Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATM Machine.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by marine_enlisted, May 5, 2004.

1. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

I was at the ATM today and after recievung my cash I counted it as usual, and it was all there as usual. I then began to ponder the inner workings of the ATM. How does it know how much money it's giving you and how can it be right evry single time? I was also thinking that if they can invent a money dispenser that never screws up, why cant they invent a money taker that never screws up? You know, to replace the pieces of crap they put in the vending machines and change machines? I get really pissed off when I'm trying to give my money away, and I can't because of a little wrinkle. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Another question; has anyone ever been short-changed or gotten extra cash at an ATM. If you do get shorted what do you do about it? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

This article has the basics of how it is done.
    See, the difference between an ATM and a vending machine is that the ATM already knows that the money it is spitting out is legit. A vending machine has to check out each piece of currency as it comes in. This will give you an idea of how that is done.

And, if you are shortchanged, at least at the bank I work at, you come in, with your reciept, and we can balance the cash in the machine to make sure you are telling the truth.
    We check the amount of money in the machine, and compare it to what it has recorded since the last time it was filled.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

we service machines (pull deposits, change receipt/log rolls, restock envelopes, and do cash swaps on ATMs), they aren't that complicated... but Im not going to divuldge anything about their inner workings here.

AFA the "perfect money taker"... the cash that is loaded into ATMs are almost always nice crisp bills that come straight from the bank's central cash vault and/or the federal reserve. That said, sometimes they do not feed properly and the machine discards the unloadable bill and snags the next one. This process is probably less picky simply because money-taking machines are all worried about counterfit bills and such and ATM machines dont have to worry about that, they just need to feed the bills.

speaking of the fed res, I was in there a while back and a different $ transport company was loading up their big coin truck (practically a semi) with cash...floor to ceiling. armored guy estimate, $75-100 million in cash. yikes!

j

4. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    speaking of the fed res, I was in there a while back and a different $ transport company was loading up their big coin truck (practically a semi) with cash...floor to ceiling. armored guy estimate, $75-100 million in cash. yikes!

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

PM if you need help /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can drive... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I then began to ponder the inner workings of the ATM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Atm's are really simple machines. All of the Microsoft haters will be interested to know that many ATM's (soon ALL of them at my Bank) run Windows XPe. Have you seen the little camera on those things? Those are controlled by a separate sub-system that also runs on Windows XPe. I engineered the security settings for both of those systems at my Bank.

[ QUOTE ]
    If you do get shorted what do you do about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Contact your Bank as soon as possible. There is so much redundancy and auditing in place that a mistake is pretty simple to find. Most Banks will issue an immediate credit for the disputed amount while they investigate.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

other guys at work just dont care... but I think its fun seeing a big azz pile of money like that. Ive been working for 3-4 months now and I never get tired of seeing things like that. I remember the first time I saw a bunch at the fed... it was a room about 30' long, 10' wide... completely filled with $20s about 5' deep. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

btw, in the movies where a guy has a million dollars in his briefcase and its in $20 bills is BS. A million in 20s wouldnt even fit in a large suitcase and it'd be to heavy for a normal person to carry comfortably. anyway, I get a good laugh when I see things like that in movies now. lol! Some movies try (like Heat.... they had big heavy bags to the stuff and there was lots of em) but very few use the actual scale of the real stuff.

j

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

No, its supposed to be a million in 100's in the briefcase. Better go back and test out the theory and let us know if it works /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

btw, in the movies where a guy has a million dollars in his briefcase and its in $20 bills is BS. A million in 20s wouldnt even fit in a large suitcase and it'd be to heavy for a normal person to carry comfortably. anyway, I get a good laugh when I see things like that in movies now. lol! Some movies try (like Heat.... they had big heavy bags to the stuff and there was lots of em) but very few use the actual scale of the real stuff.

j

[/ QUOTE ]
    Or Die Hard 3, the truck loads of gold, it would have taken about 10 times as many trucks to move as much gold as they said they were moving.

11. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

All of the Microsoft haters will be interested to know that many ATM's (soon ALL of them at my Bank) run Windows XPe. Have you seen the little camera on those things? Those are controlled by a separate sub-system that also runs on Windows XPe.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yup. Steeking Micro$oft. Ours actually run a stripped-down Win2k.

[ QUOTE ]
    Most Banks will issue an immediate credit for the disputed amount while they investigate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't Reg E (FDIC) specify that you have to? I rember reading something in there about that...

12. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    No, its supposed to be a million in 100's in the briefcase. Better go back and test out the theory and let us know if it works /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

in 100s it would fit if it was a good sized briefcase... sure as heck wouldnt fit in one of those "trendy" slim ones. Last time I went to usb ccv I hefted a bag of 100s that was $1,600,000. It was about 34" by 18" by 6"... so yeah, leave that bling 1" thick suitcase at home...

j