Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

At what point do 14b & D60 gears start getting weak?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Shaggy, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I think that the subject says it all... Just curious if anyone has had any problems with the 5.13s in the D60 and 14b FFs, I've noticed that they start getting pretty small heads on the pinion gears. I know that they are massive axles and haven't heard horror stories yet, but I want to make sure that I'm not going to be sacrificing any strength by going with these gears. I've already broken enough gears with the 1/2 ton axles and I sure don't want to do it with these ones too! Thanks for any opinions!</font color>

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> OK, I'm gonig to assume that due to the distinct lack of response to this post that -

A: It was a stupid question
    B: Nobody likes me and I should go eat worms
    C: Nobody knows the answer (yeah right /forums/images/icons/wink.gif )
    D: D60s and 14bFFs do not have the problems that many other axles have with the gears getting weak at a certain point.
    E: Since I'm not an orangie yet all you mean mean members are ignoring poor me /forums/images/icons/wink.gif (that was a joke, and BTW I paid my membership last week, should be orange here... eventually. But I'm not in a hurry, nor am I bugging anyone about it!/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif )

*EDIT* Whoops! Look at that! I became a full fledged member as I typed this post! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif </font color>

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I've been running 5.13's for about 5 years now with no problems. I have run both an auto and a 4 spd on them, doing both mud racing and bogging. At the moment I can't tell you the tooth count but the I believe the girth of the parts will offset any possible failure due to lower tooth counts.

BTW - you should see a 6.17 or 7.17 pinion! Only 6 teeth (I think) on either - TINY!!

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Evan, I just got home from work, so that's why I'm slow to respond. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I have never heard of anybody ever having problems with 5.13 gears on these axles.

I know and have seen some ring and pinions laying out and could see where the teeth on the pinion were pretty small in diameter when compared to a 3.73 pinion for the same axle.

Just never have heard from someone yet having problems with this ratio on the 1 ton axles. Sounds like they are beefy enough that I would not worry about them. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Looks like it was answer "E"......

Turned orange and got 2 responses!!! j/k /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yeah, how about that? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I see how it is around here /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Thanks for the opinions, guys. Looks like I don't need to worry about it.</font color>

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Ssshhhhh Greg, I almost had all the 'bluebies' convinced we don't discriminate!/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

For those of you without a sense of humor I am kidding... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Rene

8. thatK30guy

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    For those of you without a sense of humor I am kidding...

[/ QUOTE ]
    You sure about that? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

A few years ago I saw a guy that paraded his toothless 6.something ring and pinion at a small mud bog. From what his friends told me he deserved to break a lot more than a few teeth doing some stupid stuff. I guess he was playing with the new two stage 200hp nitrous kit he got from his wife for his BBC and with the help of the detroit locker and 44" rubber he peeled some teeth off. His friend said when they hit the asphalt his tires were spinning ~30mph faster than they were traveling.

I think you'll be safe as long as you don't do something equally stupid. hehe

oh, i almost forgot, the guy was bragging about how his detroit didn't break.

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I chose "B"
    for Shaggy: /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif (see below)

11. thatK30guy

I forgot to mention something else:

If you think 5.13 pinions are pretty small, wait til you take a look at a D60 or D70 pinion that is a 7.17 ratio!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> That's not very nice, not even a smiley to show that you're kidding /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif . I'd feel bad, but instead I think I'll go to the members only section and talk smack about you /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif .

Wes, Yeah, I've seen some of those for sale on Ebay, not sure how you make a pinion with only 1 tooth, but it looks like they managed it on those 7.17s;)</font color>

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Thats OK I'll never know-I'm not allowed in there. Sorry, /forums/images/icons/smile.gif was impliied.
    BTW, I don't know the real answer, so I'm just talking smack anyway.

14. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Expect the world in 2 hours? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Now some people might have had something to do (work, school, kids, work on the rig...). If no-one answers in 8-12 hours I would start getting anxcious. No answer in 24 hours and I would think it was getting ignored...

15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Eh, thanks for the input, 3 days after the thread died /forums/images/icons/wink.gif ... When I brought the post back up it had already sunk to about the 25th post on the first page, so I brought it back up and tried to add something entertaining to entice people to give some input. No answer in 24 hours on this BBS and the thing would be on the 4th page and nobody would ever see it! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif </font color>