Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATF as a fuel additive???

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by u2slow, Oct 29, 2002.

1. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I ran into a guy that has a 7.3L NA in his F350. Seems to be fairly knowledgable with diesels. Runs the Stanadyne additive, has a Racor filter, coolant additive, etc, etc...

He says he puts a quart of ATF in with a full tank of fuel every so often to clean out the engine /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I've heard of doing this on a gasser to make it run real hot and burn out any carbon build-up - but on a diesel?!

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I'm not an expert, but I heard the ATF is sometimes added to a gain some lubrication lost on low sulfur diesel. Could pose a problem if the DOT were to sample your now <font color="red"> red </font color> (untaxed) fuel.
    Whether ATF works is speculation, but I think the Standyne fuel additive would be the only thing that you'ld want/need. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave 1/2 ton status

I have heard of ATF being used as a additive as well. I seem to recall that either Ford or Dodge even recommended it. The true downside, as Dan pointed out, is that ATF treated diesel is that it looks alot like non-taxed fuel. The fine for running non-tax fuel varies from state to state but a 100 dollar a gallon fine would not be a shock.

I would stick with Stanadyne or Power Service.

4. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

I do not know what other states do, but how they going to catch you? two ways from what I see it.
    1. They dip the tank when you run it through emissions (common pratice in UT)
    2. The see ya at the fill station putting the red dye in your truck.

There are ways around both depending on if you want to deal with it.
    1. Just make sure you run your tank almost dry and fill with the regular stuff atleast 3 or 4 times before taking it in for the emmissions.

2. Just get a couple hundred gallon storage tank for the back yard and have it delivered. Buddy of mine had soem he used to keep on hand for his generator.

Ran some of it a couple years ago, big difference in performance.

5. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

I use ATF to prime fuel filters. Never a problem.

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies!

I'll give the ATF a try on the next tank. The guy's been doing it the whole time he's had the truck, and its over 300,000km now - so what the heck.

I'm not worried about the <font color="red"> red </font color> fuel around here... Nobody I know has ever been checked for it. They don't check for it when emissions testing where I am. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

7. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Even if they do check, keep your diesel receipts and just tell the trooper that you add ATF. I really don't see them checking out a non-commercial vehicle unless they have some information on you.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I don't have a problem here in Califonia, diesel trucks are never checked, smogged or anything, some even buy them to put in a gas engine (what a waste /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) and they never have to worry about smog.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

I don't think I would if I were you. The guys at DIS (dieselpage.com) say:
    "ATF is formulated for a completely different function. It has chemicals that can actually harm the precise parts in a FIE system. It is not designed to be combusted (burnt), and will leave ash deposits in the engine, which will harm the engine. Use the correct tool for the job. "

And:
    "A known practice especially amongst truckers is the adding of Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) to diesel fuel. According to tests performed by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and the International Standards Organization (ISO) the lubrication benefit from ATF is very slight. The effects and consequential damage that could result from the use of ATF in diesel fuel has not been determined. The addition of ATF in diesel fuel also changes the chemical make-up of the diesel fuel which could result in penalties for use of a NON-EPA approved fuel. ATF is not an additive and it's use could result in costly repairs and/or fines, a more proven and effective conditioner should be used when treating diesel fuel."

I hope this helps.
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well what I sadi about the fact that here I can do it doesn't mean I do /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I use the stanadyne additives, and I am very pleased with them.

11. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Here in sweden we have very low lubrication from the diesel so some of us use additives like stanadynes. But it`s expensive so I use common diesel engine oil 15w-40.They who don`t use additives get starting troubles while the engine or really the diesel pump`s hot.Do you have the same troubles?

12. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I normally use the Stanadyne additive, since all the diesel around here is low-sulphur (0.05% max - or something like that). I hadn't heard anything about using ATF until now - but I've tried it, and it doesn't seem to do anything remarkable, so I'm back to the Stanadyne. My truck has just had a new injection pump, so I want to play it safe /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

13. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Be carefull with ATF. Make sure you get the right kind. I believe one of them, not sure if it is Type-F or Dexron, but one of them has very fine metal shavings in it from what I understand. I am not sure what the micron rating on them is. Who knows, they may be so small they just pass right through. There is probably someone out there that can tell you though.

John

14. knudel

knudel Registered Member

I was just told about this today. Guy who manages a shop I know told me not to take my 89 6.2 to him yet for light smoking. He said when he first started at GM that whenever they had an old 5.7 come in smoking and sounding like garbage his boss would have him add a qt of atf and then drive it 40 miles out and back at about 80, not letting up and making sure to nail it often. He said that and marvel are so detergent that they clean out a lot of the junk in here. Now im not allowed to bring it into him til I've dumped a quart or two of either atf or marvel in there and done just what he said. So I've already got a pint, sticking that and another qt of marvel in there tonight and driving it awhile. Ill let you know. Btw: anyone want an 89 3/4 ton sub with a 6.2, 4" procomp lift and 35's with abt 100mi on them? I think my blazers are more than enough for me. Geeze that sounds snotty...

15. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Marvel yes, ATf not advisable.
    If a mechanic tells you to do it, doesn't necessarily mean it's good.
    I need scientific explanation, and since like was explained, ATF has friction enhancers in it to enhance adhesion on clutches, usually metalic, you don't want that in your fuel.
    Marvel mystery oil has been tried in so many applications and it works as you said as a detergent and I use it a lot too.

16. knudel

knudel Registered Member

It's working great so far. Drove about... 50 miles at varying speeds and already alot less smoke. I'll follow your lead on the ATF and say no.

17. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

What are you using now?

18. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

how much for your 89 burd ???any pic s?? what colors in + out ??
    Thanks
    Randy