Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATF in a transfer case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wrathORC, Oct 12, 2002.

1. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

First, does a NP208 have a vent tube? I thought for sure my manual said there is one but while I was under there I couldn't find one... nevermind, with a more elaborate search I found "Mr Red"s post about where it is. According to him it's on the top near where the halves meet. I wonder why I missed it. Anyway...

What does water contaminated ATF look like in a transfer case? I know in a transmission it turns chocolate brown but I don't know what it'd look like in a transfer case (where there is no clutches mixing it up and heating it up). I turned my truck into a deep-sea submersible today and I crawled under there and cracked open the drain plug and the ATF was still as red as it's supposed to be. I don't want to go through the hassle of changing it if it's not necessary (since the fluid was changed within the last six months).

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    When I was rebuilding my tranny I had a spare one that I robbed a few parts out of. It was sitting on the tailgate of my truck, and I spilled tranny fluid all over the place. After the first rain, the tranny fluid developed a white milky stuff that stuck to the tailgate. It was kinda like it separated into multiple parts. I think that if you got water in there, you'd be able to tell.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

When in doubt, change it out!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif To be honest, I wouldn't call servicing a 208 a "hassle". In my opinion, it's the easiest fluid change on the whole truck.

If you're worried about potential contamination, I would just go ahead and swap out the fluid. 5-6 litres of ATF and half an hour of your time is a lot cheaper than replacing your 208......

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I agree, but since it's supposed to snow tomorrow and have 20mph winds I'd rather not. The 208 is a pain to fill even with my handy-dandy pump. To me, changing differentials is easier. Pull the bolts, yank the cover, wipe out the case, RTV the cover, put it back on, fill it up. Sadly enough, it takes me less time to do a differential than the transfer case.

I bought 5 quarts of Quaker State ATF today and I have enough 80w90 to do both axles but I hate working when it's cold and windy. I didn't change the fluid today because it was so windy that it kept blowing my pan away.

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

OK, so it makes like motor oil and turns into a gray milk color? I'm probably going to end up changing it but I want to wait for a day when it's not windy. Plus, it'll give me a chance to do a "polish" fix on my leak between the case halves. I hate wearing ATF. It soaks in to your arms and makes them feel all tingly..

thanks

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Water mixed with ATF looks sorta like a strawberry milk shake. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

OK, at least I know what to look for. I was afraid that since it just kind of gets mixed up in a NP208 that it would still look normal and the water wouldn't mix all that well so it might fool me.

It's not windy today and it's above freezing (by less than 5°) so I plan on changing it anyway.

Thanks
    Brian

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The 208 is a pain to fill even with my handy-dandy pump

[/ QUOTE ]
    I cut a milk jug up to where you have a sideways funnel. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ewwww white stuff! Yuck!. I'm sitting in my living room in shorts and a T-Shirt with all the windows open. Had to put the soft top on the 75 last night because of rain but it's coming off today.
    Sure glad I no longer live in MI.
    It sounds clean. A simple way to check is always make sure the case is full. If water gets in then it will be overfilled and pour out when you check it.

10. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I've got a transfer case that leaks pretty good. It probably leaks a quart every three months. Someday I'll take it out and fix the leak properly (it leaks between the case halves).

I think I smell a braggert. haha. It's not fair. I'd be happy if it were at least 50° outside. http://www.weather.com/weather/local/49931

You can see the water line here on the door. It's probably no big deal for most people but it's significant to me. I told myself I'd never do anything like that to my pretty truck. Everyone else told me I was crazy for doing it to such a nice truck. The embarassing part is that the Bronco that I yanked out on 35s and 6" of lift out of a mud hole made it through the water. I got hunt up on a rock and a log. This is the depth I got stuck at but I drove it through water that went past the fender well. http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicles/images/84k10/wheeling/boyscout-101202/passengerfloor.jpg

Got to love Michigan weather. My other pictures in the same directory show that the leaves are still green in my yard.
    http://www.wrath.com/images/depository/101302/snow6.jpg

The two things in the yard is my vinyl floor and that horsehair mat garbage I yanked out yesterday after parking my truck in water up to the hump. At least my seat didn't get wet.