Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

atlas transfer case yeah or neah?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stretch67, Aug 29, 2004.

1. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

since i lifted the truck more, front and rear shafts are a little short. so i gotta have them redone, i am also thinking about a crawler type t-case. a local 4x4 shop guy was telling me all the good things about the atlas t-case,instead of running a doubler setup. anyone have any experience with the the atlas. price is about the same as a rebuilt ord setup but much lighter and much shorter? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

shorter don't know, not a whole hell of a lot lighter, little deeper gear ratio. Eh whatever. I want one bad. Gonna sell my 97 pickup and use the money to buy an Atlas /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, and coilovers.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Atlas is definitely shorter than a doubler, and lighter too. Aluminum housing vs 1.5 heavy as hell old school iron housings. Doubler, twin sticked is more versatile.. IMO thats its main advantage, unless you have an old 203 and 205 laying around, then price is significantly better with the doubler...

j

4. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

i have a 203 and 205 but both have wrong shafts for my application. so ordering both rebuilt from ORD sounds easier but the atlas sounds tempting! guy said they can handle 800 ft pounds torque /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

whats the advantage of running the atlas over the doubler, /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

atlas length is 13.8" a np205 is 20.5" plus a atlas is about 125-150 lbs vs a doubler which is 500+? i am just starting to ask ??'s so i have no opinion's if everything is true atlas sounds like the sh#T 4.3:1 ratio and all? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Wagoner Machine shop sells a 3-1 kit for the NP203 range box, so if you use that in a doubler you can get 6-1. I think that even with the 3-1 gears, you can still make the doubler for cheaper than an atlas, with a better low range too.

heck, I even forgot about the new 3-1 kit they are making for the NP205. just bolt the WMS 203 rangebox to that and you have a cool 9-1. now cheap...thats another story /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Atlas 4.3 is 110# dry. It comes with a twin stick mechanical shifter but you can upgrade to a twin stick cable shifter for $70. This will make shifter mounting much easier.

I love my Atlas but they get expensive. I have the 4.3(no speedo), 32 spline outputs, e-brake, and 1350 cv flanges. It cost me more than I care to remember without digging up the receipt. I am running it behind a th400 with the short out put shaft which is found on the 400/203 combo. If I had it to do again, I would have used a longer output in the transmission because my front shaft angles suck with a 4* clock on the t-case due to how short it is. I had to change it to an 8* clock just so my shaft wouldn't bind. My overall length from bellhousing to output flange is 35". I still have a flat belly with an 8* clock on it. Any more and the t-case would hang down a little bit. I also had to cut the hell out of my floor to get it to fit at that degree. As for gearing options, I built a th400 with a full/manual valve body so I can start out in any gear. Here is a run down of my gear choices (t-case output values):

The doubler will weight near 250#'s all said and done. You really don't have to many more gear choices due to the cases both having close to the same ratio. I figured them all up one time and there just weren't that many more options that what I have now. I also plan to add a Klune-V in front of my Atlas in the future. If gear ratios are what you want, go with a WMS 3.0 NP203 and NP205. That will give you lots of choices.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

only disadvantage is gear choice. you have the 203 and the 205 with the doubler to have a wide range of gears with the Atlas its just the tcase and the trans. But thats more than enough in my opinion /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.