Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Att. Doug Thorley TRI-Y owners.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I need too ask y'all a few questions. (1) Any problems getting at the spark plugs when it's time too change them ??? Some headers are a b*tch too work around. (2) Any problems with clearence around suspension, or cross members, even with or with out lowered T-case ??? (3) Did you run into any problems installing your Tri-Y's or exhaust, if so, please describe what. Any after thoughts you'd be willing too share ??

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

The last 3 trucks over here this week all had Thorley Tri-y's. I know because I've drooled on every one. The plugs are all easy to get at and they all fit well and missed the shackle. I've been asking a lot of questions too trying to get myself to foot for a set. They all look new too, and dont seem to 'blue' with heat.

3. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Mine fit great, and the plug access was not an issue...but seriously I've never heard anything bad about the thorleys. I have a set on my 454 and have nothing to complain about, my Dad has a set on his smallblock and they work great. My Dad had has his for about 15 years too, btw. I've got a friend with hookers on a 383, they fit alright but are rusted badly and leaking after a few years.

4. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I love mine. The 3/8" flanges rule, no real plug problems, no suspension problems, no complaints!!!! Enjoy. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I've just recently put a set on my 427BBC and everything clears great. Sparkplug access is good, clears well around the front spring hangers/shackles and quality of welds are pretty good. Only real complaint is the collector on the passenger side was welded on crooked. After bolting on the collector flange it did not point straight back like it should. Required some heating and "alignment". Overall a pretty good product. Got mine from Summitt for $372.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the only Tri Ys I have seen are designed for a Y pipe and single exhaust, maybe thats the reason for the crooked part you mention? I am gonna get a set and run single exhaust on my 95.

7. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Tri-Y's for a BBC are set up for dual exhaust on an 87 K5. The crooked collector would have made since if it was pointed in towards the other collector, but mine was pointed out about 15*. If mine had been available for a single exhaust, I might have given them a try, as my old single was 3" all the way thru a flowmaster 70. The tri Y collectors are 2 1/2", so I went 2 1/2" all the way thru 2 Flowmaster 70's.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

A kid I know used Tri Ys that are designed for single. They are SBC though. He ran dual out of it through 2.5" cats and then used some of those glasspack tips. its funny that thats a legal exhaust /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. The cats are effective at killing noise so its not bad.

9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Just had them installed, Doug Thorleys "300Y"
    Plugs are not problem but need to mod shackle on pass side as the 300Y's are for the second gen trucks..
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Z3PR, i'm not trying to hijack your post or anything, but i was wondering if there was any problem with front driveshaft clearance with the tri-Y's. especially with front axle articulation.

rick

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Good question, I'd like too know too. I want any and all information on the Tri-Y's befor I spend that much on a set of headers. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

Installed them on my truck /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif, Plugs are a pain i think (but also my first time ever having headers) so its probally just normal i have the SM465 clears all the clutch linkage no problem, pass. side shackle really close but doesn't hit at all, did turn blue but not to bad at all, but i love them no header leaks no problems at all. if you want pics let me know and ill snap a couple.

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Installed them on my truck /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif, Plugs are a pain i think (but also my first time ever having headers) so its probally just normal i have the SM465 clears all the clutch linkage no problem, pass. side shackle really close but doesn't hit at all, did turn blue but not to bad at all, but i love them no header leaks no problems at all. if you want pics let me know and ill snap a couple.

[/ QUOTE ] Always want pics. It helps too see everything. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

There great headers!! No leaks, fit great, look good, sound good, well worth it. Plugs are not an issue. I had to bend the z bar a little, as explained in the directions. I have dropped shackles so theres no bolt to rub on the flange, before, with stock shackles it was close. I dont have any front driveshaft clearance problems, but my driveshafts a good distance away from the headers.

15. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

The headers were beautiful and they even fit. If I had not wanted to offroad my truck. These are my personal problems, obvously all of our configurations are different. I don't have a body lift which would give you more free space to fit equipment.
    I returned my Doug Thorley Tri-Y's after I looked at all the problems I was going to have if I used them. I picked the 304's for my '92 454 engine swap.

The problems were first that the drivers side drooped about 2" below the shackle, and about 1" before, about 3" in.

This was worstened when my 2" rotated doubler blocked the passanger side, without routing the exhaust under my 4x4iron skid/crossmember, or running the exaust outside the frame somewhere, or doing a full U-turn to go forward, to go across!!!

I took them off and found high flow stock '68 Camaro manifolds. I had them cross the pipe just under the dust cover to the torque converter. As long as the front driveshaft doesn't hit it, it'll be fine. If it does I'll lift it more! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status