Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Attack of the 1 ton

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Yukon Jack, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

So I'm at a driveshaft shop about a week and a half ago getting the rear driveshaft modified from my 70 K5 that is receiving a 14 bolt rear axle. A guy comes strolling in with a driveshaft and we start talking trucks. He is getting a rear driveshaft modified for an 82 1 ton standard cab 4x4 that he has been working on.

Of course that sparks my attention, I think he sees me start drooling - but I try to hide it. We talk a bit more and I mention to him that my 69 K20 is right outside and we immediately get talking trucks. I let him know that he has the holy grail in my book, a standard cab 1 ton 4x4. Don't see many of those around here these days.

Then he does it . . . he mentions he has an 84 1 ton crew cab 4x4 that he got for the 454 . . . he has someone interested in it but after we get done talking for 10 minutes he takes my name and says he just might call me and offer me a package deal on it. It has an NP205 and SM465 and dually presumably Dana 70 rear axle and the all important DANA 60 front axle.
    That evening, low and behold, I get a call from this guy offering me the whole truck for what one usually buys the front axle for. Tempting, very tempting. My mind starts go through the ole' should I routine. Pros - DANA 60, can sell off the rest and recoup some money, Cons - still working on the 70 K5 and truck funds aren't at an all time high right now. I let him know I will call him in a day or two.

I call back the next day and ask him to find out the gear ratio - he calls back later - it is 4.56 - exactly what I need for my 69 K20!!!! I tell him, let me consider a little bit longer.

Few days later I'm the new owner of the 84 and he will even deliver it.
    So, in a bit - after I get the K5 going, the K20 is gonna receive the Dana 60 - can't beat that - will now have disk brakes, get rid of the lousy closed knuckle turning radius from the existing Dana 44.

I'm pretty excited - been on the look out for a Dana 60 for quite some time - wouldn't you know it, one finally falls in my lap.

Speaking of falling in my lap, about the post subject "Attack of the 1 ton" . . .

The owner comes over Saturday with the crew cab on his gooseneck trailer. I'm sure you all that know me are aready figuring this one out . . .
    We get a comealong hooked to the front axle and start the slow process of unloading the vary long and very heavy crew cab of the trailer. Finally get the rear tires on the ground and the owner says, I bet we can push it off now and it will not roll very far since your barn is kind of on a little incline.

Gee, sounds reasonable to me. I go unhook the comealong, he gets in to steer and go for a ride . . . oh, did I mention the truck doesn't have the brake pedal installed . . . so no brakes?

I throw a hay bale behind the path of the truck, maybe 10 feet from the rear tires and there happens to be a cinder block in that same location. Owner jumps in the truck, I go to the front of the truck and give it a little push . . . hmmm, sure is gaining alot of speed I think as I run to the rear of the truck that is approaching my barn at a speed that shows that, well, maybe there is not that much of an incline in the area of the barn after all.

You know how you know something isn't wise but your body doesn't connect? Well, I get the rear of the crew cab and start to slow it down. It hits the cinder block with the rear duallies and then hits the hay bale and actually is slowing down . . . but approaching the building rather faster than I would like. I've got my right hand on the rear of the truck, and pretty soon I hit the building and well, between the building and me, we stop that truck.
    I immediatly thinks, ****, that wasn't very smart. But hey, I can move my arm, it doesn't even hurt. Hmmm, elbow is a little skinned up, palm of my hand hurts slightly, but guess I got lucky.

We proceed to agree that that wasn't too smart and then push the truck into the barn. We exchange money, I drool over the truck for a bit and then screw around with the 14 bolt for about 30 minutes and start to think, ya know, maybe I ought to put some ice on my elbow, just to be on the safe side. Head inside, grab a beer and an ice pack and go settle in front of the tv. 3 hours later, after eating dinner, a say to my wife, wanna see my elbow, I walk over to the mirror and that is when I notice that something is up . . . my elbow has a huge sack of fluid or something or other and is major squishy :whistle: First words out of my mouth were, guess I'm heading for the ER. Get there at 7:30 and head home at 10:30 - nothing broken, looks like a ruptured bursa though. Still pretty dang swollen, but not painful and feel like I could wrench, at least light duty wrenching.

I'll have to post some pics of the 1 ton on Monday, can't get them downloaded at home and maybe I will even get a shot of my elbow - it is lovely. Really grosses out my wife.

Note to self - when unloading a truck off of a trailer, use the come along until it is sitting on all four tires on the ground!

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

DOH!!!!! :doah:

I guess the old saying "No pain, no gain" applies to truck deliveries now, eh? :rotfl: :rotfl:

Yeah, make sure to post up some pics. I'd like to see what kind of shape your new CC is in. Are you gonna be parting it out after you grab what you want from it?

3. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

so you never gave us a real number on price, gotta see how bad you got the guy for...

4. Yukon Jack

Got the whole truck for $1k and already have the tranny and transfer case sold to a buddy for $225. He has a SRW Dana 60 and needs dually hubs so we will swap them out and have what each of us needs. It was already minus it's 454 when I bought it, but other than that, it is in pretty good shape. The front clip sheet metal doesn't match the rest of the truck and the rocker panels are a bit rusty, but overall, it isn't in bad shape. Definitely seen worse. After I get the parts I need, I would prefer to just sell the remainder as a unit, I don't have time to do much parting out - too many other projects going on. It does have hydroboost - will have to decide if I want to keep it as a backup to the hydrboost I put on the 69.

5. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

Parts wanted? Take it to PMs, please.

CanmoreK5

6. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

man, i've been watching ebay for a 4x4 3+3 cc for about a year now, and can't find one that i think is worth what they are asking or its just too rough to restore/simple mods and do what i want. i want a '90-'91 3+3 k3500

7. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

8. Yukon Jack

Me and trailers don't seem to go to well together. Last truck I was unloading was a 78 3/4 ton, the come along hook came off of the chain attached to the truck and it went rolling off the trailer . . . :(

Okay, here are a few pics of the crew cab

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heck, even has good tires on it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  9. Yukon Jack

Oh, the arm. Well, pics don't show the bruising too well. Swelling is down considerably from Saturday evening. I would say the swelling is down by probably 2/3 when I took these pics. Not really sore, just stiff now from the swelling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most have broken some blood vessels

[​IMG]

Even swelled up the forearm

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  10. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Ouch Mark!! You need to be more careful man!!:doah: :haha: Glad it wasn't too serious. I would probably do the same thing to save the barn.:doah:

Nice score on the CC and the D60!!:bow: :bow: :bow:

11. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

Nice bedsides too!!! wink wink
    I sure could use some!:wink1: