Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATTN. all ck5 members between Chico california, and Eugene Oregon....

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by BIG*RED, May 28, 2005.

1. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

Well as some of you might have read before, i have been thinking of moving. and after much thought and research, i think i'm gonna head up to Oregon. perhaps the eugene/springfield area....Thats the most familar area to me..i used to live there and graduated from thurston high in springfield..i like the no sales tax, cheaper gas, not having to pump my gas, and the fact that as of right now you don't have to smog in lane county..although i just read portland and medford areas now require smog..so i assume it will reach lane county eventually..but thats ok..don't have to smog for now:)
    I will most likely be heading up there with in the next three weeks..and i'm looking to make a contact list of ck5 members near the I -5 corridoor. in case something goes wrong ie..run out of gas, something breaks..etc...that i can call for help..i will have a cell phone with me..i know i won't have reception in all areas, especially over the pass..but i also have a cb with a 8 foot(or some where around there) whip...
    also, any of you guys in the eugene / springfield area want to meet up when i get there that would be cool, i haven't been there in about 10 years, so i currently have no contacts or friends up there, and that way i won't be compleatly alone..:)
    If anyone is interested and can help out, pm me..thanks.

2. hd-10

hd-10 1/2 ton status

hi i was born and raised up out side of medford and the only thing about the smog is that it is in a valley and portland that's hole different story so i wouldn't worry about smog anyware else.

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I think Jeremy, 55willy is in Eugene still but working a little farther north.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

yeah i use to live there for almost 24 years, i'm just up the road( 42 miles) now in Corvallis. no smog :)

5. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

i lived in eugene/springfield for the first 18 years of my life and then came to seattle and love it here. im not on your way here but good luck on your trip. and welcome to the pacific region.

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

my folks live in the wretched place called eugene... no disrespect to those of you who grew up there/live there, as i know a couple of you. you guys already know my view on the area. i was born in oregon (corvallias) and lived in state till 8, then up to washington till 17. at 17 moved to Eugene. that place can burn in hell and take my ex wife with it. no economy, gas prices are just as high as here in so cal, and drugs are comming out places they shouldnt.....

sorry... had to vent... but on a good note ill be there sat afternoon.... moving the GF from stayton to Arizona.... then only to return to OR once in a while..... the less the better.
    Grant

7. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Ok, I'm not a fan of the hippies in Eugene or the whole U of O area, but you're a little off on some of that stuff. I just filled up in Eugene for $2.05, I doubt that that's the price in So Cal. At any rate, that's still cheaper than up here in WA.

I'm from Oakridge, just down the road from Eugene/Springfield, and since we have nothing in our town, we always had to head to the valley when we needed something (even groceries). So I've spent a lot of time in that area, and Eugene is a bit liberal for my taste, but Springfield isn't bad. I've been sent quite a few places and seen some cities in different areas since I've enlisted. WA definitely isn't my cup of tea, and as far as big cities go, Eugene/Springfield would have to be at the top of my list.

As far as drugs go, I've never seen anything more than pot in my area. Sure, there's meth labs in other places, but those are everywhere else anyway. And let's see, who's right next to Mexico....?

There must be something else to your grudge against OR, I just can't see it. As far as bad places to be goes, I can't think of much worse than CA. Nothing personal, but there's just too many people, too many RICH people, too many places where someone speaking english is the minority, too many STUPID laws, and too many fads and fancy cars. I like things a little simpler, and sure, Oregon may not have the best economy and the richest people, but that doesn't bother me. I know I'll always be able to beat enough of the competition to have a job, and hey, that's capitalism. Fine for me, I can compete. I just feel more at home where everyone knows the value of a buck. Besides, I've never seen another place with so many old trucks. :D

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  8. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

well while we are on the subject as alot of you know I grew up in eugene/springfield area for 17 years. I saw more drugs than i ever care to again in my life. not that seattle s much better. but at least there is more to do in seattle than sit around and get stoned. I moved here from oregon because the economy was so bad i could bearly hold a good enough job to pay my rent. Ya there are alot of yuppies in seattle but I also make alot of money off those yuppies. as far as old trucks yes it is true you will never see as many as you do ther. but alot of that is because THEY CANT AFFORD NEW ONES. most of my family all still lives there and bearly make it by since the lumber industry went to ****. there are bad things about wherever you live and you just have to make the best of it. but i am with grant in the issue of i will never move back there for anything.

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I think if you get anything out of Grant's reply it is his EX lives there... probably all that needs to be said about why he feels that way about that area ;)

10. Seventy4Blazer

nah, from day one i hated eugene. to many drugs. EVERYWHERE in that city. cant go anywhere after dark without being asked atleast once to buy one flavor or another. the economy in oregon sucks due to some of the laws. people are down in oregon it seems as well. i just cant stand the area, let alone most of the state.

now, for the guy who said cali is a worse place... I AGREE!!! and i dont live here by choice, but until the marine corps sends me back to arizona... or i get out... 16 months left... then im stuck here. arizona has meth and weed, but Eugene has EVERYTHING!! a lack of economy, high drugs, hippies, taxes out the asssss and i have a personal reason for hating Peter Defazio also....

Arizona is my home now. i just have to move back there.
    Grant

11. Seventy4Blazer

ohh, and you are right... gas is now less expensive than so cali... BUT when i was home a couple months ago it was 1 to 4 cents higher....

if you didnt HAVE to pay someone to pump it for you it would be about 5 to 8 cents per gallon less.... but since the economy sucks so bad they "have to make jobs" and thats one way of doing it.
    Grant

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I spent 24 years of my life in Eugene. I moved to Idaho and have since moved back to oregon but this time to Corvallis. it's about a 3rd the size of Eugene. Its still a college town so you have the hot girls everywhere but I have to say there is NO WHERE NEAR as many hippies and liberals here.

and on the drug note... i could probably go to any area high school there and within 20 minutes find you ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING illegal for yeah. I never did any there but had plenty offered to me.

the only things i don't like about corvallis is:
    no strip clubs (which can be a good thing :blush: ..closest is in salem or eugene)
    harbor frieght( again salem or eugene)
    sears (albany or Eugene)

just my 2 cents.

13. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well Eugene definitely isn't my favorite place on earth, but Springfields not that bad. And I'd hate to think that someone could read this and apply what they hear to the entire state, because it couldn't be farther from the truth.

FYI, here's a few facts from netstate.com

Oregon
    14th in crimes reported per 100,000
    25th in per capita income

Arizona
    3rd in crimes reported per 100,000
    37th in per capita income

California
    5th in crimes reported per 100,000
    8th in per capita income

Washington
    12th in crimes reported per 100,000
    11th in per capita income

Disposable per capita income follows very closely with the per capita, so I woouldn't necessarily say that the Oregonians have old trucks cause they can't afford a new one. It seems like there's just a lot that hang on to them for things like hunting, fishing, offroading, etc. There just tends to be a more outdoorsy trend, which is perfect for me. I also enjoy the climate. AZ has always seemed like a nice place too, I just cant take the heat. :crazy: My times in Texas were the worst I've ever had.

I'd say it's all a matter of perception. If you hang out near the slums and all the worst places that an area has to offer, that's going to be what you see. I spent 18 years of my life in Oakridge, and quite a bit of time in Springfield during those years and never saw what you guys are describing. Probably depends on where you go and when. You can find it if you look, in any place.

14. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

ok so out of all of this post that i wrote there is a lot of replies, but only one answers my question..and that is 55williys..