Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Atlas 6.0: Let the opinions fly

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TravisO, Jun 27, 2005.

1. TravisO

TravisO 1/2 ton status

Well here ya go. Linky linky.
    Travis

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Massive gap between high and low range. Might have some good applications, but my vehicle definitely isn't one of them. Low-range isn't neccessarily too low, but with my tired 350, I need more reasonable options, staying in hi wouldn't be productive. I'd like to see how that Stak case does when it comes out.

3. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

its for people w/ 4cyl. no body w/ a v8 should ever run one

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

it ain't the "lowest gears offered in any tcase" as they say it is, but its still way way low. I dunno. A klune + (insert your favorite stock t case here) seems like a better option for anyone that has a wheelbase long enough to hold it. Several more options in gears... and if the 2nd tcase has a 2.7-ish low range, your double low would be ~7.3:1. A klune + 205 would be 5.3:1. Me thinks this case would be best for someone with a really short wb rig that wants to "keep things simple" and not have a bazillion shifters. :grin:

the Stak case is very intriguing. I wonder if different gear sets will ever be available? If so, they could build in an OD to it. 0.70:1 high gear... maybe a 2:1 "4wd hi" and a 5:1 crawler low. That'd be bad ass and make non-OD transmissions very streetable even with lower axle gears.

j

5. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

http://www.stak4x4.com/ what do you think of this ????

You can get an atlas for cheaper -$2200
    and stak is like $2800

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

So it's 1:1 and 6:1? Yeah... seems like a bit of a gap.

Also, is the general consensus that an Atlas doesn't belong under a fullsize rig like a K5?

I mean, what do I care, I *just* finished my Doubler ... I'm not changing again, my back hurts! ... but I'm curious :D

-- A

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have yet to hear of anybody breaking an Atlas under a fullsize rig, and there are quite a few huge buggies on Pirate4x4 running them with no apparent issues.

Overall I think the 6:1 Atlas has a place, but it will be for really specific applications like competition rock buggys and maybe some real low powered rigs like Sami's. I just can see much use for it in an all-around type trail rig that actually sees other terrain besides very technical rock trails.

8. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Just for info a Klune and 205 are about the same length as a 208 or 241 :)

9. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I think it would have use in a rig running a powerglide and some power. Thats about the only use i see for it, which is pretty much just comp buggy's. The Toy guys dont need it, we have all the gearing options you could ask for, the zuk guys have been able to get everything from stock to ~4:1 to ~8:1 for quite some time, and when mounted properly they are much stronger than they get credit for. Fullsizes, already have a lot of weight and generally enough wheelbase for a doubler, which is IMHO a better choise.

I like gearing options, and this case doesnt give you many. Good for comp buggy's, but thats about it.

10. TravisO

TravisO 1/2 ton status

bump in the night