happy, and it sounds like you're up to the task!!!

Keep us posted, brother.....

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

no way in hell I was gonna ask my wife's dad for blessings/permissons etc. I just asked the wife, she said yes and that was it. :) You have more guts than me if you're gonna go the old school chivalry route. lol!

j

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Sounds like you'll do fine. If I were her parent's, I'd probably be impressed by the fact that you're going to them before popping the question.

As for asking her, I asked my wife with a billboard and a song on the radio... She was impressed with it, but it was still kinda private since we were in the car.
    I always thought a fortune cookie would be a funny way to do it. I don't know, though, might kinda demean the whole principle...

16. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Good Luck Gabe,

On October 31st it was 9 years since I asked my wife to marry me. It was by far the smartest thing I have ever done. We were married on December 31st, 1996 at 8:15pm. I am still not sure how I talked her in to marrying me.

17. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

A billboard and a song????You've just made my mangina all creamy...:p:

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Dude, you're so gay! :tongue1:

I actually coordinated it with the jock so the song would come on right when I picked her up from work, and I planned a route that would have me stopped across from the billboard (which was actually a borrowed work van with a giant banner on it) exactly at the moment the song said something about an engagement ring, at which point I handed the box with the ring to her. It was a little bit of a beotch to plan out and time right, and then the jock played the song late, so I had to stall before leaving the parking lot of her job... :doah:

How's your mangina now, tough guy :thinking: :thinking: :rotfl:

19. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Congratulations! Best advice I could give is pretty much what you are planning on. Just ask. No need to be nervous. Her mom will cry, not because you were the class clown. :waytogo:

20. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I concur with everybody else, ask for the blessing. By the way, have you discussed this before and is she expecting it? I'll never forget that video of the guy who pops the question on the basketball court in the big game and she just runs away.