Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Assembling my BBC or paying someone to do it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, Nov 15, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Well, I am rebuilding the 454 BBC I picked up...I already have had the heads rebuilt (shaved .010", valve job, new guides, new seals, etc.). I am taking the block and crank to the my machinist next week to have them cleaned and inspected and machined as neccessary...Now do you think I should try to assemble this rat on my own or should I pay my machinist/engine builder to do it? I have a decent selection of tools, but I am a bit nervous about screwing up the oil clearance number a rod when assembling or somwthing like that...So whay would you do...Oh, the engien is getting all new Clevite77 bearings (main, rod, cam) as well as new pistons, rings, timing chain, oil pump, oil pan, gaskets, etc) Thanks,

Chris

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I was gonna do it myself but for a little more I get him to do it all and I get a warranty /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Peace of mind.. if it goes BOOM again.. he'll fix it... for free! Period!

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If they assemble it will they warrentee it ??? How much do they charge to assemble it ??? What about ballancing ????

4. fortcollinsram

I think Dave said he'd give me like a 2 year warrenty. I *think* he said they charge like $200 for the short-block and $350 for a complete long-block..I am not sure about balancing...I will ask...the thing is, I have already sunk a good bit more $$$ into this engine than I was planngin on...I was just gonna do the head job, new cam/lifters, and throw it in...But after finding a toasted cam bearing, I decided to delve into it deeper...It wasn't too bad but you could tell that the engine had 90,0o00 miles on it. i think the deciding factor will be wht condition of the block..If the block is in good shape according to Dave, I will probably have him just hone it and assemble it..If it needs bored over .030, needs decked, or anyhting else, that maching cost may put me over my mark... So do you think it is still worth it?

Chris

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Well, sence you've already got so much wraped up in it, yes I think it's worth it. IT'S A BIG BLOCK, SO HELL YEAH, IT'S WORTH IT !!!!!!! I'd defently have them assemble it if the will warrentee it !!!!!! Now you need to decide if you want stock or beefed up. You've come this far ($$$$) might as well make it all worth it. Pump up the compression, X-tream 4X4 cam, improved oiling system (High Volume oil pump, larger pan.) ...ect. Well, that's my thoughts anyways.

6. fortcollinsram

I already have all the new parts except for the pistons, b/c I am waiting to see if the block is going to need bored...I can't get too crazy b/c it is a TBI engine and I plan on keeping it that way...I have a GMPP cam (the same as a Crane 2020, new Melling HV oil pump, New Perma-Cool headered oil cooler, new edelbrock Performer true-roller timing chain, the heads were shaved a bit to up compression...etc, etc..I am building this motor for torque rather than HP...I will see what the verdict is on the block...If it is good, I will have Dave slam it together...If it needs bored, I guess I will save up a little longer to have Dave do it...I might buy a good book and see what I think about doing it myself..

Chris

7. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

yes teh book isnt bad, but the peace of mind nowing if it blows up that the warranty will cover it!

I know after my 400 blowing up I will be squirmish about starting my new motor... let alone taking it over idle...

8. gtkustoms

gtkustoms 1/2 ton status

but then there is that factor of saying
    " I BUILT IT MYSELF" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

that always makes me feel better and have a big old /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. gtkustoms

gtkustoms 1/2 ton status

it also depends on if they assemble BBC on a regular basis and have good luck doing them.

I know plenty of builders who can build the sh*t out of a SBC and have them last...but have them put togather a BBC and they dont last at all..

10. fortcollinsram

Yeah Travis,

It is Slatten Automotive on North College (up near Jax)... According to everybody I have talked to, Dave is the BBC king in No. Co. and all their machine work (except crank work) is in house...They frequently build high zoot BBC's with great success...So...I may just try it myself..any pointers if I DO go through with it?

Chris

11. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Well i have done everything on my k5....

the motor I will leave to a pro, I will install adn bolt on the accessories..

But I knwo what you mean by "I built it"

12. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Build it yourself! You'll get more satisfaction out of it if your bragging to your buddies about it !!!!If you have ever built a small block, It is about the same dam thing!!! Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

If you want to bring it out to my place and we can throw it together. I have all of the tools, you supply the beer. I am about 100 miles East of you.

John

14. gtkustoms

gtkustoms 1/2 ton status

Chris
    read lots of books that pertain to the BBC build up.

i could come by and help if you want just to supervise or let you borrow some of my books.

i will call you when we get back into town on monday.

Travis

15. fortcollinsram

That might be an option John...I will PM you if I decide to do it myself...Thanks buddy...
    Chris