Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATF fluid gimick???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerBoy, Mar 6, 2000.

1. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Maybe I missed it but I havent heard the final verdict on this AFT fluid gimick. Has anyone else tried it, and was it really worth the time and effort?? Just curious.. Thanks

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

After reading many threads on this topic, I think what we need is a guinea pig. You try it and let the rest of us know how it worked.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

3. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I dont know how much I like that idea?? lets flip for it..

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Tell you what, this upcoming weekend I'll try it. I'll post the results right afterwards.........

Pray for me!!!!!!!

5. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

Actually, I tried that with one of my classic cars. It didn't completely cure the problem, but I'd say there was a 90% improvement. I'd do it again any day!!

BONDO WILL FIX ANYTHING!!!

6. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Somebody please tell me what youre talking about. Is it putting ATF in your motor? To fix what?

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

7. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

Yes. You mix ATF with water and pour it into your carburator. I don't know how it works but I had really good luck with it.

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have never done this but it was talked about last month.
    From what I read you take 4oz of ATF in a jar then unplug your pcv from the hose it's hooked to then with the motor running stick the open end of the hose in the jar so the vac will suck it straight down into the intake. When the ATF hits the pistons and valves it breaks up all the carbon build up and spits it out the tail pipes.
    Some who have doen this warn not to have your wifes car or any thing behind your rig when you do this....Black stuff everywere!!!
    Agin I have never done this but from what I read it does work for removing carbon build up on high millage motors.
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!

9. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Seems like all that carbon might tear your rings up.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

10. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

The whole idea is just too hokey for me. Would like to here from some more brave souls AKA guinea pigs. Last month someone mentioned a GM Top Engine Cleaner that worked well & I've used BG44K fuel treatment that smoothed my idle out real good.

<font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

11. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

I was really skeptical on it at first, but I decided to try it on an old car that I had that smoked terribly. I decided I might as well try it because the next step was to rebuild the engine anyway. I dumped it in and HUGE clouds of smoke came out of the exhaust. But after a couple of minutes the smoke had cleared and the car was running great and hardly smoking at all. I tried it again and the car quit smoking almost completely. This was two years ago and I'm still driving the car without having rebuilt the engine yet. It went from smoking so bad that you could lay a smokescreen to hardly smoking at all. I thought it was a dumb idea at first but it was unbelievable what it did for that engine. Just my .02.

12. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

It works and is harmless except for turbo engines the carbon is not good for the turbo.
    Also someone might call the fire department over the smoke.
    The new rage is seafoam.

But another good ATF trick is rig an extra windshield washer with atf to squirt in carb on damand you would be amazed how fast the tail gaters back off when the smoke comes pouring out your tail pipe.
    Always good for a laugh.

13. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

I thought of that once-- but was worried I 'd "become the trail" after that..
    Heh heh!
    The ATF thing is just cheaper than MArvel Mystery oil!

Pour a can of it in your oil about 150 miles before and oil change-- cures thing like stuck lifters and sticky valves--it's just lube!
    -DV8

14. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

A quick summary of the posts and personal experience:
    Works best with high milage engines, low mileage you may not notice anything.
    Don't use on turbo/superchargers.
    Don't use if have aluminum heads.
    Don't park with the tailpipes pointing at anything you don't want to clean.
    Fire department may be notified.
    Worked some on my 3,000 mile 350, enough I'll try it again in about 6 months

15. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

So are we talking about putting it in the carb or sucked up the pcv? If carb, how much? Ill try it on the DODGE.

DangerBrett[​IMG]

16. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

From all the posts, they all say to let it get sucked up by the pcv hose.

3 more days til the weekend and I'm gonna try it.

17. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

It's the "cold" ATF fluid that's the trick here hitting the hot carbon build up right?

Is colder better? I.e. at room temperture give o.k. results, but a little colder (in freezer for 10 minutes maybe) would give better results?

...you first!...

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado (a.k.a. ThunderDog)

18. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I used to work at a junk yard many years ago. To make cars run after setting for years the old boy would get it running and then have somebody keep it running while he "trickled" atf in the carb.I have never seen so much white smoke in my life....but the stuff really worked . It cleans off the carbon as well as unsticking rings. The colder the better.Do not put too much at once in at once and if the motor dies...you might as well get some new plugs .[​IMG]

<font color=green>Eagle86K5