Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

aspiration: carb, which one?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MTPockets, Aug 29, 2000.

1. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

i had thought about converting to fuel injection, but i am trying to save as much dough as possible.
    i have a rochester q-jet on there now, but runs terribly rich. no electric choke either, so cold starts are a pain. i also hear that they are a bear to rebuild and tune, corectly.
    i have heard, however, that the q-jet is the "off-road friendly" carb with less hick ups on off camber tilts and bumps.

so i guess i would like to hear from k5er's running q-jets or other carbs like the edelbrock 600 cfm electric choke(my other choice).
    thanx for the info,
    MTPockets.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I replaced my Q-jet with the Edelbrock electric choke 600CFM carb (Carter). First of all I noticed it has a crisper response than the Q-jet. Could just be because my Q-jet and every other Q-jet I've ever had was junk. Off road the edelbrock seems pretty good so far, and performed perfectly on a recent trip that involved lots of steep and off-camber stuff. They sell an off-road kit for it if you do have troubles though and basically its just a spring loaded needle and seat to help with needle bouncing out of the seat in the rough stuff.
    Over all I have been pleasantly surprised by how well this carb works, I even get better fuel mileage than with the Q-jet.[​IMG](Go figure, The edelbrock is square bore with larger primaries)
    Hope that helps.

[​IMG]

3. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Q-jet, for sure. No question in my mind! Either find a used q-jet with electric choke and rebuild it or buy a fine q-jet unit from Jet or Edelbrock. I do not recommend a holley or a carter or an edelbrock (carter in disguise).

Please, no flames.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I like the Qjet also and they are pretty easy to work with, not to mention cheap and easy to rebuild!

I have always gone with the Auto ZOne reman Qjets. They have a One Year warranty and you can take them back for a replacement within a year if something goes wrong!

Got to love Warranties!!! :)

Also, form the Zone they aren't very expensive!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey Realsquash, why would I flame you for having a different opinion? The Edelbrock (Carter in disguise) works real well for me. I'm glad you all have had such great success with the Q-jets, but up here we call them 'Quadrajunk'[​IMG]
    I guess its whatever you've had good luck with.
    By the way I also tried a Holley, serious mistake[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

I replaced both of the Q-jets on my 79 pickup and my 84 Jimmy with the (1406) Edelbrock 600. I'm not good at doing carbs so when I bought my first one the parts guy said he would rejet it for free, all I had to do is buy the new rods and jets. Took him five minute. I was in love after that. I got tired rocking my Holley to get the correct fuel level. Seven screws and three cotter pins and everything you need comes right out. Thats why I like the Edelbrock. Pick a Edelbrock, Q-jet, Rochester, whatever but DON'T get a Holley. Just my personal thoughts.

Getsome

7. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Would go with an edelbrock q-jet.

8. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

We agree on the Holley thing, for sure. Some people get all bent outta shape because I figured out how to make my q-jet work great, and they figured out how to make their xyz carb work. Now I make my EFI work better than any carb!

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash