Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

At home tranny flush - how'd you do it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shorts, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

At home tranny flush - how\'d you do it?

anyone do tranny fluid flush at home? if so, just wondering how you hooked your lines up...where you pourd in the new fluid..etc etc. i need a visual drawing,....with colors and arrows and stuff ...i'm a visual learner

anyway, its a 4L60E...with the fluid flowing from the bottom of radiator to the top. i figure i'd drop the pan first to get a new filter in there, then, replace the pan, top off the fluid, then begin the flush.

2. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: At home tranny flush - how\'d you do it?

THEY SELL A PRESSURE CAN AT THE AUTO PARTS STORE THEN just do final clean out with air

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

On my 200R4 I just disconnected the lower radiator line (let the cooler drain into a pan) then attached a long rubber hose into a bucket. Started it up and let it pump out 2-3 quarts, shut it off, add 3 quarts, start it up, etc..etc..until I flushed about 10 quarts. Connected it back up, started it, ran it thru the gears (while parked) then added the final 1-2 quarts.

Kinda a PITA. I have seen multi-quart despensers with a spout that you can add fluid at about the same rate as its being pumped out. Someone once mentioned you could just fill a bucket with the fresh fluid, attach a hose from that to the intake side and it would siphone in the new. Dont know how that would work would think the dipstick hole needs to be completly sealed. Maybe I'll try that next time /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Change the filter before you start and make sure the hose to the capture bucket is well secured inside. Mine flew out the first time and looked like a firehose whipping around the garage /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

When I installed the 454, and rebuilt the Tran's, [TH350], I bored a hole in the torque converter, and tapped with an 1/8" pipe tap. Drop the pan, change the filter, and pull the plug out of the converter, drain, then refill, with the cooler I run it hold's right at 12 qts. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

sounds like a plan. i have plenty of hoses and clamps around here /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif now i just gotta pick up supplies from the store and i can get to it - thankx /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

btw, is getting the pan and new gasket to seal tricky? i wouldn't think its any more difficult than a rear diff cover.

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would advise against drilling and tapping a hole in the TC. A.) you could drill too far, and B.) they are supposed to be spun balanced and you "could" upset the balance.

As for running two hoses into buckets (one full of fresh ATF and the other for catching the old fluid), that won't work, the return line is not a siphon line (ask me how I know /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif).
    What I do (whethe it's the best method or not, I'm not sure) is undo the line from the last item in the circuit (top or radiator, return line of auxilary cooler, return line of external filter, etc.). Install a nipple with a long hose into a bucket. Start the rig up and keep pouring ATF into the dipstick tube at about the rate it is coming out. I stop every once in a while to run through the gears, so I make sure I add extra before I do that. You could also employ the help of a friend to do that while you poor (much easier). I usually do 12 quarts (a case). After 10, I stop and check the fluid level, and try to get it so that when I put in the last quart and stop the motor, it should be very close to the full line (takes some practice).

What's even easier is to bring it to a tranny shop that has machines that will do this automatically. Fills the tranny up with fresh fluid and drains the old. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 88Silverado

The tranny pans seal pretty well, just dont over tighten them. I think torque is something like 10 lb/ft. If you overtighten them they can squeeze the gasket out and it will leak.

8. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

i was thinking of the dual bucket setup last night, but i didn't know if the fluid was pushed through the radiator, or if the return line sucked it through. i figure rather than find out, i'd do it the way you did - pull the top line, run a hose from rad to bucket for drain. that way i can get new fluid into the radiator. i like the idea of keeping a consistent fluid pour until the fluid comes out new. but, it'll be easier to stop, run through the gears and check the fluid level. no need to go burning the tranny just cause i wanted to get done quicker /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. 88Silverado

If your going to add several quarts at once via a filled bucket with a hose connected to the dipstick Make sure you have a good seal where the dipstick tube enters the trans or it will pour out when the fluid gets above that connection.

Its not hard, just tranny fluid can make a mess.
    Did my 700R in my Blazer last month by adding an additional quart before I started then pumped 3 quarts out at a time and added as I went. , need to do the 200R in my 71 Camino soon. Really hard to believe how few people fully service their trans. At $12/case trans fluid is cheap insurance!

10. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

what kinda fluid do you go with? i wanted mobil 1, but its pricey. i think the tranny would be happy with any new fluid i put in it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif i'll keep an eye on the dipstick/tranny seal when i pour.

i'm planning on installing a tranny cooler really soon as well, so i'm trying to get the tranny taken care of right now. i've got a cross-country move with towing involved coming in a year, so, i'm trying to get my truck "repaired, prepared and refreshed".

11. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Still moving to the PNW? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

most definitely - i'll be getting there mid/late june '04 /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

13. 88Silverado

Any tranny fluid will work fine.
    They all meet manufacturers requirements.
    Basic rule is buy whats on sale and change it once a year.
    I just got a case of Chevron ATF at Costco for $11.68