Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

At least its a GM v-8

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChevyDan, Feb 1, 2006.

1. ChevyDan

ChevyDan Registered Member

Okay, unrelated and I am retarded. I have a 1988 Olds Gutlass Supreme, 307 4bbl. It stalled out last night, no fuel. I shot starting fluid into the carb, Yatzee it fired. I apparently need a fuel filter and or pump. I understand its a mechanical pump, on the pass, side of the block. As my car is about an hour away from me and I need to beg borrow and deal for a ride, what tools are needed to get this job taken care of ?

I know, newbie flame on... :rolleyes:

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Only tools needed I can think of are something to scrape the old gasket off, pliers to disconnect the rubber line clamps, tubing wrenches for the fuel line to carb, and whatever size sockets to pull the pump.

Olds uses a cam eccentric to drive the pump, so no problems with a fuel pump pushrod.

3. ChevyDan

Thanks Dyeager for the reply. I heard the pushrod was a PITA, I am glad to hear I dont have to F with that.. Thanks for the quick reply, I lurk here quite a bit and was glad someone with a brain responded so quickly .

4. dyeager535

Oh, and I'm not certain on the sockets...bolts could be metric or standard. I'd suspect Metric since it's a "newer" engine, but you can never go wrong on those cars by bringing both sets. :)

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I believe they are 9/16ths on most GM's

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

those still had carbs in 88??? THe cierra's and century's all had fuel injection already (fwd though, different engine), and the trucks all got TBI too, in 87.

7. ChevyDan

Yea, its carburated.. POS quadra junker.. I actually got there this morning, and it fired right up, idled like a POS.. I changed the fuel filter, and it seems to run a little better, but it bogs when you try to give it anythign more than 1/2 throttle from a dead stop.

8. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I know a guy that has a '90 Cadillac Brougham that has a 5.0L with a Q-jet :eek1:.

9. dyeager535

Olds was the last carbed V8 GM made...carbed all the way until the end in 1990. :)