Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*attention* AZBLAZER

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by POWERMAD, Jul 7, 2001.

1. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Hey Doug
    I talked to you on the phone a couple of months ago about the Chalets.
    I finaly got the pop-up camper for mine out of storage and cleaned up.
    Anyway it took six of us and alot of grunting and cussing to get it on the K5.
    We just about ruined the cabinets trying to lift it over the wheeel wells. Even with no lift and just 33" tires it was not easy.
    I want to get the camper back off and I want to know how you get yours on and off.
    After putting it on the way we did I realy don't feel like doing that again. Not only did it damage the cabinets but everyones back was out of whack.
    And I don't think there is enough beer in the world to con anyone into that again. LOL
    Thanx
    Ron

my truck's not dirty, it's earth tone paint

2. FWP

FWP CRS

I'm pretty he sure he leaves it on the K5. He'll be on the board soon. I'll let him know you were askin next time I talk to him.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://fwp4x4.rockcrawler.com>http://fwp4x4.rockcrawler.com</A>

3. Haulgas

Haulgas 1/2 ton status

Yes he leaves it on it's not ment to come off because of the problem 's you had . I will tell him your looking for him also.

87 blazer :)

4. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Didn't see the post till this wee hour as puter time has benn cut way back....with our hot season in full swing i'm pretty much booked every weekend doin a/c side work...keeps me hopin...lol. But since most of us Az CK5 members keep in touch on a regular basis...lol...FWP called me last night and gave me the heads up and so did Haulgas..lol.

An original Chalet camper was never desinged for removal...the can be removed but are one hell of a back breaking experience as you found out. When i got my first camper it took two of us laying on our backs and using our legs fro the grunt force to get the back end high enough to install a long piece of pvc pipe under the camper...which then was easy enough to push off the K5 and onto a trailer that was even height with the back of the K5....when i sold her to my web site partner Aaron...we opted for the forklift to get it in the back of a uhaul so it could make the trip back to NoCal. The fiberglass camper is flimsy so leaving it on is the wise choice...plus mine being original issue....is titled as a MHB (Motorhome) so the insurance is only $500 a year for full coverage!!! They just don't realize i drive it to work everyday...lol. My best advise is to put her on and leave her in place. But if you need further info there is a lady named Judy with a 76 original unit in Or...who just finished a complete tear down resto of hers..i'll dig up her email addy and send it your way. Whats the serial number of your camper and build date?

Azblazer

1979 K5 350 TBI
    1976 K5 Chalet
    If it ain't got arizona pinstriping.....you ain't wheelin the pee outa her!

5. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Doug
    This isn't a Chalet top.
    It is a pop-up camper made by Fiber-Kraft in Denver Co.
    This unit bolts to the top of the bed rails like the hard top.
    It was made and put on the K5 in 78. I have all of the original paperwork but it is all pretty beat up.
    If iI remember right the guy paid $2200 for it.
    The one RV place that I went to had jacks but they had to be bolted to the camper.
    And I do not want to do that. As soon as I get some pix I'll send them your way and ya can see what this critter looks like.
    Thanx for your time .
    Ron

my truck's not dirty, it's earth tone paint