Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Attn. all 350 owners w/ headers..spark plugs, and collector bolt questions!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dawson444, Dec 25, 2003.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

If you have headers on your 350, 2 questions, do you run any special spark plugs so you can get them off w/ the headers still bolted on?

Also any tips on keeping the collector bolts from siezing up? Thanks!

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

to the spark plug ??---on the ones that were real close, I would "clearance" the header so I could get a socket on them---i have the full length heddman headders on right now and i have to use a wrench on the #5. i had to get some shortys recently but don't know if everything well be kosher.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I use a wrench, a plug socket, an extension, and a ratchet. Only number 6 is a total pain in the ass.

4. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I have the cheap Flowtech headers and I only have to use a wrench on #6, the rest are pretty easy. Sometimes I wish the collector bolts would seize up, I cant keep a nut on them longer than 5 minutes.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

use lock washers or double-nut the collector bolts, i neve rhad any problme with bolts coming loose on my 81 with 350 and headers in it, and stepdad never has any problem in his 82 with 350 and headers either, the problem we have here is major rot, entire collectors rotting off /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif mny bolts were frozen in a year already there was no way they would have ever come loose anyways.
    stuff rusts up fast!

6. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

I tack welded the collector bolts w/ a wire feed. Either customize your header or your socket with a grinder. I took a thin wall socket and ground it down some more in order to fit.
    Ernest

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

My brother is running into problems with his right now and he is going to use header spark plugs. Little bit shorter plug to clear the pipes. I think we will also buy a 12 point socket and cut it down and then weld a handle to it to make the extraction easier. As far as the collector bolts we have gotten into a habbit of cutting the collector flange off and welding on a reducer. Then we can use a regular exhaust clamp instead of the terribly designed 3 bolt collector.

8. bushmaster

bushmaster 1/2 ton status

i have hedman tork step hedders and can get all plugs out easy only problem is burning #8 plug boot i cut off collecters and welded on flow masters ball and socket collecter its exelent all hedders should have that

9. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

One other possible problem you could run into is the plug wires. My big block headers require that I use plug wires with a 45 degree angle boot

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Re: Attn. all 350 owners w/ headers..spark plugs, and collector bolt questi

I use two Brass nuts per collector bolt. Tighten the first one, the bind the second one against the first. They don't come loose, and they come off when you want them to. Don't try stainless, it doesn't work well with the heat.
    Make sure the flanges are welded to the colletors. That's crucial to their staying flat. Cheapie headers that have them on there loose probably have too thin of a flange anyway. Put a flex section in the head pipe, that will keep the exhaust from pulling on the flanges and causing the gaskets to fail.