Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Att.....A-tron and it's customers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75, Apr 30, 2003.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Att.....A-tron and it\'s customers

I installed my very lovely a-tron disk brake kit today, however I decided to replace my bearing and races at the same time as well which is a good thing considering I have no clue what shape they were in.

A-tron list Timkin part # (2lm104949) and (2lm104911) as the inner bearing and race, this was corect but now Auto-Zone and other parts stores are not stocking it.

However, they do carry Timkin (set 38) which has both the correct bearing and race for about 12.00 per side for the inners, the outer wheel bearings are the same however, also if you can't get bearing seal part #28426 ask for (2081) at auto zone.

Every thing else is just as it should be and I recommend just buying the a-tron hose kit as well , because after you hunt down the parts yourself it cost the same anyways, plus for 6 bucks extra you can get the steel brained lines

And for those who care, Auto-Zone is only charging $12.00 each for remanufactured calipers after you turn in a core, also they have rotors for only $24.99 each /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[edited]....
    I also I recommend just using a punch/screw driver and a hammer to loosen the lock nut that sets the preload, then take this with you to your local parts store and get the correct 6 prong socket as sizes do vary, then follow the factory specs as to what you should set your preload at for you bearings. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Once again, thank you Shawn..

I mean Sean "sorry I was spelling it the correct way, but I guess you are an exception /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif -Shawn

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: Att.....A-tron and it\'s customers

[ QUOTE ]

I also don't recommend wasting your time and $22.00 finding the correct 6 prong socket for a 14 bolt, just use a hammer and screw-driver, or a punch..it's easy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif A press really makes this job easier too /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> It's kind of a PITA to properly adjust the bearings with a hamer and a screwdriver though, and impossible to adjust them according to the manual where you tighten it to certain torque values to seat the bearings. Hammer and screwdriver method should be a last resort, not something that's planned on, IMHO.</font>

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

I also don't recommend wasting your time and $22.00 finding the correct 6 prong socket for a 14 bolt, just use a hammer and screw-driver, or a punch..it's easy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif A press really makes this job easier too /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> It's kind of a PITA to properly adjust the bearings with a hamer and a screwdriver though, and impossible to adjust them according to the manual where you tighten it to certain torque values to seat the bearings. Hammer and screwdriver method should be a last resort, not something that's planned on, IMHO.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that! I would rather play it safe to spend $22 for the socket and KNOW the bearings are torque to spec rather than "guesstimating" it and having the tire/wheel fall off later down the road. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Run those improperly seated bearings for a while and see if it repair of the resulting damage was worth saving $22.00.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Especially when i picked on up at napa for $13.00 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Run those improperly seated bearings for a while and see if it repair of the resulting damage was worth saving $22.00.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I just bought the socket for $10 at Pepboys. It was in the wrong package. The package was for a 4 prong D44/10bolt but it was 6 prong. It was sealed so it came from the manufacture that way!

7. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

(mad rush of ck5'ers to pep boys)

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I also don't recommend wasting your time and $22.00 finding the correct 6 prong socket for a 14 bolt, just use a hammer and screw-driver, or a punch..it's easy

[/ QUOTE ]
    Have you ever noticed that the spindle is welded to the axle tube on a 14-bolt? So if the bearings (that you couldn't preload properly) seize and chew up the spindle, you get to buy a new rear end so you can swap in the housing. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I'm guessing that would cost WAY more than the tool. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

It is nearly always a good idea to buy the proper tool for any job. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Use some of the money you save by fixing your junk yourself to build up a nice collection of tools. You'll use 'em again... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

by the way, does anyone know the part number for the 14 bolt socket? I bought the D60 one at Napa and I'm wondering if it also will work with the 14 bolt. It says for 1 ton GM trucks, but doesn't specify front or rear axle. It has the male 6 prong and female as well. Cannot remember the part number tho.

10. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

My same socket works for my dana 60 and my 14 bolt. My socket is 6 prong.

Some Dana 60s were 4 prong, I think 81 and up or so.

Anyway, the diameter of the socket is the same, prong cound you have to check yourself.
    -- Mike

11. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

ok guys, you are correct, I just had no luck finding the correct socket so I just did it with the hammer and screw driver, I just got back from Checkers and took the lock nut with me and rented the correct kit with the part inside it that I needed. I was just so fed up and the screw driver turned out to work, it was very late when I got done and I didn't think about the preload on the bearings untill today /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thank you for correcting this "know it all" 18 year old , I would hate to have someone act on this bad advice and I will edit the post /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You guys just need to look a little harder and score the 6 AND 4 prong socket like I did. It fits both 1/2 and 1 ton axles. VERY SLICK! And it was only $12 bucks!

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got one of those! It makes the trail tool box just a pound or so lighter. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I bought mine off of a Mac Tools truck many years ago, but I think I paid more like $25-30. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif