Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATTN: 1 ton gurus K3500 VS V30 WTF is the difference

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Okiemuddog, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Okay, bought a D60 from an 88 1 ton. The question is, I work for Autozone /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif, I went to look up some parts for my axle today. Our computer lists a K3500 and a V30 /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif, both are 1 tons and both 4wd, WTF is the difference, most of the part numbers are different, I thought all 1 ton 4wd's stayed in the K-class and the 1/2 and 3/4's went to the V-body. I am really confused here, I know some of you probably know right off, this site is still the best for GM 4wd info /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Thanks for the help in advance

Krennen

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

in 87 all chevy trucks changed from c/k to r/v even the one tons. as for the part number difference /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

V30 = old bodystyle 1 ton

K3500 = new bodystyle 1 ton

If ya look up parts for a K3500 you get parts for an IFS truck. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well I do know that the burbs, blazers, crewcab 1 tons stayed with the old body style and strait axle until 91'. IFAIK a v30 is what your axle came from and a K3500 would be the new style IFS 1 ton truck. I think that if you ordered a crew cab it was the old body style and if you ordered the reg. cab it was the newer body style. Correct me if I'm wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. Okiemuddog

that is what I am staring to figure out on the site, what is up with the F'ed parts look? I have never seen an '88 1 ton with IFS, stupid computer. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    that is what I am staring to figure out on the site, what is up with the F'ed parts look? I have never seen an '88 1 ton with IFS, stupid computer. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You could get a regular cab 88 1 ton with IFS IIRC.

The computer, just like a catalog, expects you to know what make and model of vehicle you're working on. While a 1986 GMC K3500 happens to be the same truck as your V30, in 1988, GM didn't refer to that bodystyle of vehicles that way. So in order to find parts for it, you've got to know what you're working on, just like any other vehicle.

The biggest thing about being a parts guy is transferring what you know you're looking at in your head to an actual part number that can be pulled from the shelf. Many people approach this several different ways...for me, visualizing the actual part that the customer is working on nets the best results for me.

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think that if you ordered a crew cab it was the old body style and if you ordered the reg. cab it was the newer body style. Correct me if I'm wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ] You are correct, on autotrader ive seen 88 reg cab duallys in the new body style. Ive seen crew cab 88's in the old body style

8. Okiemuddog

This is true, but kind of hard to know waht part you are looking for when you don't have the old one to look at. Basically, my D60 is not here yet, so I don't know what the parts look like. I do realise that in parts sales you have to know what the part looks like, I.E. brake calipers, the V30 and K3500 have two different brake calipers, so pulling them off the shelf and looking at them would do me no good. I know from the BOM numbers on the axle that is is from a 88-91.5 V30, I was just wanting to know the difference between them.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just pretend that you've got a 1986 K30. For your purposes, all the parts will be the same, and you won't become confused. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Okiemuddog

Okay, lets make this simple, WTF is the difference, GM made a 1 ton with a D60 and 1 with IFS, is this correct? That was all I wanted to know, not a lesson in how to sell parts, trust me I have no problem with getting the right part to the customer the first time. I did not make it to CS, being one of those morons that just know how to look [darn] up on the computer like most AZ'ers that people have the misfortune of dealing with.

11. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Okay, lets make this simple, WTF is the difference, GM made a 1 ton with a D60 and 1 with IFS, is this correct?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Basicly what GM did was sell two diffrent 1 tons from 88-91. They kept the old body style that used to be known as the C/K30 and renamed it the V30. V30's from 88-91 were the four door crew cabs and they also sold them as cab chassie models. SO basicly all V30 4x4's still had a D60 op front and all K3500 had IFS.

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Up to '86, the K30 was the Chevy designation and the K35(00) was the GMC designation.

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    K35(00) was the GMC designation

[/ QUOTE ]
    So what Your saying there Wes is that some one could use the name "thatK35guy" /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Hell I would do it just to piss You off /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Okay, lets make this simple, WTF is the difference, GM made a 1 ton with a D60 and 1 with IFS, is this correct? That was all I wanted to know, not a lesson in how to sell parts, trust me I have no problem with getting the right part to the customer the first time. I did not make it to CS, being one of those morons that just know how to look [darn] up on the computer like most AZ'ers that people have the misfortune of dealing with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never meant to imply that you don't know how to sell parts. I simply stated that an 88 K3500 and 88 V30 are not the same vehicle, and that is why the part numbers were different. Very few items are shared between IFS and SFA rigs.

15. Okiemuddog

Ah, ok, my apologies, I kind of have a hair trigger this week, just finished inventory on Thursday, so trying to recover. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Personally, I think the reason for the 2 body styles is either GM used the opportunity to consume excess parts or they simply weren't prepared to produce the new body style for either the 4 door cab or SUV body tubs.

17. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    K35(00) was the GMC designation

[/ QUOTE ]
    So what Your saying there Wes is that some one could use the name "thatK35guy" /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Hell I would do it just to piss You off /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't make any difference to me. There is only one "thatK30guy" and its going to stay that way. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

18. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

A guy in our club has either an '88 or '89 extended cab dually 4x4 with the new body style and IFS.

19. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    A guy in our club has either an '88 or '89 extended cab dually 4x4 with the new body style and IFS.

[/ QUOTE ] I think it was only the crew cabs that stayed with the old body style.

20. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I think it was only the crew cabs that stayed with the old body style.

[/ QUOTE ]

Crew cabs AND cab&chassis were both the old body style V-series up to '91. '88 and newer body styles got the K-series name.