Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATF CHANGE 101 ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Oct 2, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Ive picked up a bunch of peices on "HOW TO FLUSH ATF" but I still feel like I dont know how to do it... So If somone would like to explain every step to me that would be really cool but I also have a few question.
    Is it bad to let a truck idle in neutral with No atf?
    If not then can I change the filter pull a cooler line off let it all drain and let it all drain out then just dump 2gallons of ATF in though the filler neck? Also will every bit come out thought the cooler line? This is a 700R4 and I dont wanna do it wrong so if my idea is bad please say so /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

1. Buy 4 or 5 gallons of ATF and a filter.
    2. Drop pan and change filter.
    3. Refill pan with fresh fluid.
    4. Pull lower line on radiator.
    5. Have friend start truck in N or P
    6. Let run for about 15-20 sec.
    7. Refill with 3-4 quarts.
    8. Repeat until fluid comes out clean.
    9. May want to cycle through the gears to flush the valve body too.

This is as good a flush that I know of you can do at home. I did mine this way last week. Good Luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

ok cool thanks but Ive heard it bad doing it like that is that just somthen people say? Also 4 or 5 GALLONS? isent that a bit much? I though the entire 700R4 system only held 2 /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Running it without fluid is bad.
    Edited> Shut the engine off before it starts to spit fluid, you'll be OK.
    When you attach a hose to the line for the catch bucket, make sure you have it secured well inside or it will shoot out all over.

A dry system takes 10-11 quarts. Buy a case and that will do it.

Edited based on below statement about running pump dry

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    If you shut the engine off just as it starts to spit fluid, you'll be OK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know as I buy this. Purely speculation on my part, but the fluid pump basically rotates around the centerline of the tranny. if you aren't picking up fluid anymore (pump not pumping) how much of the internals are already dry?

The fluid pump is steel riding on aluminum (if TH400 or TH350, 700 is probably a vane pump but likely same deal) so if the fluid is not coming out strong, the chances of steel on aluminum contact is very high.

I'd not risk it. Same reason I won't try the "return line in a bucket with fresh fluid" trick.

This is personal opinion, as I am NOT an auto trans expert, but I do know that there are many moving parts in an auto tranny, and ALL of them need lubrication. Failure to lubricate at any time will only increase wear.

6. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

True...for safety sakes you should not let the pump run dry. The fluid pumps out pretty quick. If you can get a good time line, you can shut it off before it spits. You can also add an additional quart before starting the procedure and do it on a 2-3 quart flush. When I do my vehicles, I shut off before it sucks air. Usually takes 4-5 short engine runs at about 5 or so seconds each to flush it thru.