Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AT&T Cable internet rant!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Chaz88K5, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

OK..so i decide i want to get a new computer so i head down to gateway and order up a new lap top...and to my suprise i get a free month of AT&T cable internet for free for a month!..whoo hoo for me...so anyway a week later my computer shows up and a few days later the modem shows up...so AT&T comes out to install it on the 28th of last month...for some reason they couldent get it to work..."it must be a problem with your modem" they said...ok so no big deal...i take it back to gateway and they send me out another modem...hook it all up and still nothin...so i call at&t and tell them i just installed the 2nd modem and its doin the exact same thing that the frist did...so they go and tell me it will be $150 to send someone out...i am like uh no...it hasent worked from day one so why should i have to pay for fixing somthing that was never installed in the first place...so i win that battle and they come out the following saturday..well the tech gets here and he decides its not the modems problem...and thinks its the line that runs under the house out to the pole..so no biggie they will do it for free...so he gets that all done and its still not workin...so the tech procedes to tell me that they are going to have to send someone else out because he thinks there is a problem out on the pole...and i am fine with that...so about an hour after the tech leaves the other guy shows up and i see him workin on the pole and come back down and they left...dident say a word to me about if it would work or not...so i wait a few days thinkin maybe they wernt able to fix it that day (since it was a saturday) so i would give them a few days..so i give them a call on wednesday of last week and tell them its still not workin..so i set up a time on saturday again (a 4 hour window mind you) i had to be home between 1 and 5 pm...well i had to go to sacramento in the morning so i get done with that and had alot more things i need to do but i knew at&t was comin..so i get back home at about 11:30..1:00 rolls aorund...no at&t ....2:00 rolls around and no At&t....3:00 rolls around...no AT&T....4:00 rolls around and still no At&t....5:30 rolls aorund and guess what...they DIDENT SHOW UP....what a bunch of bastards..so i call them up and make sure that maybe i missunderstood the time they told me...they conferm that i had it right...so i am like where is the Tech...and their respose is "well looks like the tech just dident have time to come by today...can we set it up for monday"..WTF is that crap....i waited around all freekin day for them to tell me that they dident have time to come fix my [censored] that I HAD A APPT FOR....WTF!!!! so i tell them to F#$K off and cancel my service...and then i proceded to call the phone compnay and canceled my AT&T long distance service...i dont want anything to do with AT&T....so i give pacific bell a call and on the 2nd of april they will be installing DSL..whoo hoo for me...

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

ya at&t sucks /forums/images/icons/frown.gif actually i like the cable modem and speed just not there customer service it is not uncomon to sit on hold for over 1hour to talk to the teck support /forums/images/icons/frown.gif i wish i could dump them but if i did id be stuck with 56k /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif but i did dump them off the phone /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the AT&T people are in no hurry what so ever. It took like 3 weeks just to get a guy out to run a cable line to the computer room and drop off the modem and setup disk.
    The cable speed in my neighborhood has been consistently fast though. But based on what I've heard so far, I'm dreading the day I actually need to deal with their tech support.

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I have had Pacbell DSL for about a year and a half.. I could count on my two hands how many times it as been down.. I have had no problems at all with them......Dan

5. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

this is why i dont let anyone touch my puter or anything...
    when i got cable modem again i had set up my end and told them that all they needed to do was bring me the parts and run a line from the cable outlet over to my computer and that was it.. that i would take care of the rest of it myself... Guess what.. it all worked right the first time and the cable guy loved me because he didnt have to do anything at all..

6. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

I once sat on hold for AT&T broadband for 5 HOURS! My service was out, the first guy I talked to told me "I have to transfer you to someone more knowledgable", then puts me on hold. This was at 10:00 PM on a weeknight. At 3 AM someone finally comes on the line, I tell him my internet is not working, he puts me on hold for 30 seconds then comes back and tells me that their status board says that service is out to my area! 5 hours to find out what is on their website anyway, but I couldn't check it because I had no service!

I hate them so very, very much. At my last job, AT&T was a customer of ours and most of their technicians were pretty much worthless. Lazy and incompetent.

Besides, AT&T gives contributions to anti-gun organizations. Millions of dollars.

7. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I had AT&T Broadband for over a year and never did have what I thought was good service. Then they dropped service last November without warning due to some financial problems with their brouser contractor Excite. Anyway, I cancelled service and went immediately with Verizon DSL and have never had it so good. GREAT service in all respects and find their support people very sharp. I could tell you another horror story about AT&T digital phone service I had for 3 weeks but suffice to say I will never use AT&T again for nothing in this lifetime nor the next! Even their long distance rates suck compared to the competition.

8. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i feel alot better that i am not the only one that has had problems...

9. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

I felt sorry for you and was LMAO reading your post. GOOD FOR YOU for cancelling them. Thats a bunch of B.S. Did you tell the long distance company why you were cancelling. Its so irritating that Big companys feel they can do these things to us.

I had a major problem when I bought my HP. I wont even get into becuase it would take too long but it was like your situation but I HAD NO COMPUTER. It took forever and they never fixed it and.... well anyway I eventually ended up writting the CEO of Hewlet Packard a letter and not only did I get a brand new computer (I had bought a refurbished) but a fully upgraded one. The best they had AND a apology letter from the CEO herself.

So good for you for standing your ground and not letting them step all over you. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i dident tell the phone part why i was canceling but they dont care...it wouldent make a diff anyway if i told em or not......its not like they are goin to run over and help me anyway (even tho i wasted one day of my weekend for nothin).