Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AT to MT conversion ages 1-5 snap together or requires some glue?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SycoPawn, Apr 19, 2003.

1. SycoPawn

SycoPawn Newbie

ok I own an 85 blazer fullsize I looked into the manual trannies from other years and my own and they seem all universal now what I am wondering is if I take my 700r4 out for a manual not yet decided between 4spd or 3 it does get much more road use than off road so I was thinking 4 but anyhow the installation of the pedal and clutch system are the mounting spots there already or is there some welding to be done? any suggestions or hints as I never tried this sort of conversion before. oh and is the crank output the same for manuals as it is for a AT flywheel I know the chevy 6s had a diffrent crank for the MT.

2. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

Theres a current thread about this, but yes, its fairly easy and the pedals bolt in, just takes some work. My swap with with a hyd. clutch so it was freakin easy, but you may have to mess with mech. linkages for the clutch.

andy

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

This will be esay for you if you decide to stick with a hydro clutch...85 was the first year for hydro, so there will be dimples in the metal where you need to drill for the shifter and for the mmaster cylinder...You will need a MT flywheel for a 2-piece rear main motor...Other than that, get a flyhweel that is the same diameter as you current flexplate so you can reuse you starter, get a clutch for the corresponding flywheel diameter, the Hydro bellhousing, 465 and t-case combo, cut a hole in the floor for the shifter and a hole in the firewall for the master cylinder, change out the auto brake pedal assembly for a manual brake/clutch pedal assembly and go /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifit is really pretty easy...shoot me any more question you have...I can hook you up with GM part numbers if ypou want to get new parts too...

Chris

4. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

You'll also need to install a pilot bearing in the crankshaft. Auto and Manual crankshafts are all the same, just need a bearing pressed in.