Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

At least one reason Metallica sucks.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, May 19, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Every song listed on Walmart's music section from them says "not available for download, see album".

Are they still in a wad about Napster?? They still not get that people will still buy their records, and their audience will get bigger and MORE people will buy single songs if available?

Forget it now, I'll pick them up some other way, or just not get them. The interest I had that was enough to make me buy a song or two was just sqaushed.
    I wanted 2 songs off Master, a record I already had and chucked years ago.

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Ratch don't make Me have Lars beat Your ass for taking His money!
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: KaZaA has most of there stuff. Free download. Yeah yeah, you MIGHT get in trouble. Key word is MIGHT.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:haha: @ Corey

Yeah, I know, but I'm not crazy about using Kazaa... I appreciate that artists and companies have lowered their prices to re-attract consumers, so I'm trying to hold up my end of the deal by actually buying their music... This just ticks me off, though...

Anyone have master of puppets they can rip and "loan" me 2 songs from :D ?

5. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Before ya go gettin all over "M" for your woes, stop and listen to reason for one moment.
    1. If ya bought their latest album (St. Anger) then ya got access to all their music to download all the time!
    2. the reason ya couldn't get it from Wally World is they don't sell Metallica. It's on their morally wrong list!
    3. YOU GIVE UP WAY TOO EASILY!

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

A lot of bands are like that, no CD club, no Musicmatch, no download

Originally, Metallica was doing the right thing. It wasn't popular, but it was right

Anyway, I'll lend you some Met

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Totally Narrow-minded concept, only locking in existing fans and keeping fringe fans further out in today's instant gratification world... I have no interest in that record, I just wanted 2 songs. If I got them easily, it's highly likely I would come back for more later. But part of the issue was that I didn't want to spend $10 on Metallica music tonight for tomorrow's commute...

If you've seen some of the crap they sell in Walmart...I'd have to think that morally wrong list is not in effect...
    That's also incorrect, they have the full albums for sale. It's usually at the artist/labels request that the songs are only made available that way.

:rotfl::rotfl:
    Who said I gave up altogether? I'm just not going to buy them right now... Oh wait, I can't buy them right now... :whistle:

Thanks Matty :thumb:

Thanks RJ, I just want Master of Puppets and Orion...

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Ratch, PM me which ones you're looking for, i might have them handy. since you're just sampling to see if you wanna buy the album or not, but you gotta promise to delete them right after you listen to them, ok? :rolleyes: :whistle:

9. Resurrection_Joe

Where do I send them?

10. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

1) I bought St Anger, decided they suck so bad I no longer needed to download their crap. Buncha soft, pretentious, Bob Rock-lovin fags.

2) Wally World don't sell 'em because they SUCK.

3) Moistallica gave up when they hired Bob Rock.

PS. Lars Ulrich couldn't kick somebody's ass! The little fruit don't weigh but 110 pounds, and SUCKS!

11. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

:shame: :shame: those can't be the only 2 you want....... Disposable Heroes and Call of Kutulu are good. Don't forget Sanitarium and Battery either.

also Leper Messiah and Damage Inc. .............

ah hell, if I keep naming them off, you might as well get the whole album :rotfl: :rotfl:

12. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

If ya don't like em, don't buy em! I've moved on to bigger and badder things also, Metallica will always rock in my book, but for those of you who really want to TEAR IT UP, try some DEFLESHED on for size! from Sweden and they destroy!!! :saweet: :saweet: :saweet:

13. Resurrection_Joe

I don't understand why people spend thier time whining about things they don't like. It annoys people who like whatever you're complaining about and makes you sound like a total ass. What are you accomplishing? Are you changing the world for the better by complaining about it?

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Ask Lars, LOL.

15. Resurrection_Joe

He didn't argue because of pure uneducated opinion

He argued that people were stealing his work

They were

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I guess it's a point of view. Somebody bought the CD befor they put it on the internet. So if the radio plays thier songs for the world too hear, is that radio station ripping them off too ??

17. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Radio helps CD sales, people stealing it off the internet hurts them. I buy music from Napster as a lot of the walmart stuff is edited. They don't have metallica either.

18. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

I had a buddy that bought a Metallica CD at WalMart for one song "So What" If you don't know the song, every other word in it is profanity. Well the WalMart version of that song had beeped out all the profanity. Walmart censors the stuff they sell. I'm supprised artists allow WalMart to do that to their work. But then again maybe it's the record companies that are allowing it to happen.

19. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

Metallica rules enuff said :saweet: :saweet: :saweet: :saweet: Dyers Eve my personal fav

20. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm not complaining because I hate Metallica, I'm just irritated that they're such control freaks over something as dumb as this.
    I'm driving to Florida tonight, and I wanted to build a couple cd's for the ride last night around 10pm and pick up some commuting music at the same time. I don't have time today to go screwing around in music stores, and I'm on limited funds for little stuff like this, so I don't want a whole album.

A band isn't just a band anymore when they start forking around with the general system. These guys are breaking chops, I just wanted to buy a friggin song. I was going to pay with money, but it looks like I have to pay with hassles instead/also.

I'm a casual browser, I'm into metal when the mood strikes, not full-time. I'm into Metallica when the mood strikes within the metal mood. This stupid "album or nothing" policy just cost them the $3 I was going to pay for the song. I wasn't going to buy the album anyway, not in this day and age, now I'm not going to buy the songs. Who knows how many other of 200 million otehr Americans went the same way because they couldn't get what they were immediately after.

They're either bad business people (selling many lower-priced products is more beneficial than few high-priced products), nuerotically control obsessed, or just plain a-holes.

With the Napster deal, I could understand their position to a degree, but their position and actions didn't solve the problem. Kazaa and other undergrounds are even more successful and less trackable than Napster was, arguably because of Metallica's crushing blow to Napster. Arguably as well, Metallica's actions may have played a large part in the very fact that you can buy and download songs legitimately now.

Either way, can anyone give me a good reason most other artists have made most of their songs available for download outside the album, while Metallica has made NONE available outside the/an album purchase?

If they're a fan-only band, that's fine, I am not enough of a fan to pay for that club. I can survive ok if I don't ever hear another Metallica record again. I know that's stupid and not really true (or is it?), but this is a different era than when CD's came out, maybe they just don't recognize how to or the value of keeping up with it.

BTW, I actually got back into those songs because of radio, I heard MOP on this piece of crap rock station in the city (and they're a whole 'nother complaint thread :rotfl: ). That station is the first to make me contemplate having DJ's only be on subscription radio :rotfl:.

Also, WALMART WAS SELLING METALLICA! Who keeps saying they don't sell Metallica?? Go to Walmart.com and look for a Metallica CD. You can buy it right there (but only the album, no songs, lol).

Also, if the record was censored, it was done by the band/producer/label, not Walmart. I don't believe they're legally allowed to modify artistic content they retail, the artist has to do it first. Walmart may tell them they won't sell their record unless it's censored, but that's like any other business buying and reselling a product under conditions.

The bottom line is:
    I downloaded 20 songs last night. None of them were Metallica. Some of them could've been, but oh well.