Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Att: Firefighters

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by txfiremank5, Nov 23, 2005.

1. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I wanted to pass along this info. If you can help in any way, that would be great. Art is collecting FD patches to make a quilt for Matt, and if all you can do is send a patch, please do so.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Some of you have undoubtedly seen this posted at Firehouse.com, but...
    I am calling upon my many friends here to show their support for one of my firefighters.
    Matt Olson has been diagnosed with Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis. With this type of MS, there are no periods of remission. It is also characterized by gradual progression. There may be periods of leveling off of disease activity and there will be good/bad days. This type also attacks the spinal cord but will migrate to the brain.
    Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis affects 10 to 15 percent of all MS patients.
    I was chief of department when Matt got on. He came to us from another department, so I asked that chief about Matt. He told me that Matt was a real “cowboy” and to keep an eye on him.
    Well, I kept an eye on Matt and what I saw was someone totally committed to our cause, someone who would hump hose, overhaul and clean up when we got back into quarters. He helped out at every fundraiser that we held. He made all of the meetings and was in the top ten for training hours every year.
    We took a couple of road trips together and if you didn’t know how to take him, you might think that he was opinionated. He was one of our work horses.
    That’s why it is so emotional for me to see how this disease is taking that away from him. His motor skills are rapidly disappearing. He needs to steady himself against something when he stands, his gait is very slow and stiff and it is going to worsen.
    I know that it is killing him that he can’t be more active, but he is going to remain with us, because the support is what he needs.
    In February, 2006, we will stage a benefit for Matt; not so much to raise money, though he will need it, but more to let him know that we love him, support him and will be with him always. He loves being a firefighter and in my mind, he always will be.
    What I am asking you to do is to send me your words of encouragement and hope, so I can pass them to Matt. It would mean a lot to us.
    And if you’re interested in helping in any other way, you can let me know that, too.
    You can email me at email .
    Thank you.
    ChiefReason aka Art Goodrich
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Art is also asking for FD patches, contact him via the email above to see where to send the patches. Art will have a quilt made for Matt with all of the patches, to help encourage him, and to remind him of the support he has from his brother & sister FF's.

Again, if all you can do is send a patch, that would be awsome. I know Art is really lloking forward to surpising Matt with the quilt.

2. txfiremank5

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

4. txfiremank5

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I'm not a fireman, but do have friends that are on the Phoenix department. Do you know if they have any patches from here?

6. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

I can send you a CDF patch and a Riverside County Fire Dept patches if you give me an address. Soonest I can send it will be Wednesday or so when I get off shift.

7. txfiremank5

I don't know for sure, but would doubt it. I don't know the guy personally .. just passing on the info. He lives somewhere in Ill. But I'm sure he would be happy to get the patches. If you click the email and ask where to send the patch, Art will send you his addy.

Thanks a bunch, I know Art really wants to get this patch quilt made for him. :waytogo:

8. txfiremank5

Just click the email link, and ask where to send them. It's Art's email, and that's where to patches are going so he can get the quilt made for matt. Thanks a bunch bro. :thumb:

9. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'll see what I can round up.

10. txfiremank5

Awsome... muchos grassy-ass :wink1: :waytogo:

11. txfiremank5

One more TTT for good measure. :thumb: