Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATTN: AK-57 owners....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Roshambo, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Roshambo

Roshambo Registered Member

I'm starting a new job at a place that does marine fabrication, and it looks like I'll be able to spend some money on the Jimmy sooner than I thought I would.

Keep in mind I am still sort of a noob when it comes to wheeling, all my wrench time has been on muscle cars.

Anyways, I think for what I want my truck to do the AK57 is the smartest route, at least till I get crazy. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So, my questions are: What shocks are you guys running, and how long did the install take? Also, I have a 4" lift already, so is that going to present any problems?

It doesnt really look like too much of an involved process and I am ASE certified with a pretty big tool box. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Any other tips/hints/ideas are welcome.

-Joe

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Took me and a few friends about 6 hours to knock it out with lots of breaks. Of course we really didn't know what we had to do. You have to drill out your spring plates with a hole saw b/c the center pins on the springs are offset. You have to take your bumper brackets off and drill 1 hole into the frame. And other than that its 100% bolt on.

Mine sits level with 6" front springs but I think you can get a 4" kit or it just depends how high you mount the bumpstops for the shackles (?) maybe 45acp can answer this part better.

I'm running SX8000 shocks from TuffCountry. You may need to get extended brake lines or do what I did. get a peice of scrap metal about 5"x 1/2" drill two holes in it to move it up (where the brakelines bolt to the diff cover)

Here are some flex pics... these were taken early into the ramping, so this isnt full flex (obviously since the tire hasnt lifted)

http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/lonestar/album308/rti1

http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/lonestar/album308/rti2

I highly recomend, i had a few "man look at that crazy suspension" when I was at Katemcy Rocks 2 weeks ago.

3. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Joe, There are lots of ways to do this but a easy fix with lots of travel and not to expensive. Use the Ford shock towers (E5TZ-18183-A) around $10-$15 each and angle them forward bolted to the frame. Use Rancho shocks (RS99036) around $70 each with 15" of travel. Make your own mounts and you will have close to 30" of wheel travel with the AK57. Not to bad to get 30" of wheel travel on the rear axle for under $800 - $900 total. 45ACP

4. Roshambo

Sweet, nice pics! Now that is encouraging. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

How would you say the ride is with your setup? Ive been tossing around the idea of doing a 6" lift and at least going up to 35s anyways... damn, I havent even started and Im getting crazy. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Anymore pics would be great too.

-Joe

5. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Joe, The 57" springs are very soft (flex) so the ride is greatly improved. I am building a set (7") for Cory Rapoza/bikinnotdykin right now but thats the limit in how high I will go with it.

6. Roshambo

Cool.. either I'm getting old or.. hmm, nevermind. But my truck rides very stiff with the RS5000's... much stiffer than anything Ive ever driven, even my old lowered 82 Z28. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I can't wait to get this thing started. What shocks to you run 45acp?

-Joe

7. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Joe, Rancho 99036

8. Roshambo

[ QUOTE ]
    Joe, Rancho 99036

[/ QUOTE ]

Note to self, read twice, then ask. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Whoa, I'm not a stranger anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I am running Rancho 5112s.I built a bolt in upper mont and welded the lower mounts to the axle.I have changed my setup a little since this pic was taken but you will get the idea.The install only took me 2-3 hours.The only thing I can realy think of to recommend is install some bump stops.It is very easy to over compress these springs and ruin them.

[​IMG]

Flex= /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[​IMG]

10. Roshambo

Thanks for the pics and info Frizzlfry, I'll have to add bumpstops to the list then. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Joe

11. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hijack but will I have to lenghten my driveshaft for the 6" lift? I think I heard that you shouldnt with the ak57

Nick

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

brian didnt have to on his burban(running springer, and to this day the only one i know of, but same stuff in the end) marv told me that he has had a person or two with lenghtened drive shafts that had to shorten them back down to stockish length with the springer once the blocks are gone. the axle swings FWD as it comes down a lot more than with the stock setup.
    grant

13. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

ok but Ill still need to do the front right?

14. Seventy4Blazer

yes, but if you like a spacer on the front should be fine.
    brian also is running the stock front shaft with 6 inch springs and ORD shackles. they are stif enough so as not to flex on normal driving but if he were to flex it out then he would pull it appart.
    grant

15. Roshambo

So, I may, or may not have to lengthen the DS if I go with a 6" lift? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

-Joe

16. Seventy4Blazer

some have to some dont. i think it depends on the t-case and tranny being used along with what front axle, as they all add or subtract an inch or two here or there.

nick, i would go with a new front driveshaft once you get your D60 in. IF you are going to go with the double then i would wait for that or get your front shaft lengthened.
    Grant

17. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

What Grant said. Mine are stock lenght. My rear springs are built a little bit higher than six inchs (to account for more weight of a suburban). I put the burban on a frame lift and let the axle drop until the bracket hit the hanger and there were no problems with the driveshaft (or trackbar for that matter.) The front I have to investigate, but not really worring about it until doubler and tranny swap is done.

And yes I have the only Suburban with "orignal" springer suspension. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. magnum4x4

magnum4x4 Registered Member

If I get the ak57 kit what size rear 57" springs would I need to match my 6" of lift in the front? 2" or 4" or what? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

19. bikinnotdykin

bikinnotdykin Registered Member

I had the ak57 kit and twisted the springs bad on my 2nd trip out in moab on easter weekend, I luckily found a local who had a set of 1 ton 56" springs he sold me for 20 bucks. I have been running these with no problem but the ak setup takes some getting used to. I sometimes wish I wouldn't have spent the money on it. It is also unpredictable at times. I was also doing some hard wheeling in moab too. and I did not have a track bar on at the time I bent the springs. in my opinion the ford springs are way too soft to do anything in the real world other than break and ramp champ. that's my review take it how you want!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

20. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am running Rancho 5112s.I built a bolt in upper mont and welded the lower mounts to the axle.I have changed my setup a little since this pic was taken but you will get the idea.The install only took me 2-3 hours.The only thing I can realy think of to recommend is install some bump stops.It is very easy to over compress these springs and ruin them.

[​IMG]

Flex= /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]little off topic but when you flex dont those shocks compress enough were it breaks the mount on the body or frame