Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATF to "clean" engine???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TopOff, Dec 12, 2002.

1. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

ATF to \"clean\" engine???

OK I have this crazy IDEA to "CLEAN" the insides of my engine.
    Last I looked there was indeed some sludge on the engine internals.

My reason to "clean" is because
    1) I THINK the oil rings have not seated (or I put them together wrong) /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif as the engine oil turns black within 5 or 10 miles. I have tried Valvoline, Havoline, Castrol, and Kendall motor oils with no change in black oil.

2) Either my cheap-a$$ use of NOS lifters (and OEM pushrods) are bad, or they have sludge in them and some of them tick. I have tried re-adjusting with no changes in the ticking of the valve lash.

I had the engine rebuilt 20k ago. Cheap head job, then one of my head's cracked. So I had another set of heads put on with a GOOD valve job - hardened seats, new valve guides and seals. So I doubt it is the valve seals.

So back to the ATF thing - is this a "good" idea? And more importantly will it work?

If not - is there something out there that WILL work? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

If nothing else, I will change the cam and lifters. But what to do about the black oil?

BTW: the plugs look great - thanks to my fuel-injection, hence I don't think it is a fuel-rich problem.

Thanks in advance.

2. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

Re: ATF to \"clean\" engine???

ATF if full of detergents and somthing like a 10w-20 if i remember right from my oil technition days. while you can put in with ur oil to help clean the motor it doesnt stand of to the abuse and heat very long so i wouldnt run in there for long. We used to do this on our parts car ( geo metro ) that had a bad rig and used to dirty up the oil quick. but to do it right you need to go to a place that has the bilstine engine flush machine ( we had that to ) most places cost like 100 bucks to do it but in reality it is very exspensive to use. just the filter alon for the machine is $40 ( plus the oil and filter have to be changed when done..all adds up )per use and u put a new one in on every flush. the thing catches dirt down to like 2 micro or somthing like that. the oil that runs through the machine is a 5wt mineral oil that is FULL of detergetns to clean out all the sludge plus it uses pressure and vacmume to get all the crap out of the motor. it really does a good job. if you do it ask for the used engine flush filter to slice through to see if any metal is floting aroung the engine. once my friend found little bits oy nylon in the filter from his f150.

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply.

Yah, I wasn't planning on running it in their for long. Probably just like five minutes (1500 - 2000 rpms) or so at normal temp... Kinda' like breaking in a cam.

My g/f's Mitsubishi has the same problem with the ticking lifters, I had that "professionally" flushed. But with no results to the ticking. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

They only charged $75 including chassis lube, oil and filter.

I guess my question is
    Will this ATF HELP??? Maybe??? No way?

Hopefully, it won't hurt to try it?

Thanks again.

4. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

I did the same thing to my LTD a year ago. I emptied about two quarts of oil, put two quarts of ATF and put a new filter on. I ran it for 20 or 30 minutes and changed the oil. The filter felt a lot heavier than the other old one but i didn't have time to cut it open so I don't know. I might do it again and cut it open to find out if it works.

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Ive heard of using Marvel Mystery oil. Supposedly it works.

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

drain the oil, and drop in diesel #2 into it in place of oil... the diesel will clean glazing & other problem, and it has enough oil in the diesel to lubricate. now - it does not have cooling properties to cool it properly... therefore - idle it for 30 minutes, oil change, run 30 minutes, and then change the oil again.

it may sound nuts, but nothing else is going to clean half as well.

7. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

a while back in one of the off road magazines I remember seeing an article on cheap fixes. One of them was basically hooking a hose up to the valve cover beather and dropping the other end in a bottle of ATF, supposedly when the cool ATF hit the deposits the deposits shattered, sorta like putting a cold drink in a glass ya yanked out of the dishwasher before it cooled down. Never tried the ATF and I may have some details wrong.

We used to use Kerosene to flush out engines much like someone else said they used Deisel. Seems to me the kerosene has less "floaters" in it and would be less apt to leave chunks in the wrong places, I dunno about this logic it's just what my dad used to do cause his dad used to ......

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    a while back in one of the off road magazines I remember seeing an article on cheap fixes. One of them was basically hooking a hose up to the valve cover beather and dropping the other end in a bottle of ATF, supposedly when the cool ATF hit the deposits the deposits shattered, sorta like putting a cold drink in a glass ya yanked out of the dishwasher before it cooled down. Never tried the ATF and I may have some details wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I did it and it works. Actually you just pull the hose off you PCV valve and use about 4 oz. of ATF. Just for the hell of it I had my buddy hold a cardboard box up to one of the tail pipes (just one side) and you would not belive the black gritty oily crap that was in the box when it was all said and done, on the other side it just left a black spot on the ground. BTW the engine did run smother after that.

9. VisionxOrb

The ATF in the vacume line trick is to decarbonize the heads and valves. it works really well but smokes quite abit so dunno if it will go over well with the the neighboors. we used to use the stuff call RunRite i think it was and do that. it was a pretty neat setup, kinda like an IV from the doctor. had the bottle u put the stuff in has a tube the runs down ( you hang it from the hood gravity fed) and had the little thing to adjust the flow ( you watch thru a drip chamber ) so it wouldnt smoke so bad. what u could do is use a vacume tube with a T in it and leave the other part of the T open or partially open so it will suck the atf out slowly to clean right and not smoke to bad.

10. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Did ya change the oil and filter after you ran the ATF through, or keep running the same stuff you did when the ATF was run into the line?

11. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

When I bought my dodge it had some really nasty oil in it. It was on the low side so I added 2 qts of ATF and let run for 15-20min while at operating temp. Pulled drain plug and let drain for day or two. Refilled with fresh 15W-40 and new filter and looks pretty good with 1500miles on the oil now.

ATF is what I'd install in my axles, t-cases etc after they got filled with water. Drained the nasty lube, fill with few qts ATF, run on jack stands, then drain. Worked like a charm.

12. VisionxOrb

when we did the atf clean wed drain a about 2 quarts put it in and run it for like 30 min then do an oil change.

13. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

Have you changed your PCV valve yet? might be the problem, just a suggestion.

LooksBack

14. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

With my different fuel injection setup, I am not sure where or what to run on the PCV.

I have been running the PCV (stock for my year '73) as a 3/8" vacuum line into the main vacuum (similiar to the brake booster) on the base of the TBI (carb plate).

I haven't changed it LATELY. But I it does rattle when I shake it or turn it upside down.

I imagine, the problem could be that I have it connected wrong - connected to the wrong vacuum port. Or it is the wrong type of PCV for my TBI engine.

If someone can add some light on how this PCV should be connected, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for all the replies.

Since, I have ATF, I think I will try the ATF thing. Then maybe the Diesel #2. Then I will try Marvel Mystery Oil.

TO

15. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Lots of good dad to dad to dad and "I do it cause he did" stuff here.
    My dad just pours a piece of a bottle of ATF into his boat motor before he stores it and after he wakes it up. Literally just pours it right into the carb when it's running and that seems to work. Pretty much the equivalent of the PCV valve trick.

He said he's used the diesel trick before on a motor he planned to rebuild. He flushed it good so he didn't have to work so hard to wash it. As long as it just idles, I don't think it would be a problem to flush a motor that way. In a motor with a sensitive cam, I'd use some oil of some kind just to keep the lifters happy.

16. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I saw a debate on this diesel issue on another board with a lot of old timers, and some really good mechanic's. the ATF seemed as good of an option unless the engine had overheated, and glazing had taken place. they claimed you could solve the glazing 100% with the diesel.

I just change my oil regularly, and thow some lucas my fuel tank every oil change.

17. bluboti

bluboti Registered Member

Never tried it as a cleanser,but a few ounces is a sutiable replacement for the lead lubricant we use to get in our gas. So says circle track guys.

18. VisionxOrb

but a few ounces is a sutiable replacement for the lead lubricant we use to get in our gas. So says circle track guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is, the desiel or atf???? Ive run few onces of 2stroke for lubricant plus it smells gooooood.

19. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

What is, the desiel or atf???? Ive run few onces of 2stroke for lubricant plus it smells gooooood.

[/ QUOTE ]

and here i was doing it just because my high rev stroke motor doesn't like old oil/gas mix and it would be danged hard for me to replace that motor.
    http://www.commerceconnections.com/knell/boots/buggy.html

20. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I though ATF had friction enhancers in it, such as small metal shavings.... Just doesn't seem like that would be good pulled straight into an engine unfiltered. ....

Another thing to watch is if you break away too much "sludge" on the inside of the engine and it makes it to the pan it can plug the oil pickup screen, and that would have a very negative result. You will want to make sure you flush the pan out real well.

John