Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Atlas or other?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChadH82, Jul 10, 2001.

1. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

If you guys had a chance to get an atlas would you get it or go with something else? The Doubler is appealling but that is just more to go wrong(both TCases). I know DBlazer has one in his Blazer and loves it but I'm still apprehensive. I talked to a sales person today From AA... no not that one[​IMG]... and said if I didn't have discs brakes all the way around the 4.3:1 would burn up my brakes!?! So he recommended the 3.8:1. I about ordered it right then but I had second thoughts. Is there any other T-Cases out there besides the Atlas that have a low low low range? Tell me what you think.

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

get a klune-v thingy, i've heard they're pretty cool.

scott,
    1989 suburban 3/4t 4" lift soon to be rollin on 35s, tbi350

3. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

I don't know about the atlas and klune-v, other than I haven't heard anything bad about them, but just some info, top 2 TTC winners had doubler, and Steve doesn't sale anything that isn't reliable and up to the task. Just my 2cents worth.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

4. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

I'm not worried about the strength of the Doubler or the T-Cases. I just figure I could get an Atlas for almost as much as rebuilding two T-Cases and buy the doubler. Anyone know the strength ratings on the Atlas? Like how much torque it will stand up to.

Chad

5. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

I had heard that the original Atlas t-case wasn't up to full-size power and weight, but that the Atlas II (which I think DBlazer is running) was a stronger, more heavy-duty version that could handle the full-size trucks. You may want to PM DBlazer for better info, though.

Robb
    '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</A>

6. NoRulz

NoRulz 1/2 ton status

if your going to run an Atlas in a fullsize, make sure you get the 32 spline front output... & do it new, if you want to upgrade later, you'll have to send the t-case back to them to convert the shaft.
    AA is rating them to 900lb-ft with the 32 spline shafts

My Ford has chevy parts! it's all good!

7. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I f I were you and had the money I would go with a 205 and a klune-v. With this you pretty much get the strength of a 205 but a low and extreme low range. Great for the rocks.

Adam,
    79' Jimmy, 35" Big O MT's, 350, NP205

8. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

www.klunev.com

how do you make the hyperlink?

Adam,

9. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.klunev.com>http://www.klunev.com</A>

Adam,

10. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

Ok so if I go with the Klune what should I expect to pay to get a 205? I'm looking for a rebuilt case that will need no work. ie. Boyce. The 80 and up cases are direct bolt ups so that would be good also.

Chad

11. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

When i do this, i plan on getting a Klune-V with a NP241 probably. The 241s are under heavy duty trucks and I will be doing the slip yoke eliminator, that will pretty much make up for most of the Klune-V's extra length. The Klune-V seems to me to be the best way to go, you get your normal Hi and Low range (which in a 241 is 2.72:1 compared to the 205's puny 1.96:1), you get the 4.0:1 Regular Klune Low, and you also have the option of putting your t-case low and the 4:1 together for a Super Low range! In my case, if I do the 241, it would be a crawl ratio of 151.8:1!!! (4.0:1 Klune-V x 2.72 Low range x 4.56 gears x 3.06 first gear trans ratio) Talk about total control! I just don't like the fact that with the Doubler setup I would "only" be at about 55:1 Low range (1.96:1 205 Low x 2:1 203 Low x 4.56 gears x 3.06 first gear trans ratio) - for the amount of money to get the Double setup all done, I just don't see that much improvement to justify the cost. I guess if I kept my 208 and did the Doubler with that, I could get to about 70:1, but still, that doesn't compare to the Klune-V.

Now, just have to win the lottery and I will be all set! ha,ha