Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

attention all sammy owners!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SUPERSUB87, Oct 30, 2006.

1. SUPERSUB87

SUPERSUB87 1/2 ton status

ok i need some help... there is a hardtop sammi for sale in my area... first of all... how are they on trails... second. how about a dd... third.. hows the gas mileage. ive always wanted these lil things. so i need some advice on whether to buy it or not... it is in really good condition cosmetically... i dont care how the engine runs... because knowing me a 350 is bound to make its way in it sooner or later. i think it has 31's on it.
    idk the price yet. but i will find out as soon as possible. how much would yall pay max for one of these little toys.:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

they have like 50 hp and get like 30 mpg but are very light and can be made into sick wheelers

the value depends on what year it is, i wouldnt pay more then a couple grand unless it was one of those rare long wheelbase ones

3. SUPERSUB87

nope. not a long wheelbase.. i was actually thinking of doing a trade.

4. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

my bud is building one. I built the rear cage for it. will be doing the front part soon. we just rebuilt the transfer case with a kit from cal-mini that lowers the gear ratio in it. it is good for 32 in tall tires. he just put 30-9.50 15 BFG MT/s on black rock krawler wheels. the thing is crazy low with the new gears. also put a 3 in cal-mini shackle reverse in it too. thing looks really cool.

he's kinda wishing he went with a spring over and a 1 in shackle flip instead. if he does the spring over now he's thinking it will be too tall. I would do a spring over for sure.

I kinda want one of those things now also. damn it, I have enough project to deal with. but if the right one came along........

he only paid 1100 bucks for his and now has about 2800 to 3000 in it. needs to lock it up and upgrade the steering and its good to go. there cheap to build.

5. SUPERSUB87

yeah... but the problem is im in the middle of building up my burb... ive already put about 4,000 in it in the past year... and im in high school... so ive been working my ass offf. and i havent had enough time to get it all put together... i have alot of plans for this truck... but that damn sammi is calling me. Ive wanted one for so long... and now that i have a huge burb i like the idea of something small and easy to get around it. But... i cant get rid of my burb.. i love that thing... i mean what more could you ask for... seats nine. with room for cargo. and its not as bad as a damn excursion... idk.. im kinda iffy.

6. rdn2blazer

check this thread out, it is my buds with the rear cage I did for him.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180326

oh, and this is his DD too. he has a 02' F350 CC SRW LB 4X4 with the V10 for his family tow rig. just not practicle to drive to work everyday. a good motor swap is to put an Izusu 1.3 litre in the zuk. I herd you can gain an extra 60 hp from this swap, maybe more not sure.

7. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I have a bone stock Sammi that I bought from my neighbor for $500. I friggin love it. I bought it so I could get around the ranch I hunt, and I am extremely impressed with it's ability. I take it on some nasty ass skid roads and old logging trails, and she hasn't failed me yet. I'd pick up another if I could find one in the $700-$1000 range. Mine is a soft top, which I really like. The only mod I've really done is make the doors removable. It kicks ass.

8. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

NO SMALLBLOCKSAMI!!!!

ROTARY!!! or a .80 over sidekick engine with a header and ported intake... calmini superlow, welded, spring over with zbrackets or a shackle flip and 1" hangers, 33" swampers, GO ANYWHERE, FLOAT

9. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

samis are pretty cool. i always hear about dudes pickin em up for around $500. pretty darn wheelable in stock form. super easy to recover too.

10. rdn2blazer

I just checked on line, its actually a Izusu 1.6L sidekick motor that pretty much bolts right in and is a good hp gain.

11. SUPERSUB87

Sweet cage... i love the arch on it. oh and Confedneck79K30 why not build a smallblocksami<---- it would be friggin sweet! just think of all that power in that tiny wheeler.(with great power, comes great responsibility :D ) and if it is under 900 im pickin it up. if not then forget about it. i just thought it would be cool since i have a 350 and some 33x12.50's lying around. this would be something i could beat the crap out of then pull it out with me burb:D :D :D.

12. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

350's heavy, you'd need super extreme duty lift springs to keep the front end up, and imagine the endo's on hard braking lol...

13. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

i know of a couple i wheel with. unless geared right, stock 55mph is as high as you will go.

lots of potential and can go anywhere.

The sami's i know of, they are putting 1/2ton blazer axles under. Thats like rockwells on a blazer!

14. SUPERSUB87

true. ive been doing research on these before i even thought about getting a burb... the springs that are best to use for heavy equipment is out of a yj i believe. endos are fun... really fun. idk.. maybe im just dreaming. but if i come up with the money i will pursue my sammi dreams.

15. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You laugh. That was honestly a problem when they first came out!

To answer your question, SUPERSUB87, Samurai's are great wheeling vehicles. The body style in question is all up to the owner's preferences.

Actually, let me question you on the body style. Is it an actual removeable hard-top, or is it what is referred to as a "tin-top" (all metal roof)?

For wheeling purposes, the "tin-top" is slightly heavier, is more top-heavy on the trails, and will probably not net as many MPG's as say a soft-top or hard-top model.

Underneath, they're all basically the same, save for some minor changes and the addition of fuel injection in the later years.

For a beatup Zuk, I wouldn't pay more than $500. For a "showroom quality" Zuk, no more than $3000 (depending on options).

16. SUPERSUB87

its a removable hard top.

17. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

Before I bought my K5, I was looking at sammys, but I am a big guy and I don't like cramming into a small truck. Besides, no replacement for displacemnt.

18. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

yeah they are small inside, but still more room for big guys than the jeeps. odd.

and the carbed ones do great at all the crazy angles. pretty cool.

19. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I'm 6'4" and have no prob getting in and out of the Sammi with the seat all the way back.

20. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

I've got a 87 tin top thats all original with alittle over 80,000 original miles on it . My wife's Grandfather bought it new so it's been babied all it's life . They suck for a long road trip for people like me with long legs . I have to get out and stretch out . They have a pretty bumpy ride and are kinda gutless and I did drive it for a DD for a few weeks :doah: . Not something I would want to drive all the time . I did take it up to goat mountain a few time and it's so small it actually fit on the quad trails :haha: . I think if I was gonna build one for wheeling I would do a spring over lift and and only run 31" tires . Do some crawler gears in the t-case and and gears in the diff's and call it good . I guess the 88 and up efi rigs had issues with their computers . Mines carbed and it does ok . I would keep it a 4 banger because of fuel cost's . I have a buddy who's got a soft top 88 sammy with toyota axles and 36" Iroks on it and it's always flopping over on it's side and he's rolled it to many times to count . I walk over stuff in my burb and he can't follow me without ending up on his side :haha: . I have been thinking of putting some sammy axles under my 84 toyota 4x4 wagon :D .