Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATF in 205?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MUD JUNKIE, Dec 15, 2003.

1. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

today,I decided to check the gear oil fluid level in the 205 case,upon takeing out the top fill bolt,it seamed like gallons of ATF came out.is the seal wornout and not keeping the ATF inside the tranny? why did it have so much in it!!
    I knew somthing was wrong when tranny fluid was coming out of the breather line into the cab.

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

maybe somone put tranny fluid in there. Were you the last one to mess with it?

I know that my Tcase was full of tranny fluid for the longest time, and i didnt think anything of it, I finally put gear oil in it... the thing still works.....

3. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

no,I work on my stuff myself.
    if they did they wold have to take the transfercase off,tip it on its side,and fill it all the way up,till no more could fit in,this I doubt would happen.
    the fluid level was way past the top bolt

4. chevystepside

chevystepside 1/2 ton status

do you have an auto trans? if so your rear trans seal between the tcase and trans adaptor plate might be letting atf enter your tcase.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

On the older 205's the seal is in the adapter. There are 2 of them. Mine are toast as well. I just keep putting more fluid in the tranny and drain the 205 every now and then. GM specked out ATF for 205's for a few years so I don't see it as being a problem that it has half gear oil and half ATF in it.

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i thought the 208 was the only case out of the 205,203,and 208 that could use ATF..of course theres also the 241..and im assuming thats atf to.. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

poster is correct... gm did spec ATF in transfer cases in later 205s.....
    I believe they were looking at every possible way to increase the cafe mileage and in the fact that atf was lighter in weight it might offer less friction than gear oil...
    I replaced all three of my 89s that had atf with gear lube...the net result is no mileage difference and they run a little quieter...lube should not "pour" out obviously but can be felt when you just stick your finger in... overfilling can be hard on seals.
    leaking seals are problematic... determine if it is and replace it...
    cam

8. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Ditto what he said /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. clutch

clutch Registered Member

sounds like you overfilled your trans to me!

10. bigred81

bigred81 1/2 ton status

I would pull the t-case and replace the seal because some of 90 w can get into the trans and can cause it to start slipping. This happened on my 89 V 30 crew cab about 4 months ago. I noticed I was losing atf and kept on adding atf till it killed my freshly rebuilt 400. I lost reverse and I noticed when I took it apart that the atf had a strong smell of 90 w and it caused the reverse band in the back to burn up. The atf had a usual feel like 90 w. It turned out that the seal was bad on the t-case at the cost of another which I did myself. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

James Startz