Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATF crud

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazinNewbie, Oct 16, 2001.

1. BlazinNewbie

BlazinNewbie Registered Member

I just pulled the pan on a 400 tranny that I "rescued" from a junkyard. I noticed that it had a awful lot of loose crud in the bottom of the pan. No big metal flakes or chunks, just loose crud. Was wondering if this is normal? Never have seen this before.

Me? Pull over? Nah...

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

If its a gray silt its normal.If you can rub it between your fingers and not feel any chunks its ok.

A balanced diet is a beer in both hands.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

4. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Will also say ok just clean pan good and would also change fluid after 1000 miles.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

As long as there are no chunks you should be "fine". I say this because it is more than likely clutch material. All auto tranny's will have sediment on the bottom after usage. As the clutches slip material is carried away by the fluid and is either trapped by the filter or rests as sediment in the bottom of the pan. The more material on the bottom and in the filter, the more clutch material that has been "rubbed off". Eventually (as with all automatics and manual clutches), the amount of wear exceeds the tolerances of the clutch/clutch pack and slippage occurs. In a manual it means replacing the clutch and in an automatic it means replacing the clutches and/or bands (which requires a teardown). By keeping the fluid "fresh", you keep the viscosity and wear preventing characteristic of ATF at their best, so that the clutches and bands will last longer, but eventually you will have to replace them (changing fluid and filter buys you time.....sometimes a lot of it). I would change the fluid, filter, and pan gasket and call it a day. Keep an eye on your fluid level and as long as it doesn't "slip" you should be "fine" for now. It may only last another 100 miles or it could go 50,000 miles. Only time will tell, but by changing the fluid regularly you will definitely prolong whatever mileage it is going to last you.

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot</a>