Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATF questions...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jarheadk5, Mar 20, 2000.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Some questions to ponder...

1. What brand, variety, flavor, etc. are you using in your trans? (700R4) Are there any to stay away from?
    2. Same as above, but sub NP208 for 700R4.
    3. Can you OVERcool an auto tranny? I'm planning on adding a cooler to my 700R4, but I don't have a clue what size to get. Should I splice the cooler in before or after the stock in-radiator cooler, or just forget about that one? If I install a temp gauge, what is a safe temp and a "get another credit card to pay the repair bill" temp? (BTW, the winters in my part of PA get fairly cold, like teens and twenties at night. Summers are 80's, occasional 90's)
    4. It's not quite ATF, but... Where are the vents on 208 X-cases and 700R4 trans? Haven't looked too hard yet but I do want to extend them higher eventually.

I appreciate any help, opinions, b*tche$, moans, and complaints that you may have. Feel free to heckle (or maybe answer) my newbie questions. Thanks guys n' gals.

Semper Maintenance!

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

jarhead, where in pa are you at? i think you are the first Pennsylvania k5'er on the board (besides myself). im just outside of NE philly in lower bucks. nice to have you[​IMG]

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

3. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I dont have a favorite flavor for trans fluid. As far as overcooling, yes you can. It will harm the trans, but it won't damage it as quickly. Something to do with the clutches not geting up to the proper operating temp, and the fluild need to get to a specific temp (atleast) to evoprate the condensation (water) that gets into it. As far as before or after the radiator, this depends. you can actually do a few things here depending on differen't problems. If your truck runs hot, and can't cool it proplerly, put you cooler before your radiator, this will help to cool the radiator also. But it is usually suggested to place after the radiator. I've heard of people undoing their cooler in the winters, or putting cardboard infront of them. A option I'm planning on using (if I move back to Michigan) is to put some petcocks in steel lines so I can bypass the acc.cooler with out having to do anything other than flip a couple of switches. There was a article in fourwheeler a year or so ago about the 700r4's and what they did to cool their trans. You may wnat to look it up. I'll see if I can find it when I get home (11:30est) and they used the smallest B&M supercooler. Aprox $50 for it. They had used the next size up from smallest and it over cooled the trans. (diesel w/oversized tires off road) Also, as far as the vent on the trans, I think its about mid level on the p/s of the trans, I'm not for sure about the t-case.

Best of luck...

Corey
    88K5

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

4. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

Dexron II is listed for both NP208 & 700R4. The vent tube on the NP208 is on top of the case, near where the front and back halves bolt together.

Good Luck,
    <font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

5. Jamie

Jamie Registered Member

He's not the only one shaggy I'm here in Johnstown PA

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Just to clarify...
    I know to use DextronII/III fluid (no offense, Mr. Red); I was looking for a good brand name. I'm considering the Quaker State 4x4 formulation in the clear bottle and was hoping for some kind of guidance/advice. BTW, I'm in Morrisville, PA

Semper Maintenance!

7. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

Pittsburgh PA here

(Sorry, no ATF advice)

<font color=blue>Rob
    85 K5</font color=blue>
    [​IMG] 24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day - Coincidence?

8. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

None Taken [​IMG] I've always used AC Delco. Never given it much thought. This is a good question. Probably depends on how you feel about brands? Maybe some have some additives? I'm gonna do some surf'n to see whatz out there. OK, I'm back from Mobil, Penzoil, AC Delco, & Quaker State web sites. Quaker state is the only one who comes right out and says the stuff in the clear bottle is a synthetic. I was hesitant when synth. oil 1st came out but am now a believer in Mobil 1's stuff. Maybe the Quaker State synthetic is the way to go since it'll be less likely to break down faster than regular ATF. Someone who's a member of Consumer's Report/Consumer's Union should check with them; those guys rate everything!

<font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

9. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    What I did was spent $80 for full synthetic lub front, rear, t-case & trans, just to drop it into water upto the chrome line down the side. Needless to say, I wasted $80 before I found out if it made any real difference. Sorry... Oh, a friend just pointed out, it didn't get me through the water...

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

10. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I use Dextron in the tranny and transfer case, I change both along with the tranny filter at 15,000 miles to ensure I have not sudden unforseen problems.

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

11. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

Adding to the DEXRON in the NP208. . . I have severe leakeage from the seal around where the drive shaft exists the t-case--how easy of a job is it to fix it? do I have to take the whole thing out and take aprt the halves or what?

Is this an ALL WEEK END thing or can I get a "Honeydo" day in there too?

-DV8