Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Attaching KC Lights?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nau81blazer, Feb 2, 2005.

1. nau81blazer

nau81blazer 1/2 ton status

Hello all,

Has anyone ever attached KC lights to the A-Pillars of your trucks. I see this set up alot on *eeps, but never on a Full size. Is sheet metal enough to hold it or would some sort of bracket need to be fabbed to hold it better? Let me know what you think. Thanks,

--Adam

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I plan on bolting a pice of contorted angle steel to the fender and then bolting the light to that. Shouldn't be too hard. If you want to get fancy you can box it in and shine it up to be pretty.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

When mounted in that position, they create so much glare off of the hood that you can hardly see where you're going. :( They're much more effective mounted up in the bumper/grille area.

4. nau81blazer

I was thinking of having them along with some on the front. More for pointing towards the ground on either side. Thanks for the suggestion though.

--Adam

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Far be it from me to tell you where to mount your lights, but I think the biggest reasons that you don't see lights mounted to the a pillar of old Chevys is that it's not practical. We're usually so wide and tall, they'd get knocked off easy. Plus, though it can be done, it's not the easiest route. Most of the Apillar area is covered by the door anyway. I would suggest either a light bar or mount them on the bumper or grille area. I attached an old picture of my truck, but I still have the 6" 100Watt lights where you see them now. The location was a breeze to wire, they are protected by the grill, and you don't get glare off the hood or anything.

Beast Waco locker.jpg

6. nau81blazer

Good points on the placement. Thanks for the input!

--Adam

7. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I run lights in the location you're talking about on my DD which sees light wheeling from time to time. As long as you don't knock off your mirrors you're not going to knock off the lights. They're mounted to a piece of contorted flat stock which I cut a slot for in the wiper cowl. Not hard to do, two bends with a torch and a little grinding. Do they glare at night....yes, but they're 100 watt long range daylighters so any visibility lost to glare is made up for in sheer intensity down the road.