Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

atlas in a blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by new2k5, Dec 24, 2002.

1. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

i found out i have a bad fork in my t case wich wont aloow it to go inot 2 wheel since i dont feel i comfortable splitting my tcase i would have to pay someone wich is gonna be pretty expensive and if their in there they might as well rebiuld it since it has a 167K so i am thinkin why not just shell out the extra and get an atlas. i found a group buy to get one fairly cheap. what all will i need to do other than just bolt it to the trans. also should i go 4.3 to 1 or 3.8. i know with a v8 you dont need as much gearing as you would with a 6thanks in advance

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

For a while I was thinking of maybe getting an Atlas.Having 4.3-1 would rock but,I dont need super low all the time.I run around on the trail in 4 low (2.6-1) but when I come up to an obstacle I wish I had 4-1.With the Atlas you have 4 high and 4 super low,nothing in between.

For the price of an Atlas or a KluneV you could buy and ORD doubler complete from ORD with both cases and have 4 high,2-1,and 4-1. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

just my .02 cents /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I think Blk87 runs one in his Blazer.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Marv

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Isnt there a strength issue with the atlas as well? It was my understanding that the atlas would not hold up to a high horse, big tire situation. Maybe it wouldnt be an issue for you though.

5. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I have one in mine and love it. I don't need the 2:1 low or the extra 130 lbs., so I went with the Atlas. If you buy one, you probably won't be happy with the 4.3, it is too hard to stop on a heavy truck, even with discs front and rear. Do not buy their aluminum adapter. It is not needed. Use the adapter that mates a 700R4 to a NP 208 t-case. They told me it was, and I had no way of knowing whether or not it was since I was one of the first ones to even purchase the 27 spline input shaft model. Definately get the 32 spline front and rear outputs shafts. There are no strength issues with an Atlas. I wheel the pee out of mine, and so do many of my friends with 42's and 44's, big blocks, etc. None of us have broke ours. Installing the Atlas is basically a bolt in affair. You will need new driveshafts of course, but that is about it. You can re-use the stock cross member because you are not changing adapters. It is very easy to install an Atlas. If you have any more questions, let me know.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    There are no strength issues with an Atlas. I wheel the pee out of mine, and so do many of my friends with 42's and 44's, big blocks, etc. None of us have broke ours.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for clearing that up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

and Lord knows if Brian can't break it then no one on the face of this planet can. Anybody that can break 2 35spline hubs in less than 1 mile /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif and has an atlas that lives is insurance enough.

8. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

cool thanks guys i am debateing going with the 3.8 since its cheaper and i am worried about being to low for normal offroad drivein.

9. 76k5Blazer

76k5Blazer 1/2 ton status

if you primarly run rock get the lower one if you jsut run forest trails and suck get the higher one
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

if you jsut run forest trails and suck get the higher one

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Mike

11. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

i run it all thats my problem i go camping and hunting in some fairly remote spots and go rockcrawlin at paragon thats why i think the 3.8 will be a good compromise its still lower than the 2.6 stock ratio but not crazy low like the 4.3 /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

well i made my decision i am going with the 3.0 highlander with the 32 spline uprade. if it were a couple years ago before i had a @#%&amp;* fiance. i would definitely have gone 4to1 but since i am almost a married man i only get to go to paragon once a month if i'm lucky. most of my wheelin is on forest trails so according to 76k5 i guess i suck /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif i should have it in a month or less so i'll let ya know how it went and how it works /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I always keep an atlas in my glove box. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I'm a little biased obviously but running a t-case built as a replacement for a D300 in a jeep in your fullsize truck can cause you some problems. They don't spontaneously explode but they're not a 205.
    We'll see how Brian's (blk87K5) holds up when he figures out how to lock his hubs........

I have run into problems with having just a deep gear, I've been in more than one rock situation that required the 2:1 gear to make the truck work right and was really glad I could shift up. And when things get wet a 2 or 3:1 gear is mandatory. Then when you're in really big stuff, a lot of times 4:1 isn't enough if you don't have a deep geared tranny and axles.

I'd have to vote for a cheaper system that has more options and is stronger.

15. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I never did get that hub thing figured out so I just went to drive flanges. Having more gear choices is definately cool, I have to admit. I am a little biased towards the rock crawling aspect, because I *hate* mud.

I'd have to vote for a cheaper system that has more options and is stronger.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I bet you do.

When I break my Atlas, not something little but a real break, you can bury me in a dress. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif