Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATF coming from torque converter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Oct 31, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I'm just fillin up my transmission with fluid, when all of the sudden I hear fluid hitting the ground. Got down and looked, it's coming from the torque converter area. Did I put too much in? Or is my converter on wrong?

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

The converter has to click a certain amount of times when installing it, I think three times, did you just put your tranny in...?

3. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I've got it unbolted from the flywheel now, do I just turn the converter a few times? Should I pound it in with a rubber mallet? I could've sworn I installed this thing perfect.

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I think if you push it in while turning clockwise it should set itselt within a fewe clicks, just keep pushin and turnin til somebody with more commcon sencer then me comes around....LOL and smaller fingers and better typing skills... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Ahhh!!! I'm pushin and turnin and I don't hear no clicks. Thanks for your help though. I'll keep on at it.

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if its unbolted from the flywheel and spining its in all the way it is either a bad front seal or the front pump gaskets are leaking /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif either way it would have to come back out /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Oh no! My worst fear. It's not like a drip drip, this stuff is pouring out. It's stopped for now, but if I add a quart, it pours. Can't believe I didn't notice this when I had the tranny out. Thanks

8. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Oh my goodness. I just went to Autozone. Well autozone.com lol, and is this seal only like $4? This is gonna piss me off. I just now got this tranny installed. 19 years old, first trans swap ever. This was my daily driver, now I'm gonna be a sucker and pay a mechanic to do this. Any guess on how much it'll cost? $600?

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I agree. If the tranny is bolted up and the converter is not set in, it wont turn. Sounds like a seal. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Okay I'm gonna try to replace both seals today. Is this a job I can do in close quarters? Like unbolt the tranny, slide it back a few inches, remove converter and change seal? And do I have to drain the stinkin pan? I just put in new fluid/filter. I hate this thing.

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If it's pouring out while it's not running then it's the front pump O=Ring. About a 6 dollar part and about 20 cuss word repair poping the pump out.

12. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Hate to say it, but it might be best just to drop it down. That way you can get in there and take a good look at it. Maybe its not the seal. You shouldnt have to drain the pan at all. Good luck.

13. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I have seen an incomplete weld where the hub attaches to the convertor(new) that caused a horendous leak. Look close and make sure you know where the leak is coming from.

But I'm agreeing with Grimmy, sounds like the pump seal to me.

Mike

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That happened to me.
    Where the hub is welded to the torque conv end, it was leaking from the weld. I didn't know that at first I tried changing the seals twice then I thought of checking the torque, adn asked so many people, they all said no way, I still checked. I put it flat on the ground, cleaned the outside and filled it to the top of the slots. Waited a few minutes and it was leaking.
    In the truck it would have a steady drip, and take about a qt a day.
    I hope it's not what is wrong with yours.
    But if it is. What I did was weld it with brass, that way I didn't get too hot to warp and brass will infiltrate into craks and it worked not more leaks.

15. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

This "click" thing had me going for a minute. I think what chevyfumes was saying about the clicks was when you push the T/converter toward the transmission, it should go in (click) then you wiggle it and it will go in a little further (click), wiggle it a little more and it will go in for a third time (click), then it will be all the way in.

I hope I didn't speak out of turn, but I think that is what three clicks means.

16. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

Mine did this when i rebuilt it. I had messed up the front seal and did not have the pump lined up properly or some crap. I dropped it, took it to a shop and the guy charged me 75 bucks to fix it. Don't forget to give the shop the converter If you take it in or it can't be diagnosed properly or fixed. don't remember exactly what he said, i was pissed off that the tranny was leaking like a sieve.