Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATK 383 vs GM PP 383

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Madbomber88, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

Any opinions on ATK engines? What is the difference between the smog legal ATK 383 and the GM performance parts not smog legal 383? I know it has to do with computers. Which would you go with for minimal fuss into a 90 K5 along with Thorley headers anda performer intake. Also, what tranny to mate it with?
    Thanks guys, you're the best info out there.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I would go with the 383-HT from GM. It's designend for trucks. Built for more torque. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Where is ATK located? Would you have to pull the engine and ship it back to them for evaluation in the event of a warranty claim? The GM engine can be warranntied at just about any GM dealership. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I'm sure there's one close to you... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As a vehicle manufacturer, GM has to sell their performance engines as "Off Road Use Only" so that they don't have to spend millions of dollars on EPA testing. This doesn't neccesarily mean that you won't be able to pass an emissions test with one of their engines, it just keep GM off the hook from a legal standpoint. Aftermarket rebuilders don't have as much hassle from the EPA, as they aren't nearly as likely to show up on the EPA's radar screen as a huge, multi-billion dollar corporation will. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

Depends on which grade of rebuilt you are getting from ATK....I've sold hundreds to people over the years, but I always sold the 3yr/36k mi. warranty ones, and never had them come back ever. I know a few people who sole the 1yr/24k mi. ones and they's puke w/i a year usually... I'd say go w/ the GM one.

5. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

That's a good point, not sure where they are, something I'll check. Can I transfer the whole TBI and everything over to the 383?

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Not sure what year they started useing Vortec heads, The GM 383-HT uses Vortec heads, so if your stock motor has the Vortec heads it should bolt right up. You may need to get a chip programed for the extra cubes, but thats not that bad.

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

If your '90 is stock, it does not have Vortec heads. At the very least, if you use Vortec heads, you will have to have a new intake, a new fuel pump, a modified chip. Cam selection is the key to making the 383 run with the stock computer and modified chip. Also if you retain the TBI you may have to go to a 454 TBI to get the full benifit of the 383.

Spend some time on Third Generation and see what you may be in for. They have a lot of good info and are very helpful.