Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Attica, IN.......the Orange Trail

Discussion in 'Midwest Region' started by thebigdaddyof2, Jul 10, 2002.

1. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

The lady at the office asked "Do you have a topper on the Blazer?" ....to which I replied "Yes." She then suggests that I remove it because "...we have trees here that will remove it for you!"

<font color="red"> Tight </font color>- The word tight does not do the <font color="orange"> Orange Trail </font color> justice at Attica. There was at least 6 different times that I was sure the Blazer physically would not fit, but it did.

<font color="red">Twisted</font color>- Again, this trail ranks right up there with the woods trails at Disney. At the very start of the trail, you drop off the bank into a creekbed that at times was rubbing both of the side mirrors- while they were swung into the doors. Unbelievable off camber turns, "Whoop-de-dos" across 3 to 4 parallel ditches and at least 2 places where I was forced to do a 4 to 5 point turn, on top of a ridge, teetering on 2 or 3 tires to make the downhill turn....talk about the "Pucker Factor"!!
    I had numerous ATV guys spotting and cheering me on as I sqeaked past each obstacle.

I somehow don't believe this trail is traversed by much anything other than ATVs, Zukis and Jeeps, but I drove the ENTIRE <font color="orange">Orange Trail.</font color> I had just finished up my hydraulic assisted steering mod before this run and "Man, what a difference!!" I couldn't imagine this trail without it!!

The <font color="orange">Orange Trail</font color> did take it's toll though:

Both back windows shattered, one window seal ripped out, numerous ORD poly bushings cracked/split, part of the "Super" of the Super Swamper ripped off one of my tires, chunks of tree roots forced under the tire beads, scared up wheel edge (rolled the bead again), wrinkle in the pass fender, wrinkle in the pass door (right on the damn body line), wrinkle on the front of the driver's quarter, and the worst of all....caved in the driver's quarter panel on a "go-around" of all things. The choices I had presented to me was a mud pit that swallowed up a Jeep and several ATVs OR the go-around....I chose the go-around and the quarter panel paid the price...At least I still have the tail light in tact.

Would I do it again? Absolutely! I will do just like the kind lady said to do; remove the topper first. I already have rock sliders so the next step is to add on the step/push bars to the sliders to try to avoid so much body damage...and (of course) bead locks with the new 39.5" Swampers. Pics of damage soon hopefully.
    Hope to see ya there on the next run!

2. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you had a blast! Thats the reason I'm building a trail only vehicle. LOL. That place has some intense trails, but do to the size of the trails you have to expect body damage. We'll have to hook up when the new one is done. Later

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Remind me NOT to try that trail if we go there! I can't afford to tell the wife I incurred all that damage on one trail! Yikes... I'll do anything that doesn't GARUNTEE body damage! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Dan

4. Commocozy

Commocozy 1/2 ton status

Thats GREAT stuff. God i cant wait till my Jimmy is finished next summerish :-) /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Im there!

6. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

When did you go? You dont have a green camo Blazer by chance do you?

Ken H.

7. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Hey Ken,

Todds K5 is in the August issue of Fourwheeler on page one of the Blazer Blitzkrieg article. It is charcoal colored.

You going wheeling with us sometime?

later,

Neil

8. thebigdaddyof2

About half of the Blazer (or Jimmy, or whatever) is the original Charcoal Grey color. The rest (read: rust)
    has been sprayed with "rattle can flat black".

We played at Attica over the 21st, 22nd &amp; 23rd of June...and we did have a blast! The "we" included my wheelin buddies from way back. One has a tricked out YJ, one has a tricked out Cherokee running my old 35" Swampers, one has an old Landcruiser and one has a Ramcharger- yes, Ramcharger.
    At least he likes to wheel instead of whine......

9. four_by_ken

Just finishing up everything on the Blazer. Need drivesahfts, winch and start it up!! Cant wait. Looks pretty good. Farthest south I have gone so far is Attica. Usually stick around MI, but we'll see what the future brings.

Ken H.

10. KRAZIE87K5

Pictures? Will you make the SUMMER RUN (*ahem* in Attica)? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Dan

11. KRAZIE87K5

Have you gotten pictures yet Todd??? I gotta see all this damage. Everytime I read that thread, I get the willies... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif CAN'T WAIT! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

-Dan

12. Mudzer

Yeah Todd,

Get out that camera. He could be fibbing Dan! I want to see the new skinnies on there too!

13. KRAZIE87K5

LOL! I'm hoping that he's fibbing... I don't really like the idea of bashing the hell outta my straight bodied K5... but who here can turn their back to a challenge? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Let's see the pics Todd! We want proof...
    -Dan

14. Mudzer

15. four_by_ken

Pictures are taken, but not on the computer yet. Still has the ugly side of it. All mechanical is just about done. Still need to trim and clean it up a litte. Not pretty boy wise, but just to make sure it all fits. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Ken H.

16. four_by_ken

Dont think I will make the Summer run. Probably going with my club to the upper peninsula of MI.

Ken H.

17. thebigdaddyof2

Neil, none of the pics posted there appear to be the orange trail....Not to say those aren't bada$$ trails too!
    Did you see how the black Cherokee and the Sami's get "swallowed" up in some of the holes- right in the middle of the trails? Hence the need for a go around here or there.
    On the pics, I have yet to get the "good" pics from my buddies.....hopefully taken as the damage was in progress!

I did see a piece of video of when I literally dragged the D44, the transfer skid pan, the van 14BFF and the rear receiver off a series of limestone ledges into a creekbed. He got a closeup of the 14BFF "weighing the anchor" as it dragged down the hill.

18. NoShow84

NoShow84 Registered Member

i went to attica on memorial weekend we to did the orange trial it was me in my 84 and 5 jeeps so i had to make sure and fit in all areas because you don't want the jeep people talking trash. well it fit but not with out crushing the front r fender smashing the door braking the door handle : off and denting the rear quater panel as well. the left side received a dented fender in 2 spots a dent to the back quarter that had to be beaten back in to place so i could get my top bad on right. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif one more thing all my bodies said that we should rename the trail to the red trail because of all the red paint that was left be hind from my k5

19. thebigdaddyof2

OH MY GOD....I believe I DO remember seeing red paint on some of the trees! I know I saw blue and white several places. Guess I don't feel bad at all....my battle wounds don't sound nearly as bad as yours. Had I not carefully worked the Blazer through some spots, I'm positive my damage would have been much more severe.

Talking about the paint made me think of the other stuff I saw. Every place where I was twisted up AND had to squeeze through or around trees, I remember seeing PILES of automotive glass!

Now, with that said......who wants to run the <font color="orange">Orange Trail????</font color>

Keith, will you make the Midwest Summer or Fall K5 Runs?

20. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

You guys gotta promise not to laugh, but are there any trails in Attica that won't beat the $#!+ out of my Blazer? I gotta drive this thing to work, ya know /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif
    Also, could a stock Blazer do any of this, cuz that's all I got.