Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Asphalt driveway opinions...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Apr 9, 2005.

?

How should I proceed with my driveway?

1. Go with the cheaper asphalt company

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Go with the more expensive asphalt company

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Forget asphalt and belgium blocks and look into concrete

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  4. I'm naked

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, it's that time of year again... Tax refund is back, so we have a lump to blow.

We're getting a half circle on the front lawn, with a short spur coming up kind of along the house, but not really.

We got a quote yesterday from a guy that delivers our oil in the winter (he does the oil in the winter, paving in the summer I guess). He wants $1700 for the paving, $1300 for a belgium block border on the whole thing. $1700 sounds awesome to me, but $1300 for the masonry sounds horrible... I just can't believe that's what it costs...
    He said he'd also move/grade/compress the 20 yards of soil I still have in a pile, since he'll have the equipment here anyway.
    So that guys wants $3000 for the job.

Today, 5 minutes ago, I got a quote from a driveway guy that was here last year... He never gave us a quote last year, just finally figured one out and gave it to us now after I called them as if I was a new customer this morning... He wants $3870 for the job, or $3500 if I have him start monday.

Last year, my wife was with me when he came by, and this guy spent 30 minutes trashing all the other paving companies and talking about how customers called him to re-do other company's work. He talked our ear off for an hour, after saying he would come back the next day to do the quote so we could just go in and enjoy our dinner...:surepal:
    Today, he seemed to get right to business. I think the orange spray paint markings from yesterday's quote lit a fire under his butt, not to mention last year, I wasn't really that interested in the trashing. I'm more nuts and bolts about it, and my wife likes some color, so I think her not being with me today kind of gave him the idea "Shut up and move" also. He also didn't use a lot of the sales tactics I remember him using last year... I like my saturday morning "No BS" face :thumb:...
    I also don't really like this guy much, too much of a salesman, time waster, etc. It turns me off to a company when their selling points are why the competition is bad to use.

Seeing as how they're both over $3000, and I'm in agony spending that much money on a single project here that I think we can survive without a little longer, I'm thinking maybe I'll get some concrete quotes. Is the "shortage" over yet??

So anyway, Company A we only know the guy in a passing way, and his price is lower.
    Company B is well known and has a reputation, but their price is higher.

So should I use Company A or company B? Since they're prices are so close, I'm leaning toward company A right now.

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

dident read the whole post but the guy saying you can save 370 buck to have him start right away sounds like an ass want you to no think about it and just fork over the money thinking you are saveing money.

stick with the guy who works an honest liveing year round and i giveing you honest prices

:waytogo:

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

ask how much base and top is going on. then ask to see a list of driveways thay have done in the past , over 3-4 years ago to see how thay hold up to the use and wether. and for the work and size of paving that is about the range for this work . we in upstate ny get about the same prices. and concrete will be much more but look nicer. and the wether will get to it much faster then the softer blacktop.

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I second that. I'd have both guys give you references and places you can go see their work product. Make sure you get some places that are a couple of years old too., not just fresh jobs. Then I'd get a couple more quotes to boot. Usually when you tell a company that you want to see other places they've done, and tell them you are going to get 5-6 quotes before you make up your mind, that helps separate the flaky ones since they won't like the competition. A good company has no problem giving references and is confident their work will stand up to scrutiny. A guy who just has to make the sale today always makes me suspicious.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

consider yourself lucky Ratch, it would cost about 10,000 to our driveway... :crazy:

6. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

Concrete will out last asphalt by a long time. Asphalt requires more maintence. As my dad says " You rent asphalt and buy concrete"

7. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's my opinion also. Asphalt looks better but Motorcycle kickstands sink into it in hot weather, it needs resealing every _____ years, petroleum products (gas, oil, trans fluid etc.) dissolves it. But it looks better!

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

do you ever do any kind of work in your driveway that requires jacking up and putting a vehicle on jackstands? if one of your vehicles has a slight oil leak, do you put it off until it gets considerably worse?

if you answered yes to either of those questions, get a concrete driveway.

the pressure on the asphalt from the jack or jackstands will cause an indent on a warm day, and the oil will soften it up so that just about anything will leave an indent.

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Good info, thanks guys.

Yes, those are reasons I dislike asphalt and would LOVE to go concrete, but it really boils down to money right now. If concrete is the same price, I will definately go concrete, but if it's a lot more, I'm going with the cheaper asphalt guy at this point.

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

it WILL be more.
    you need more base, have to form it, finish it, cut it, pull the forms, and regrade. lot more work.
    but hell if your soveling out the cash get a heated driveway!!!!! no more shoveling that is the siznet!!

11. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

It appears the guy from Co. A is straightforward. The other guy is scrambling to keep his guy's busy, I don't like his "discount to start ASAP" line. Not cool.

Concrete is a superior product. But if it does not fit in the budget, it's a hardship. Would you entertain getting bids from a few concrete contractors? Just to know, might help. Then you could decide if it has enough value to save the 3000.00, and continue to save for concrete next year. ( Remember, 1" aggregate mix, no peagravel.) But if you need a new driveway now, you probably just want to get one done.

Or, Rob, you could get 2 more asphalt bids. Why not? Be a customer...everyone else acts like one when they're shopping. I found out during the process of doing projects around our property that the more you discuss a project the better it comes into focus. Perhaps a contractor will have a better or less expensive alternative to the Belgium block pavers.

Good luck buddy.

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I was wondering what you'd say, I was going to PM you if you didn't reply.

We got quoted about $2k last year (or year before, I forget now) when we were looking at just doing an additional slab and replacement of the existing driveway. Then concrete prices went up and the guy said he couldn't realistically honor that quote, if he could even get the material to do the job.

So anyway, the square footage of this design is a little more than that $2k quote. I don't remember what it is, and neither of these asphalt guys gave me that...

If concrete comes to around $4k, I'd do it. Does that sound realistic? Is a half-circle more because it's not strait angles for the forms?

On the asphalt base:
    Both companies will grade the yard and existing drive to slope to the road (right now it slopes in *from* the road, the flooding caused by that is why we need to get this done, our house is sinking).
    Points my wife noticed this morning:
    Company A, the cheaper one, wrote on the quote that they put down a 5 inch gravel base, 2 inch blacktop.
    Company B, the more expensive one, will put down a 4 inch gravel base, and 2 inches of blacktop.
    I think that, combined with price and attitude, sold the job to company A for me, if we go with asphalt.

I also have another guy that just does masonry coming tomorrow night to give me a quote on the belgium blocks. This guy is supposedly extremely cheap, he did my dad's neighbors drive and curb, nice work, and that neighbor is super-cheap, so the price must have been right.

Last night, I was ready to just call the guy form company a and tell him he got the job pending the belgium block decision. Now you guys have me more seriously reconsidering concrete.

BTW, I saw a HUGE concrete pumping truck on 43rd st in manhattan last week on a site next to my building. I was going to take a picture and send it to you, but I figured that would be like someone sending me a picture of their computer :rotfl:...

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, we're going with Asphalt. Concrete was quoting about $7500, and we just don't have the cash and can't really wait til we do.

They got started today... I am DYING being at work... I wanted to be there sooooooooooooooooo bad, but I already had to take a last minute day off this week and couldn't really justify this as a reason to be unavailable for my job anyway.

[​IMG]

14. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I wish I would have seen this before :(
    If you really want it to hold up and last, it should have been 4" thick asphalt.
    2" won't last. Concrete is normally double the cost as you found out.
    It would have been worth the money to be there to watch the work get done because cheap guys can just thin it out in areas to save on material costs and you won't notice it for a year or so (save the qoute!).
    Remember, if it's thick enough, you can have it stamped and colored in the future to look like brick etc.
    I hope it all goes good and I'm sure it will look great. Don't forget to post some pictures. Sorry for being a downer and late to the post.
    BTW, my asphalt driveway cost 10K :blush: