Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Atlas?'s again I know I know I've asked b4.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4GUNZ4X4Z, Mar 6, 2002.

1. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Atlas?\'s again I know I know I\'ve asked b4.

Ok all you atlas owners. I've got to know how your atlas's are holding up under abuse. I'm getting closer to buying either a doubler or an atlas. I know alot of you are going to say just buy the doubler, especially when I'm about to tell you I have 2 203's and 2 205's sitting outside dying to get mated togather. I need to know how strong these atlas's are, how much do they weigh, are they made out of the same material as a 208 (which I've blown 2 to peices) or are they as strong as a 205? Can I twin stick em (stick per axle)? Do they have hi-lo or hi-lo-lolo? Whats the skinny on these things? Anybody running one between rockwells?
    Anybody running a 203-203-205 (tripler/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif)?

2. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Re: Atlas?\'s again I know I know I\'ve asked b4.

The Atlas comes twin sticked. They only have 1:1 and real low (3:1, 3.8:1, or 4.3:1 depending which you get). There's no reason to use two 203s now that you can get lower gears for the 203.

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I was looking at Atlas t cases but what turned me away from them is that its only a 2 speed.You have 4 hi and 4 super low.The 4.3-1would be killer but I would not want that to be my only low range.I think Im gonna go with the doubler due to the 3 low range choises.

4. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Whats this lower gears for the 203, when did this happen? What kinda low are we talking about?

5. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ord&amp;Number=318232&amp;page=0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=>http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ord&amp;Number=318232&amp;page=0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=</a>

6. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I asked this earlier also and the replies from CKS'ers that had them they said they have broken some D60 stub shafts but never the atlas. I plan on useing the atlasII 4.3 w/ 32 spline input and outputs (Reccommended for fullsizes) If i were you i would probably go w/ the doubler because 1) you have the peices) 2) theose peices were made for a fullsize so there is really no ? as to if it will break and 3) better selection of gears i.e.2 wd--2 lo-4 hi-4 lo-4 lo lo

the main reason i am going w/ an atlas is the bolt on factor----if i had all the parts for the doubler i would do that.

dan

7. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Thats one of my concerns is the bolt on factor as well. I like the idea of ordering it and slapping it on there. I've got a 350 in my K5 now but I'm going back to the 700 and in order to bolt the 203 onto the 700 (easy way)I will have to change out the output shaft kinda of a hassle on the 700 IMHO. Still not sure...of which to get.

8. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

KEEP IN MIND THAT THE OUTPUT SHAFT ON THE 700R4 IS NOT AS STRONG AS YOU THINK. I BROKE OFF THE OUTPUT SHAFT ON MY 700/205. JUST SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT.
    TH400/203/205 DOUBLER IS THE WAY TO GO......

9. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Yeah I'm keeping it in mind but I'm not a big fan of the 350 or 400 trannys. I figure if I'm going to keep burning up trannys or breaking them, I'm going to take the overdrive and lower 1st gear.

10. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

HELL WITH A DOUBLER WHO CARES ABOUT THE LOW FIRST GEAR IN THE 700R4.

11. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I do...

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

wanna sell me a 205 since you have all those laying around?

13. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

No can do, I had a hell of time just finding them and even over paid on 1 of them. I'm kinda working on 2 toys at the same time and my original plan was to build a doubler for each toy, but I'm not that far along yet. So thats the reason they are just sitting. Tell you what if I get an atlas I'll sell you a 205, but dont hold your breath.../forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

14. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Does anybody know if DBlazer got his 2 1/2 tons on yet and if he is still running his atlas?

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

haha. I understand man. I sold a 205 for about $250 last year, just needed the cash too bad. Wish I still had it.

I haven't heard from Nashu in a long time. Word had it that his job got pretty rocky, so there's no telling if he's running the k5 still or not.

16. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Yeah he sent a pm back in january and he said that he had his front rockwell but thats the last I've heard.

17. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Keep in mind that for the same money as an atlas we can send a Doubler that will bolt right in, no parts to find. The TH700 output is more of a length thing, you can put the 203 right up to your NP208 adapter housing.
    Overall length, Atlas wins huge, depending on adapters it's about 15-16" long from the back of the trans, the Doubler is 22.5". Weight, Atlas wins (or loses?), it's about 110#, Doubler is about 240# (helps hold the truck down?)
    Ratio selection and overall low range ability the Doubler wins. With 3.6 in the 203 you get all the cool options, and even without, 4:1 works pretty good.
    Parts scrounge-ability, Doubler wins.
    Toughness, Doubler wins, not by a huge margin but it is stronger.

I think it's kind of funny how they put a big front output in it and call it 1-ton rated. The gears are the same! I'm sure it made a difference overall but still.

Most customers choose the Doubler for the parts availability and the lower price. For a lot the brute strength is a biggie.

18. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Well this latest (for me) development of the doubler being able to "bolt in" complete (w/ me not looking for everything) will probably move me more to the doubler /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. We'll see here pretty soon though.

19. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

Advance couldn't tell me a torque rating for the T-case. Or max. input RPM. Or max GVW. So I didn't gamble on it. The only rumored torque rating I've come across for it was posted on this board, and was less than an NP231, so I know it can't be right.

--Rob

20. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Well since FINALLY somebody came up with low reduction for the 203. I'm going to go with the doubler for sure especially since I have already invested in 4 t-cases to do this. But I would still like to know if anybody has ever busted up an atlas.................?