Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Att. fender hackers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Has anyone trimmed thier fenders with a Dremmel using a cut off wheel ??? I've got some rusty virgin sheet metal to deal with, so I'm thinking, just trim them to make room for the larger tires.

2. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

No, but I use my dremel (grinder bit) to smooth out the rough edges caused by my sawzall. Works great for that!

3. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

im prety sure that will wear down too fast. it would probally take a long time too. when i did mine i forgot to clean off the fillings and now my white blazer has brown spots on it.

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Last time I trimmed I used a jig saw or saber saw. I have access to a air one that works kinda like a turkey carver. Works pretty slick. really narrow blade so it makes easy turns and moves fast enough that you don't have to keep the guide against the metal. Just like taking a pocket knife and cutting.

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I used a cut off wheel on my craftmen rotory tool (same thing) to cut a 2.5" whole in a piece of thin metal and it took several wheels and 20 minutes. I couldn't imagin trying to trim the fenders with one (the metal is alot thicker). I used a sawzall and it still took half hour, then another 30 minutes with a flap wheel ont he grinder to smooth out the rough spots. Using a Dremmel sounds like a weekend project. How much are you trimming?

I would look at one of the spiral bits for sheet metal and go from there. I didn't have much luck with the one I tried to cut the radio hole out with though. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Never trimmed fenders befor. Sounds like a sawzall might be the better choice, and then the Dremmel to smooth things out.

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

it'll burn out. spring for the right tools.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I want to get one of those air saws, you know like a sawzall powered by air, Looks like it will be better for lots of cutting, I believe thats what Zakk used on his rig if I remember right.

9. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I want to get one of those air saws, you know like a sawzall powered by air, Looks like it will be better for lots of cutting, I believe thats what Zakk used on his rig if I remember right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used the air saw on my rig, just trim the blade down to stick out about a 1/4" and your ready to hack.
    [​IMG]

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

man i love seeing pics of that truck its so sweet! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I can't wait to get to see it in person, then again I can't wait to see any bodies rig in one piece, getting used to just having a frame on jackstands.

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I used a 4.5" grinder with a "Zip-cut" disc (1/16" thick). To smooth the sharpies out I used a flap wheel disc on the same grinder. The cuts turned out real smooth and it didn't tear up the edges at all.

Rene

13. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

I used a larger version of a dremil in the form of a die grinder. I felt like i had more control, but i did use a hand full of blades and it tried to burn the paint so i ran the garden hose over it to keep the paint cool. but boy did i get wet.

14. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I used the Dremel to clean up after my angle grinder. I went through almost a whole container of those little disks. Sawzall or body saw has gotta be the best way to go... (or air nibbler if you can afford one!)

15. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Die grinder with a cut-off wheel is what I used, dremel might be good for cutting fenders on a Hotwheels blazer but definitely undersize and underpowered for real fullsize vehicle.

16. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Yunit, were you the one that posted that pic (or a link to it) with a drawing showing the measurements detailing how you cut your fenders?
    If so I'd like see it again, if you don't mind....

17. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you use a saw-all...
    PRACTICE first... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    It cuts so well...its easy to get out of control.. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

18. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

19. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

dude .....ALL HAIL THE ALMIGHTY SAWZALL.....
    Hacking fenders is easy..just get some masking tape to out line the cuts, and let it rip...Beware...Because if not careful it will get out of hand quickly, and look like chit..
    Take your time.....

ALL HAIL THE ALMIGHTY SAWZALL
    TWISTING DRIVESHAFTS SINCE '00

20. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Die grinder, air shears, or best of all PLASMA CUTTER.
    Just finshing mine. all that left is some grinder work. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif