Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Attention Tunedportk5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, Mar 6, 2005.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I was wondering if your TPI went through with the BAR, and how everything turned out with it, please post up some results, im thinking of doing the swap very soon, thanks, Jacob:)

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

He probably won't post, I hardly ever see him online any more.

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Yeah, well that completely bites :angry1: :1zhelp: ,,,,,, because he was one of the only ones i knew of in our general vicinity, that has done the TPI swap on our year,, and ran it trough the bar etc etc, im really wanting to hear from him. Id like to see if he got everything passed ok, or if the bar is holding him and his truck in a hostage situation somewhere in a undergound jail. :rotfl: :haha: Its kind of lame when the swap is the only legal way to get your truck to run half-way decent,,, or i could do like you said earlyer on the phone and just sell the damn thing. Pretty much sucks, this has been beaten to death already,, i just want to see what happened. :confused: Its either do the swap , or drive the damn thing up the main steps of the state capitol (if it makes it) ,,park the damn thing right there and protest lol:rotfl: ... i would seriosly like to get some good gear under it, but the first thing is getting the motor going good, and that in itself is just a mindboggiling PITA!!!! Later, Jacob

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Dude, you forget Im a smog tech? What exactly do you want to know and Ill tell you the answer. Greg

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

The thing is, he has already done the deed, and its on the truck of my year, (almost) 86, and had ren it through a referee. Ill shoot you a pm!!! :) BTW sorry for the lack of response to your Ims , ive been super busy with work, and family lately. :) Lol, if it keeps up this way, my son will be grown up and out of the house and on his way to colledge ,,before i get the truck built :grin: :haha:

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Why not keep this thread public, whatever of it pertains to legality of the swaps as it relates to our trucks. CA emissions are a mystery to a lot of people, posts about how to pass emissions with "upgrades" in CA are invaluable if you ask me.

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Yeah you guys have answered the crap out of my questions already, its time to get up and actually do it now. I still like the idea of crashing through the state capitol dorrs in my k5 though lol:grin: :haha:

9. rjfguitar

I like the idea of just selling your '85 and buying an 87'-91 K5. Fuel injected with a TON more support from the aftermarket for the TBI trucks, and most of the parts are CA legal.
    I would just sell my '85 if I didn't have so much money in it, and went and bought an 89-91. I might still do that one of these days.

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Why wouldent you? Its not like you cant just un-bolt all the stuff you have on there. just keep your motor, get a cheap junkyard 305-350 to swap in it and you probally get 5000 for your truck, how much i paid for my 89

11. rjfguitar

I probably could but I couldn't use my 406 in a later K5 either so it would just lay around and it would take a lot of work to get my current K5 to smog again but I guess I could. I could swap over the whole drivetrain less the motor to a later model....it doens't matter at this point anyway because I don't have the money or time to do that right now. I am probably just going to register my K5 in Montana and just skip California Smog all together.

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

If it will pass the sniffer I dont know why you dont just put the smog crap back on? Just because its a 406 doesnt mean its not gonna pass. Whats the big deal? Unless you dont have it.

13. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Man, am I glad I do not live in the Communist Republic of California anymore. Here in Nevada we can have any aftermarket equipment we want as long as we have the minimum mandated smog equipment that is visually inspected for, and pass the tail pipe sniffer.

For instance, on my 1991 V-3500 Crew Cab all I have to have for the visual inspection is an EGR valve, restricted fuel nozzle filler, and no "Check Engine" lights on. I could have a blower on the truck, and as long as I have the aforementioned equipment, and pass the tail pipe sniffer test, the smog inspector could care less what else I have on it.

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, but if you are being tested by a sniffer, what difference does it make what emissions equipment is on the engine and whether it actually functions?

If the whole point of emissions is to make sure that vehicles aren't grossly polluting, and the government uses a set standard to measure that pollution, it shouldn't matter how you pass, should it?

I think that any visual inspection is a load of garbage. If someone can get their 10 second street car to pass the sniffer test, who is the government to say "how" they did it is wrong or right?

We're "spoiled" in this state by not having a visual, only sniffer, so its easy for me to make those comments. But I'll always believe that if you can pass the sniffer, however you do it shouldn't be an issue. If you want to run two cat converters instead of one, or fuel injection instead of carburetion, who cares, as long as it passes sniffer?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  15. rjfguitar

My biggest thing is to be actually legal I would have to put the computer controlled carberator and distributer back on and I know if I did that it probably wouldn't run right, or pass smog since that carb was running rich anyway. And yes, I have lost a few of the smog parts here and there. The main thing is, my K5 runs better than it ever has currently and i don't want to screw with that. We'll see, I might bring it over to you. ;)