Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

At what point do your hobbies begin to own YOU?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by laketex, Apr 2, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I look at all my friends that are into this sport as well as the way I am and it scares me. I'm sick and tired of working on a truck that doesn't run and probably will take a couple thou more to run well later down the line. Nickle and diming me to death.

Then there is the issue of build it so big, then take it off the street. You've got 44's and they break the 60's. So you go chromoly and ctms, wheel harder, and break them, ect ect. When you take the pig off the street, you have to buy a tow rig and a trailer. Then it takes $500 to do a weekend trip with rig, tow rig, registration on 3 vehicles, ect. Most of the guys I know have $20K to $50K tied up in this little hobby and all they have is a truck that wont run right half the time and a LOT of support equipment. It just drives me nuts. I bought a tow rig thinking I could afford the payments, now it's up for sale...think I'll prob sell the damn K5 too and get something cheaper like a toyota, slap some 32" muds and lockers on it, and have fun. This [censored] just ain't fun anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Anyway, what I'm thinking of doing personally is selling the K5, selling the tow rig, and getting a '90's model toyota pickup that I can get good mileage in, slap on a set of 32" muds, 4.88s, and lockrights, and have fun. Great hunting/camping/fishing/trailriding rig....

Sorry just wanted to vent.. I hate all the time I spend and nothing to show for it but a POS K5 that's still sitting in the driveway, sucks gas when it does run which isn't often, doesn't even have a bed...ect ect...later. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I wish I could offer some words of encouragement, but I fell EXACTLY the same way as you do (right down to the Toyota thing, been looking for a 4Runner for 6 mos or so). I stepped back from anything truck-related about 4 years ago (bought a NEW S-10), and my stress level was infinitely lower at that time. BUT, for some reason, I keep getting drawn back into it. I have decided to put a stop to my own personal madness; I DON'T need Hummer wheels, one ton running gear, 42" Swampers, big block, and the list goes on. For what I do now, and for where I am at, 33's, half ton stuff, and a mild lift will be just fine. I built the badass 1 ton with 40's once, found it to be more of a pain in the ass than I ever had imagined...

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

We all feel the same way at times. What bothers me is I see too many guys tearing rigs apart and never getting to use them. They basicly bite off more than they can chew. Personally I go a step at a time. Wheel it, change something if need be. Wheel it some more, maybe change something, but for the most part I do changes in bursts and mimimize down time. That way it never gets overwhelming looking at what used to be my rig scattered all over the shop. But thats just me....

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    slap on a set of 32" muds, 4.88s, and lockrights, and have fun

[/ QUOTE ]
    4:88's and 32's /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif there goes your gas mileage /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

OK, now you've vented lets look at it again.
    If you wanted to 'settle' for a yoda you wouldn't have started the blazer project. If its getting to deep and your just wanting something to drive, back off the mods.
    Throw in a 14b and dana44 and go drive it. Thats what I'm doing. I hope I dont get more than about 5K in my rig and its going to be a driver. Drive to the ORV park and hopefully drive it home. Drive to the mud pit, drive it to the car wash, and then drive it home. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Step back for a couple days, then go look at it again. Sell the tow rig and bring the trial rig down a couple inches /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    DONT SELL /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

6. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

I think it all depends on where you are in your life, where you want to be and what you need to do to get there.
    If you are at the age when you should be thinking about marriage, family and a house, then you need to decide if you want those things bad enough to forgo throwing more $$$ into the truck, for the time being.
    If it's got you in serious debt, then obviously the priority HAS to be to get out of that situation and you have to make yourself "just say no"
    It depends on each person's individual situation and what else they want out of life and where they are financially etc... It's hard to go without and to want, but the focus should be on the main priority in your life. If it's buying a house, then you need to focus on that and get it done. Then onto the next thing. Or perhaps start putting $20 aside a week and just save up for the big $$ items, that way it won't hit you so hard in the wallet and put you into debt. It's hard, no doubt about it. Just need to sit down and make a list of what you want, by priority and stick to it. I know "easier said than done", but sometimes there is not an option. Just my take, for what it's worth.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if your rig is never running its time to shift your focus/outlook away from "what mods can I add to make it better" to the more practical "what can I do to get it on the road". I found myself in a 2 year buildup that was supposed to just be a 2 month one...at some point I got sick of NOT driving my rig and I changed my focus... now my rig runs and I am pretty hesitant to do mods to it that would make it a driveway decoration again. The change of focus thing worked for me... takes discipline i guess... but the Corps gave me plenty of that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

finally, dont give up man!!! it'll all be 'aight!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You definately need to build and wheel within your means. I am just about finished with my project entailing 42s, 5.13 geared locked 1 tons, Hummer wheels and all that stuff, but I waited for a long time to be in a place that I am financially secure enough to complete the project without having to go without food in order to buy parts. I want a tow rig also, but that will wait a few years until I am in a place that I am financially ready to do so. The one thing that I have learned that saves money in the long run is to do it right the first time, so you don't have to do it all over again. The way I figure it my axles are going to last me for many many years, so when I've beat this truck beyond repair I can just move them to the next vehicle that I get and continue to use them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Well I got some good points out of all your posts. I guess I wasn't really that helpful about what situation I'm in so I'll tell you.

I spent about 4 years building up a K5. It had 3/4 ton axles, was bobbed, full caged, custom dash, jeep frontend, 38's ect. I wheeled it TWICE. Just got out of school and moved from Texas where everything's pretty affordable to the subburbs of Chicago where a standard pier an beam house with a one car garage will set you back 150K. It's made me rethink my priorities. Through the help of my good friend and salvation here Dan (Krazie87K5), I acquired an '86 Blazer without a drivetrain for free. We then swapped all the goodies between the two. Traded the 38s for some 35's and some boot. After that, we had an incident off the jackstands and left me with a busted tailgate and a lot of exposed rust issues. So now I have an almost running K5 with a POS motor. I could probably sink another 2K in this thing to get it running good and dependable. Problem is I dont have 2K laying around to spend on a maybe.

Plus I'm sick of wrenching. Tired of watching other folks wheel. I've had 2 toyota pickups in the past and i loved the little buggers. My '91 was a kickass rig...

I'm married, renting in a city that costs way too much, working a job that pays way too little in my eyes. We aren't scraping by, but we aren't saving enough to buy by any means. I just want to refocus my priorities so I can actually have something in life...

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

That's where I need to get to...financially able to do it comfortably. If you dont mind me asking, how old are you? PM is fine...hehe

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Actually 4.88s and 32s or 33s is the proper gearing for the 22re four cylinder. Most people run 5.29s with 35's!

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yup, it'd be different if i lived on the 'con in california, but I dont...I just need practical.

Dan's gonna kill me for this post. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yes, that's where it's at right now...I was big and now I took it down a couple notches. But it needs an engine rebuild and some serious bodywork, and I'm just sick of looking at the damn thing.

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That's where I need to get to...financially able to do it comfortably. If you dont mind me asking, how old are you? PM is fine...hehe

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> I'm 27, alot older than some around here, alot younger than others... The same house you're talking about for $150k in Chicago will cost you $400k here, and that's in the ghetto. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Needless to say, I rent for now. Planning on buying a house in 3 or 4 years.</font>

15. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You definately need to build and wheel within your means

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that!
    On another note...don't start putting "truck stuff" on credit cards it's the devil's work. They can cause big problems, once you start throwing "truck stuff" on the cards...it's t-r-o-u-b-l-e!The devil's work I tell ya! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

16. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

FWIW, I think the problem many here get into is that they don't have a point at which they can say the rig is "done" ie there is no predetermined goal that they are building towards. When this happens, modifications are done on a "gee, that'd be neat" basis, and are done haphazardly, with no sense of completion. I don't have my next truck yet, but I have a notebook with a list of all the mods (in detail) that I will do, and when I get to the end of the list I will be "done". Nothing in the list is out-there stuff like a Hi-mark axle, or a full-race bigblock or anything, just good practical mods, so I know I can complete them all without killing myself (or selling a kidney). I'd suggest stepping away from the truck for a bit, then come back to it with a view towards not "what would I like" but "what do I need". Anything you don't need, take off and sell/trade for things you do need. A 'Yota won't be any more practical than your K5 could be, you just need to get the K5 back to its practical roots. Have an end-point in mind, and stick to it, and I suspect your K5 will be much more enjoyable.

17. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    At what point do your hobbies begin to own YOU?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, shortly after getting into these hobbies.

Instead of putting all my money into a bank account, i have it sitting in my driveway and in my garage. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

no credit cards for me! I'm pretty much debt free, except for a car that is almost paid off and this truck that I stupidly bought...lol /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Bryan,

If the K5 isn't costing you anything to keep right now just take a break from it. Don't wrench on it, look at it, or spend money on it for a few weeks.

Spend a little time and develop a plan to get it road worthy first. A few dents or rust holes will not prevent you from being able to drive it...so ignore them. A tired motor won't hold you back either, just keep it well tuned and change the oil regularly.

The longest my truck has not been my daily driver was for 7 weeks before X-mas doing the diesel swap (and I was unemployed so it didn't matter that much) Having to keep it roadworthy prevents me from doing some things to it...but also gives me more time to plan my next mod.

I don't think the brand of vehicle makes a difference, but rather your expectations and your approach. In some ways I find CK5 to be a curse because there is always some bigger, badder, more hardcore truck being waved in front of your face.

My truck may eventually be the big bad-ass monster, but I'm happy enough doing one mod at a time. I had plans of dropping about 4K into it before Moab in October...but I think I've come to my senses. Just being there will be 80% of the fun, it's not a competition. I'll be able to wheel some of the harder stuff ( I hope...)

Get it driveable (even if it's still cosmetically challenged) and then wheel it when you get the chance to. If you never get out and wheel it it's very hard to justify the amount of work and money you put into it.

Rene...need to go wheeling soon

20. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Pretty much debt free?

That is very, very, very good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    And you are smart to stear clear from racking it up! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif