Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATTENTION: DIESEL OWNERS!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevy4x4, Jul 14, 2000.

1. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Ok, I am planning to get a diesel blazer cause I can't afford the gas. I plan to run 38s so I would get around 5m/g with a gas engine. Everyone who I talked to said that the early diesels are junk. Is this true?
    I know acceleration and speed arn't the strenghs of the diesel but it doesn't bother me that much. So is it true that 6.2l diesels are junk??
    Thx

<font color=red>Chevy4x4<font color=red>[​IMG]
    http://fourbyfour.coloradok5.com

2. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

junk? Why, because the people telling you don't have one? With a 6.2 you can go 4 or 5 hundred thousand miles without a rebuild (If taken care of), then after a half a million miles put in new bearings and rings (bore if neccesary), and go for another half a million miles. you can drive though a lake totally submerging the whole engine,(truck if you want),as long as the intake and exhaust don't get submerged. Pull anything you want, ANYTHING. Remember these 6.2s were put in tow trucks for years. And I get 20 miles to the gallon with mine. You can also idle it for a week straight with no damage to the engine(use the best oil you can find). no fouling of plugs. on the down side, they are loud and they smell.....so what its a truck. And the two best aspects are NO EMISSIONS BULLS*** and you can run home heating fuel for half the cost of regular fuel, MAke sure if you put a diesel in your truck you gear it properly, it will be slower than a school bus if you don't, As long as you have compression and fuel it will run. diesel it you won't regret it.

3. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    FYI, alot of states/counties that do emmisions for gasoline, also do emmisions for desiel(Opacity).

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Probablly the folks that are telling you they are junk are right. But they aren't talking about the 6.2 or the 6.5. Both are good motors. They are probabbly thinking of the old converted small blocks. These were almost half-assed and really are junk. If you're curious about more info on the 6.2 OR the 6.5 got to http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/
    This site has got TONS of info on these motors

Kyle
    89K5

5. JimmyDie6.2

really? What states and counties? California? A place when talking about the subject of emmisions automatically gets exempted from the conversation because of their marxist regulations. What do counties actually test for, this is very interesting??

6. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

did the 82-87 blazer have good 6.2s?
    I have been to the diesel page but you have to pay a monthly or yearly fee to go to the message board i think.

7. JimmyDie6.2

there are two versions, one is a C motor, the other is a J. The former is a light duty, the later heavy duty. I have the C, its fine. just check it out before you buy it. and make sure you get all the components. like converter, TV cable for the 700. All the 6.2s are basically the same.

8. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

9. Cua757

Cua757 Registered Member

I just bought an '86 Jimmy with a Turboed 6.2 (ATS Turbo installed at 15000 K There is 134000 on the truck right now) The truck still runs strong with 3.73 gears and does not smoke at all. The only maintenance I have to do before I drive it seriously is change the injector and the timing chain (pump replaced 20000 K ago) but even if I didn't, I'm sure that it would run well for another 100 000 K. -Good mileage, Decent power, reliability, and durability. Who gives a rats ass if it makes a little noise... IT'S A TRUCK!

Ever Been Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinkin' Stuck?

10. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status

Somebody doesn't know what they are talking about !!!! I love the 6.2's . I've got 180,000 miles on mine and it has performed excellently .It always goes for me . You are right no power but very reliable . Mine is an 83 and I haven't heard of any bad years .

11. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Ditto to these comments. Most people dont' know a 6.5/6.2 from a 5.7/4.3 diesel. I have 300,000 on my '83 and I am rebiulding it...not that I had to...but it did have a cracked head (repairable, contrary to popular, uninformed opinion) I am also building a 6.5 for the Blazer. It will have gears instead of timing chain, DB2 pump, Banks turbo and other enhancements. Most 94&up problems are due to the DS4 pump. Once properly corrected it is good.
    There is a list serve too besides the pay webzine: go to http://www.dalwan.net/mailman/listinfo/diesel I subscribe to the pay website and it is cheap and worth it. BTW, the military HumVee uses the 6.5 engine. That should tell you something....

SteveB

12. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Also, the differences between the 6.5 and 6.2 block are minimal. Heads interchange as well as most accessories. The 6.5 went to a one pc rear main seal '93 & has updated rocker arms and a factory turbo. The Banks turbo was a dealer installed factory option until early '93. Combustion chambers can be popped out from the head, and come in economy and power versions. Parts are less expensive than Dodge and Ford. Parts available MIL surplus too. The '93 DB24911 pump was best for power.
    You can build it Vbelt or serpentine. Many options. Same weight, mounts and bellhousing as a big block. When properly balanced they can rev to nearly 4000 with a modified pump. Peak efficiency & torque is at 1800 RPM.
    If you hot rod it, look for 300 HP and 400++ FT LBS @ low RPM.

SteveB

13. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

This is what I look at every night before sleep.

6.2L DIESEL
    For Chevy/GMC pickups, Suburbans, Blazers and Jimmys, choose between two power-makers -- Banks SIDEWINDER turbo or STINGER intake/exhaust system. Sidewinder rouses up to +60 hp and +115 lb-ft torque. Sport Truck's road-test of a Sidewinder turbo'd Suburban yielded 37% quicker acceleration and 19% better fuel economy. Petersen's 4-Wheel & Off Road called Sidewinder performance "diesel dynamite," and went on to explain: "The low-end grunt is retained, but suddenly there is real sweet-spot guts for taking on onramps, passing, cruising or trailering up a mountain." Banks budget-friendly Stinger adds gains up to +32 hp and 6% mileage. Systems include pyrometer. Also available for 6.2L engines: Banks engine-oil and transmission cooler systems.
    [​IMG]

<font color=blue>Espen88k5 at:http://www.espen.coloradok5.com</font color=blue>

14. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Espen, how much does the Banks Sidewinder turbo cost and where is it available? Some question again but replace the words Banks Sidewinder turbo with the word Stinger.

15. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

The Stinger is basicly oppening upp for more air inn. Allowing you to turn upp the pressure on the diesel-pump, and then letting it out through a more open exhaust..Gains you 15-20 HP. Downside is more heat and you could damage your glowplugs. This is what I know so far. Here's the link to the plaze that has them.
    http://www.getpower.com/GBchevygm.html

<font color=blue>Espen88k5 at:http://www.espen.coloradok5.com</font color=blue>

16. mike race

mike race 1/2 ton status

that looks awesome. I want one. still working on mine. someday i'll have it done. Diesels are great as long as you don't get them wet.

fix'n finally

17. JimmyDie6.2

mike you can run a diesel at the bottom of an ocean. So you CAN get them wet. All you have to do is keep water out of the intake and exhaust like any other engine.