Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Attacked by a Horse Today

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cricket, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Well my truck project slush fund side job got interesting today.

Out washing a big horse tied to a big 8x8 post/fencing. In the middle of washing off the soap suds she got spooked. I made the mistake of roping her instead of using the halter, all the halters were locked up. When she kicked & pulled the rope cinched up tighter each time. Horse goes into survival mode kicking, thrashing, bucking, and ends up wrapping the rope around her throat. The only way to get the rope off now is to get in close and cut it at the neck. So I move in to cut it and she rears up and gives me both hooves catching my hand with a direct strike. I go down on my back and look up in time to see the second strike coming, lucky for me she ran out of rope and jerked herself off to the side. That gives me time to roll under the fence to the opposite side. I get up and back way off trying to let her calm down. By now she is struggling to breathe and stops, dropping her head. I figure I have less than a minute to get that rope cut before I'm explaining why I killed a horse. So I move in again slowly, get right up on her and up she rears up to hit me with a 3rd strike. This time her front legs get hung up over the fence and she's stuck. That was my lucky break - jumped up on the portion of fence that wasn't broken by now and cut the lead at her jawline. Boom - off she runs across the field back the the coral. This is what I got for not thinking today.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

3. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Uhh yeah incase you're still wondering, horses can be dangerous...:eek1:

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Damn , your lucky in a way, id be counting my blessings you diddnt get hit in the head! Damn lucky bro! I hope that goose egg heals soon for you my freind, are you gonna be able to work at all?

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Couple of years ago, I spent 5 hours trying to subdue a mule to give shots to. FINALLY got a rope on him and snubbed him to a post. That was the easy part. Trying to calm him down enough to give the shots was another story. I finally gave up and let him loose. As soon as I tossed the rope on the other side of the corral, he walked right up to me. I gave him a cigar to chew on, walked to his flank, stuck the needle in, and ducked. That damn mule never even flinched! He just don't like ropes!!!

7. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You're lucky dude! I used to help a friend with his horses, and my Sister's daughter showed hers untill it was hit by lightning..................came mighty close several times to getting kicked, stomped, crushed, thrown, bit. I love 'em but don't want one after having worked with 'em.

Glad it wasn't worse..........ouch!

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Yep, got my x-rays. Nothing broken.

They call it a compression injury which is somewhere between a break and a severe deep tissue bruise. Right now it's swollen over in a big oval and stiff. A day or two I think I'll be right as rains.

The funny part was that the wife of the owner just happened to look out the back window when I was on my back and the horse was coming down a second time. Apparently she turned her head away thinking I took a full stomp. :haha:

Pretty funny in a spooky sort of way.

Your right about that. I knew this horse was jittery but today was 70 degrees over here and my only opportunity to get it done before another cool down. I shouldn't have roped her but you know how it can be when your on a timeline.

9. dontoe

Scarey!!!!
    :doah:

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That looks nasty, but you're lucky it wasn't worse!! :eek1:

I got clipped in the mouth when i was about 6. Was riding one horse and got a little too close to a second horse that had a major dislike for the one i was on. The cranky one started kicking and I got it in the mouth, not the full force though (or I'd prolly be dead) but it was enough to loosen a few teeth and knock me off the horse i was on... :doah:

Rene

11. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Haaaaa ha ha:haha:

Hey ill bet it felt like an hour long deal right? :haha:

12. dontoe

Good friend was on a mare and a stallion decided to mount the mare, while John was still in the saddle...............he wasn't impressed. :haha: :haha: :haha:

13. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

:haha: :rotfl: :rotfl: I think I'll stick with a busted hand.

14. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

BAAAhahah you crazy old grouchy hoot you :D :haha: thats my new sig line, in fact,sorry fumes.:haha:

15. dontoe

I ain't to "grouchy" to mount you 'ol friend!!! :eek1:

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

16. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

HOLY CRAP!!!! Another CK5er with a bum hand.:yikes:

I hate to break it you, James, but I have a feeling it'll be more than a "couple of days" until you're feeling 100%. That sucks, but I guess it could have been a lot worse. Friggin' horses........:mad:

17. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Maybe Bluebeard needs to give you some horse handling tips. You know he and Mom are old ranch hands.

Hope your hand heals up soon. Sounds like you need to get away and ride shotgun on a good wheelin' trip. :wink1:

18. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

That's just great, I'll never hear the end of it now.:doah: :rolleyes:

19. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Off to glue factory I say! Horses are fickle (betcha fackers didn't think I knew that word, didja?:haha: ) creatures, and should be treated with the utmost caution and respect. Glad to see you weren't more injured. They are very powerful animals.

John

20. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I haven't been stomped or kicked (yet, knock on wood) but I have been bit. Was puttin wraps on my sisters horse once when the mare decided she didn't like the looks of me. Thankfully I had used an old lead rope as it just broke when she reared and she just turned tail out to the turn outs. She sure didn't want to head back after that. Stubborn little b!tch!