Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Assembling a 203 use gaskets?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Redfrog, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

I am putting a 203 back together and I am wondering if It is ok to use blue RTV sealer on the adapter,
    input shaft housing,and the front output housing or if I should just get the gaskets does it matter???

TIA

*wink*

my 79 rust bucket will run over your 2001 chevy 4X4 tahoe plastic wagon

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I used high temp black rtv on mine but it leaked. The gasket in there now doesn't leak at all so I'd go with the gasket.

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://24.55.50.76:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

3. WillThisNameWork

WillThisNameWork Registered Member

I have not worked on a 203 (ever) but I can tell you that a gasket is the only way to go. RTV can work if you do not put to much (most people do) or of course, put to little, but it will never last as long as a prefab gasket.

Also, if you go with the gasket be sure to use a little RTF with it. This will give you a little room to breath if you fail to tighten the bolts within an acceptable torque tollerance (this also means to tight). Again, do not use to much as this will cause leaks, just BARELY enough to coat the surface of the gasket.

Good Luck....

WillThisNameWork