Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Attention Farmers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hi pinion, Feb 5, 2005.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ok, so i have some land ive decided to keep....and farm

I was just wondering what the best thing is to farm on it, to gain the maximum dollar, out of the space. What makes the most money? Theres corn out there my grandpa used to farm, but i know he used to sell hay.I also have a freind who farms rice he sells to Anheiser Busch

How does this work? It is in So Cal

Also, why do i see some people farming different things, if one makes the most money?

Lets hear about farming......

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i didnt know cali had good enough soil to grow anything like that with, humm

problme with soybeans and corn and such is that it takes so long to grow

what all crops grow out there ??

grapes would be a good one to get into, in the long run, takes years ot get going good i believe

tradeoffs

hmm

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Yeah we have ALOT of corn out there planted and growin tall. Mabey just stick with it? BTW planting something new would require a down season with no income???

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Oh BTW the neighbors are succesfully been growing grapes and have been for as long as i can remember....

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

a good farmer will have many fields with almost no two fields with the same crop.

ive also learnt from the local farmers that they almost never have the same crop in the same field two years in a row. each plant takes different nutrients from the soil and after a while it all gets used up and you wont have a good crop. if you rotate it year to year, its all good.

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I see ,, thats why he was changing all the time.....:)

7. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I would guess that the crop that makes the most money is cannabis. :p: Unfortunately that'll probably give the farm the most down time too.
    Honestly, I would talk to your neighbors and see what they are growing, they would know best what grows in that area. You should also consider what takes the most maintenance and what equipment you already have.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

You need to be a super duper tightass about money.

For example, I know this one farmer. Has a lot of money. Does spend it on his car collection and making sure the wife is happy. BUT; he drove around in an old beat up Dodge Cummins, think he bought it used and had it for about ten years. He also owns a Class 8 truck. Doesn't run the truck anymore. Won't run it unless he gets tires from someone. Of course as well built and fast as this truck is, he could get tires in one race, no problem; but won't run it. I went to a race one time with him and he had 5 gallons of diesel in the back. I learned that he is so tight that he refused to buy diesel while we were at this race; which was all of about 200 miles away from home, so he would only had to pay a couple of bucks to get back home.

Other examples, the farmers I've seen succeed are the ones who will drive a tractor into the ground over the longest time, refusing to buy new equipment until they absolutely have to.

:D

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

high quality small grain pays 2 times . the grain and the clean golden straw for the rich horse people to bed them down with. but some of them are switching to would shavings or shreaded news paper tho.

10. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Talk to one of your neighbors to see if they will farm it for you the first year as you learn more about farming. There's very little profit margin and the key is to be very frugal with expenses.

Good choice keeping the farm :waytogo:

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The fastest way to make money on a farm is to grow Condos or Malls.

12. k51989

k51989 Registered Member

^or subdivisions....

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That would be me. 325 acres that goes to Anheiser mostly...
    :eek: :eek: :eek: We grow the best rice on the PLANET here in the central valley, litterally, no one grows better rice than us and the rest of the guys in our area. California has great soil for all types of crops all thoughout the sate. That is why so many farmers are fighting the movement of development.

Depends, My family has been growing rice in the same area on the same exact property layout for 75 years. You can not double crop in rice like you can with corn/oats. Today's fertilizers and plant verieties are excellent and easily grow great rice without taxing the soil.

Not all farmers. Depends on what they farm and what kind of equipment that type of plant requires. We have combines because that is what is needed for rice to harvest. The combines have so many moving parts that we just spend all winter working on them getting them ready for the following year rebuilding and replacing worn out parts on them. We keep them for a long time but keep rebuilding them as we go, and try not to run them into the ground.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tractors are different. A lot of farmers update tractors on a regular basis, that is why there are always a ton of older tractors at auctions.
    [​IMG]

Jake,
    You have a couple of problems....
    1) You live over 3 hours away from your property, that makes it almost impossible to check irrigation everyday and be able to keep an eye on everything. During the summer I check water twice a day, my farthest ranch is 3/4 of a mile away, I can get anywhere around here on my ATV. That kind of convienance is important to be able to keep a good eye on everything.
    2) You don't have any equipment at all (if I gathered right). What happens to beginning farmers a lot is they need equipment to farm but they have to farm to get money....it is like chasing your tale.

3) You have 5 acres. That is not enough acreage to support equipment and actually make a profit off of it. We have 325 acres of rice and it is barely enough to support roughly 100,000 dollars worth of equipment that we have, that it TAKES to farm it and pay for $10-15K worth of repair per year on that equipment.....plus actually MAKE money off of it. We are currently trying to find more ground....we have to equipment to farm 500 acres and an extra 100 acres over are current total would really help out paying for maintence and bump up the profit numbers, on some years.

4) The main thing one has to relize in farming is that some years you just plain aren't going to make money. Farmers don't get paid once a month or every two weeks....most farmers calculate what they have COMING TO THEM after they have already, planted, irrigated, and harvested their crops. I have seen it ourselves when I was younger, get everything totaled at the end of the year and it cost x amount to grow the crop completely and the crop earned x amount, which was less than the amount it cost. DAMN! we worked all year for free, hopefully next year will be better. BUT, there are farming programs with substities that help. It took $235,000 dollars last year to plant our 325 of rice....we finished harvesting it in November and are still waiting to sell our crop and actually get the money back.

5) You do have something going for you....you own the land, we lease half of our acres and obviously we make less money on leased ground vs. the ground we own due to rent.

Bottom line Jake, I would ask what is going to happen with the 20 acre parcel and just lease out your five to someone that wants to farm it and take your lease money and run, it's not a bad deal. It would be one thing if the five acres were behind your house and you had also inherited the right, reliable equipment and said "what the hell...I"ll go for it" but it's too far away and too small of a parcel to farm yourself...but that is my opinion. ;)
    [​IMG]

14. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Thanks man,,Im opting for the lease/ rent the house out sineerio. BTW any one who might qualify in the Laton/handford Kings County area who would like to be on a real counrty setting, peace and quiet, give a hollar. :)