Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Atlas transfer case heavy enough?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Judd, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Would the Atlas II transfer case be strong enough for a fullsize K5? My K5 has a 6.2L, 700R, 208 and 3/4 ton running gear. I'm running 39.5s and may go to 42s later.

I found a Atlas II local for a decent price and was wondering if I could use it? It would save me alot of money over a doubler setup since I don't have a 203 or a 205 right now.

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

i dont have any experiance with atlas but from what ive heard they are very stout. Maybe someone else has some better advise though.

Nick

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Your 700R4 will give out before the Atlas would.

4. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Why not double 205/203 for the same amount of money and have it be stronger? Its not like your rig needs to be light.

5. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the quick responses. The Atlas is 1900 bucks or less and it's new, all I would have to do is buy a 700R adapter. Could I do a doubler for less?

The way I see it, with the Atlas I would be gaining a 4.6 low gear vs a 4.0, I would save driveline length and save money over the Doubler setup {I think /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif}.

Anyone have any negatives? Need to make a decision pretty quick on the Atlas. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

You should be able to do the doubler and save a few hundred over the atlas (I think /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif)

7. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I had a full size Ramcharger in my shop with a very very healthy 440 he had an atlas II that was the first one every put in a fullsize. Runs 39.5's, wheels hard in Colorado. No problems with it over 2 years later. I would say go for it.

8. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

The doubler is not necessaraly cheaper---yes the adaptor is 740, then you buy the shifters, then you FIND and buy a 203 to hook up to the tranny YOU have, then you have to find amd buy a 32 spline 205, or just a regular 205 and machine it to fit 32 spline. and all the little stuff that goes w/ it.

I was seriously planning on running an atlas, even in the stages of saving the $$, but after a 32 spline 205 fell in my laps i started looking for a tranny/203 combo---soon after that a 400/203 also fell in my laps. I was seriously lucky in my finds and how much they were---if thats your luck then so be it. but it dosn't happen often.

I liked the atlas for the "Bolt on and go" aspect. i was not considering the doubler because of the wait and find and scourage aspect.

i do believe the doubler is stronger as in both transfercases were behing our big trucks and were built for big heavy abuse.

the atlas is damn strong and i do believe it will (and i know it does) stand against out trucks, but i think it "could" break behind some serious lead foot.

Check out Dblazer's truck, i don't know if he is still around but he has a mild motor, ?? tranny, atals, klune and 44's and he wheels the snot out of it and it stands up to the abuse

basically

will the atlas hold up----yes
    is the doubler stronger---yes

it just depends on which would be the better option for you.

my $.02

9. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Thanks folks, that's what I was looking for. Gotta be as strong as my 208 I reckon. I'm going to try to get it.

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

ScoobyD,

I'm sure you already know this, but ORD sells rebuilt 205 and 203 cases now. All new internals, seals, bearings, and the 32-spline shafts for the Doubler setup..... makes it a lot easier on the folks that don't want to "scrounge" for parts or find someone to do machine work to retrofit their existing cases.

IIRC, Watson prices the whole thing as a "bolt in" at around $2200. I'm not sure what an Atlas costs by comparison??? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

i knew about buying the cases from Steve, but that add to the cost. i just glanced ofer at AA and the price fo a comperable case is about $2200---so I guess it's just a matter of preferance now huh.

now i know

12. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Blk87K5 runs one, and that I know of, he never had any problems with it, I think he broke his Dana 60 more than he broke his atlas.

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I think part of it depends on how you wheel your truck. If the Atlas you are looking at is the 4.3:1 version than I think it limits the vehicle's ability UNLESS all you do is serious rock crawling. I just don't think you can get enough wheelspeed for slippery stuff with a 4.3:1 low range, so the doubler is nice in that respect because you have the option of using just a 2:1 low range if needed. We have a couple of Jeeps in our club with the 3.8:1 Atlas and a couple more with 4:1 gear sets in the stock t-case. They all seem to have trouble under certain conditions that require wheelspin. Going forward you can always upshift but can still run out of gear, but in reverse you don't have that option.

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

on a fullsize truck, i would prolly run an atlas behind anything short of a BUILT big block. ya got a 502 or kick azz 454 or a big desiel, sure go doubler cause its beefier. For those who dont plan on having 600ft lbs anytime soon, the atlas is plenty beefy imo and lighter too.

j

15. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Engine torque is only half the equation, traction is the other side of it. Big tires and heavy vehicles can create a lot of traction for any motor to push against.

I also know of some big trucks with Atlas's in them. The owners do not get it so the case will last forever.

You just have to evaluate your level of wheeling.

I know I wouldn't be without the 2:1 low gear and I wouldn't be without the strength of the 205. I use both, sometimes at the same time.